Author Topic: Smiths diamond bench stones for fillet knives?  (Read 594 times)

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Smiths diamond bench stones for fillet knives?
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Was cleaning some gill the other day and noticed my fillet knives could use a sharpening! The cheapo sharpeners I have just arent gona cut it. Was checking out these diamond bench stones. I have used a lansky kit with the oil etc and hate messing with all that crap! Really I just want something to quickly touch up and maintain an edge during filleting and before. They have 6" sizes and 11.5" size lengths in these stones. I dont know if the 11.5" will be worth the extra $ or not. I pretty much only clean panfish and with either a 4" or 6" fillet knife. Anyone use these on their fillet knives and like them? Or would you steer me to something different?

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smiths diamond bench stones for fillet knives?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:57 PM »
lansky crock sticks work well :)

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:25 PM »
If all that is really needed is a touch-up during a filleting session, a sharpening steel or ceramic should be all you need. I usually do 2-3 fish, swipe the steel a few times and am good to go.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:46 AM »
If all that is really needed is a touch-up during a filleting session, a sharpening steel or ceramic should be all you need. I usually do 2-3 fish, swipe the steel a few times and am good to go.

Ya I almost bought a nice 10" steel but I ended up ordering the diamond bench stones because Id like to sharpen some older knives as well. I think Ill be gettin a steel when I get a nice fillet knife though.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:49 AM »

Thats what I do.The thing is,is to not let the knives get dull in the first place...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.