Author Topic: Using flasher in weedy waters  (Read 1557 times)

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Using flasher in weedy waters
« on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:31 PM »
So i fished a lake that had weeds everywhere, not a single spot without weeds. Average depth was 10 feet and weeds were about 5 feet high. It was very hard to see anything on my flasher (vx1), just a bunch of lines basically. Obviously, all those lines were the weeds. It was very hard to find my jig mixed in with all those lines unless i jigged above the weeds. Also had to crank up the sensitivity much higher than usual to have an idea of where my jig is.  I am not sure if some more advanced flashers can actually distinguish the weeds from the jig and the fish and give you a better picture. After a while i came up with an idea to clear some weeds from under my hole by snagging them with a spoon and treble hook. After a few minutes i got rid of most of the weeds which made a huge difference for a flasher signal. I was able to see a more clear picture. I started seeing my jig and fish that came by.
Anyone else had any experience using flasher in weedy water? Any tips?

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using flasher in weedy waters
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:19 PM »
I believe the newer FL28 have a weed mode in them. I would like to know how well it works.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:43 AM »
When I'm fishing in weeds, I switch to either the camera, or the old school method. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:17 AM »
shallow weedy water I use weed mode on the vexilar flx28.takes the clutter right out and shows me those fish tucked in the weeds only.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:09 AM »
You should be able to adjust your gain and sensitivity in order to see the jig penetrate the weeds and the fish standout in the weeds. Here is a Helix 5 with the sensitivity turned down dramatically - 4' column of weeds in a sandy bottom. Jig at 7.5', 2 bluegills rising out of the weeds and dropping back down. You can see the trail of the fish trough the weeds - you can track your jig in the weeds the same way.

Catchin' Fish

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:15 PM »
I have a vexilar fl12. In the weeds i put the flasher in low power mode and have no issues seeing the lure and fish. Works great.

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:09 PM »
shallow weedy water I use weed mode on the vexilar flx28.takes the clutter right out and shows me those fish tucked in the weeds only.

Thats exactly how my 28 works also. Great in shallow weeds. You can also use the LP mode.

One trick I have recently learned for the 28 is:

You can use Auto Zoom and Low Power at the same time.  To do this:

1.     Turn your unit off
2.     Set the gain at “0”
3.     Select “LP” on your mode switch
4.     Turn your unit on while holding in the gain button

The unit will briefly say “Low Power” when you first turn it on.  Now all mode functions are in Low Power.  Simply turn the unit off and back on to go back to normal function.
- See more at: http://www.vexilar.com/pages/flx-281#sthash.cjpiTqLc.dpuf

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:53 PM »
I've had d the same trouble but I don't fish so much weeds that I would upgrade to the 28,... although that weed function sounds awesome! I find with a little practice I can track my jig and fish but it definitely takes some concentration. Getting familiar with your machine and recognizing subtle changes to me is just as valuable as a bunch of different "features". But that said I'd still try to peer through those weeds on my vx-1 rather than go old school. I'm hooked on my flasher for sure  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.