Author Topic: UV Chargers for Glow Lures  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
UV Chargers for Glow Lures
« on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Hey guys wondering if you can show pictures of your uv charge boxes for glow lures .....

I came up with a low cost solution from a uv led I made up for my archery equipment but I may want to build on it a bit to get more output  from it ....

I plan to swap lures thru this pocket as I fish another.

Take a look and post images of your options

Set the hook till their eyes cross

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: UV Chargers for Glow Lures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Man 75 views and no comments did I post this in the wrong section .......  I was looking for other alternatives and ideas .....  Post them up fellas

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:24 PM »
I picked up a rapala glow box this year, but that is a good mod on your box old crow ice. Some of the views come from lurkers not always users
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2012, 11:28 PM »
I picked up a rapala glow box this year, but that is a good mod on your box old crow ice. Some of the views come from lurkers not always users

Cool options  - Are the Leds Standard white light or Blue UV Leds ?

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Ive got a lure Lightning on my Flasher...works awesome.

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:58 PM »

Looks likes a great option -how is battery life

http://www.lurelightning.com/pages/lure_lightning.php

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Looks likes a great option -how is battery life

http://www.lurelightning.com/pages/lure_lightning.php

It hooks up to your flasher battery, push button  on switch (light is on only when holding button) I have had mine for just about 7 years and still works great. Your jigs are very bright and last longer.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Just bought a lure lightning for myself and my son.
Can't believe how well they work and how well they are built.
I've built and tried almost everything imaginable and they are great!!

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Some good info ... on the topic

http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/light-source.aspx

Choosing a bulb to charge your glow in the dark items

The brightness and type of bulb determines the efficiency at which phosphorescent material charges. Efficient bulbs not only charge faster, but can obtain a brighter level of glow.

A black light shining on a glow surface for 30 seconds will cause that surface to be 10 times brighter than a flashlight on it for 6 hours.

Here is a simple list of bulbs in order from least to most efficient:

White LED's
Blue/Purple LED's
Incandescent - standard light bulb
Compact Fluorescent or CFL - spiral tube, screw-in
Fluorescent Bulbs - long tubes
UV LED's
Black Light Tube
Direct Sunlight

The efficiency of light as a phosphorescent charging source is determined by its brightness and its spectrum. White light is comprised of equal amounts of all of the colors, such as red, green, and blue. White light bulbs typically also emit ultraviolet (UV) light, which is the "color" above purple in the spectrum, which humans can not see.

Each part of the spectrum effects glow in the dark materials differently.

Red light actually discharges the glow pigments.
Green light is neutral.
Blue Light inefficiently charges the pigments.
Ultraviolet light charges the pigments efficiently.

A standard incandescent light bulb emits similar amounts of the four colors above. The green does not effect the glow pigments. The red discharges and the blue charges in similar amounts, which results in a cancelation. The result is that only the ultraviolet is working to charge the phosphorescent pigments.

Therefore, when using a 100 watt incandescent light bulb as a charging source, only about 10-25 watts are working to actually charge the pigment. Therefore, a 60 watt black light bulb will far outperform the higher powered white light.

The efficiency of white light can be determined by the ratios of the colors contained. "Warm" lights contain more red and therefore are poor for charging glow in the dark items. "Cool" or "Daylight" bulbs contain more blue and therefore are slightly more efficient. Fluorescent bulbs, both CFL and tube style, naturally emit more ultraviolet light, which makes them more efficient.

Black lights have another major advantage. White light bulbs cause the human eye to adjust to the bright light. When the light is removed, it takes 15 minutes for human eyes to adjust back to the darkness. If your eyes are adjusted for a bright room, then even the brightest phosphorescent material will appear dim when the light is removed.

Black lights do not cause your eyes to readjust. For most applications, this will cause the glow in the dark materials to "appear" considerably brighter.

The final major consideration is direct vs. reflected light.  Many ceiling fixtures are designed to point light down onto a room.  Therefore, the only light reaching the glow in the dark stars on your ceiling is reflected.  Reflected light is extremely inefficient for charging.

This holds true for sunlight entering through a window.  While a room inside may look bright, it is mostly from reflected light.  This is also why glow in the dark house numbers on a west-facing house are brighter at 10pm than an east-facing house.

A frequently asked question at Glow Inc. is "How long does it take to get a full charge" The easy answer is that any of our products will be at their maximum charge from any light source in 20 minutes. However, that is a useless answer.

"Maximum Charge" will change depending on the light source. A black light on for seconds can cause our products to glow brighter than an incandescent bulb lit for 10 hours. Of course, the speed of charge is also determined by the light source.

A "full charge" is also a hard statement. Under black light, most pigments will get to 80% of their charge within seconds, 90% over 30 seconds, 95% over about 2 minutes, 100% in about 10 minutes.

This is further complicated by the size of the pigment. Larger pigments can glow brighter and longer, but charge slower.

In conclusion, use a black light if possible.  If white light is needed use CFL "Daylight" bulbs.
A request from the author:

Glow Inc. has always been at the forefront of providing free technical information on the subject of "glow in the dark".  Most recently, we added the Glow in the Dark Forum so that customers can add to this free information base.

However, we are in desperate need of exposure on the Internet.  If you enjoyed this article, please consider putting a link to it on your website, blog, or your favorite forum.

Offline Hunt_N_Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2012, 01:26 AM »
So Crow, do ya have black light for lures in the works?  ;D

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:17 AM »
I just picked up a black light uv led hand light for 3.00 on ebay.  you only have to charge them for 15 sec to get max glow. 

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Just above the equipment section, in the general tips section, is a much better discussion of the subject.  Old Crow's lengthy post was mostly nonsense.  The visible spectrum is roughly 400NM (purple) to 735nm (red).  The UV section of the spectrum is from 190nm to 400nm.  The shorter the wavelength, in nanometers, the more energetic the light photons are.  Phosphorescent jig paint absorbs high energy, short wavelength UV light, then slowly (minutes) re-emits it at longer, lower energy visible wavelengths.  This is where the visible glow comes from.  Not all UV light wavelengths are absorbed equally. Visible light from an incandescent flashlight is not absorbed at all! Your best results will come from a UV LED flashlight which emits light at 365nm.  They are not hard to find.  You can order them on Amazon or even at Sears.

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Here's the thread from earlier for the UV jig box I setup.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=228648.msg2294005#msg2294005

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Cool Stuff Bucky ......

Here's the thread from earlier for the UV jig box I setup.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=228648.msg2294005#msg2294005

So Crow, do ya have black light for lures in the works?  ;D

I like to weigh and measure my options and know what is out there for sure ....... But I do have a DIY mind set and like to figure out ways to build like and similar projects for my self if cost effective.

The lure lightning looks like the go to design for sure but with 40.00 to work with it may be possible to come with a lower cost option with similar results.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Same here!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.