Author Topic: Building a fishing "box" any suggestions or tips??  (Read 1116 times)

Offline gumbellion

• IceShanty Rookie
Building a fishing "box" any suggestions or tips??
« on: Dec 16, 2015, 11:16 AM »
I am hoping that someone can give me some inspiration for my xmas holiday project
I just bought a pelican ice 75 sleigh for behind the sled and i would like to make some kind of box that will hold all my ice fishing stuff in a nice and organized order, that i can put in the sleigh or back of the truck when i want to go fishing, then take it out and put it in the garage to thaw afterwards and keep everything tidy, clean etc.
What i imagine is having 2 kind of storage levels with a sheet of wood or rigid plastic between them  and the things that never need to leave the box will go in the bottom, and the top will be for things that i remove after each outing.  There will be a lid/top on the box so everything isn't covered in snow and it will be about 30 inches tall.
Obviously its a rough idea, and there will be adjustments on size and where dividers etc go.  But also if there is something missing that i am forgetting please let me know

What i have in mind would be something like below probably around 20x60ish.  The main factor will be how tall my fatfish 949 is as i havent measured it

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Re: Building a fishing "box" any suggestions or tips??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2015, 05:38 PM »
first thing you need will be a smitty sled, http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0, makes it lots easier to pull. Keep playing with the layout, you'll figure it out. Make sure to add pics

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Link to a thread where I documented my ice box build. 

It's stand-alone and doesn't need a sled to ride it.  Spent alot of time laying it out and making sure everything would fit in an organized fashion.

Good luck on your build, and post pictures. 

P.S. No matter how much you plan it out and double & triple check things, you'll end up afterwards saying "I should have done xxxx differently".   ;)

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=295083.0

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Just a suggestion, keep it light, maybe look at plastic totes instead of plywood? Setting it in/out of the truck might get old.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2015, 11:01 PM »
how wide is the sled cause I wonder if two plastic truck boxes would work? then you can lift one out at a time and they got locks none the less we all know what I mean by locks... but having them separate might be lighter? or stacked on top of each other  I get a picture In a second on the truck box I am thinking of the kind that goes across the bed if you got a question I am sure you ask about them..i wonder if you can make feet for them and stack them on top of each other?  cause I think 3/4 ply wood weight about 60 pounds per sheet 4x8 foot approx. were those plastic truck boxes 15 to 20 pounds were you need about two sheets to make this box so that's 120 lb plus gear... see why we brought it up I would get some ratchet straps strap two boxes together is my though.. 1/2 inch is about 40 to 45 pounds per sheet 4 x8 foot...still that 80 to 90 pounds plus gear.. for two sheets made in to a two level box...  it like dragging a job site box in a sled...   could even make a smitty to hold two of them truck boxes that the smitty sled folds up for storage to?    any how let us know what you decide on?

or three of these in the sled or some thing similar... and make a small box for the shanty?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-co-heavy-duty-poly-utility-storage-box-32-in

the type of truck box I was thinking was this but in plastic this one is light at 24 pounds to.. but two would weight about 50 pounds poly even less... 

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/better-built-70-in-crossover-single-lid-narrow-lo-pro-truck-tool-box

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:38 AM »
here's acouple of pics of a box that's for sale around here on craigslist.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Just a few thoughts.
If the outside dimensions are 20"W X 60"L X 30"H, it can likely  be top heavy even with most of the added weight of gear in the bottom.  Also, with this loaded on a Smitty Sled which makes portability easiest. the load is then higher making balance a little more unstable.
Maybe going with one level at 30" wide and 15" tall you can gain a much more stable and manageable load with room to throw extras on top if necessary.
20" wide outside dimensions will make the inside compartments quite small. The test of time with ice fishermen has proven that more available space is is never excessive.
Adaptability has made us a persistent and useful group of inventive sportsmen.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.