Author Topic: Little Atom Plastics  (Read 6192 times)

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Little Atom Plastics
« on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Looking for some advice here fellas. I am going to order some plastics to try this year and am not sure what to order, was thinking maybe some micro nuggies and some wedgees in assorted colors. I have never fished plastics in the winter before and am looking to save some time and money using the expertise available on this forum. I fish bluegill most of the time. So what's worked for you and what do you recommend from Little Atom or otherwise?

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Little Atom Plastics
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Looking for some advice here fellas. I am going to order some plastics to try this year and am not sure what to order, was thinking maybe some micro nuggies and some wedgees in assorted colors. I have never fished plastics in the winter before and am looking to save some time and money using the expertise available on this forum. I fish bluegill most of the time. So what's worked for you and what do you recommend from Little Atom or otherwise?
   I'm relatively new @ this game (chasing panfish); but for me ----- Believe in: "THINK SMALL & WIGGLY".....SOO Many choices!!!!!        They all work/  Certain times or places, some work better than others......FISH w/ what you have the most confidence in....My 2 cents,   Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:20 AM »
my .02 I use them can't seem to get them to work. :'( :-\ :-\(not a slam I think they work)  But then That is me.  Friends have won NAIFC with them   I would get nuggies big and small and wedgies also.  I keep using them because I know they work. ;D ;D  Maybe I just need lessons. ??? ??? ???
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:21 AM »
I have had some sucess with bluegills on plastics the best for me have been the micro nuggie
Dave

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I tried little atom baits but im not sold on them, this year I bought maki plastics and they appear to be a far superior bait

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I should have never gone to the Maki Plastics site!  I have just about tripled my choices now. Thanks icejunky.  ;D

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I started using plastics along time ago making some out of used plastic worms that I used for bass fishing slicing them really thin with a razor blade, then went to Little Atom, now I use Maki's all the time ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Little Atom-nuggies, micro nuggies and wedgies...glow and purple

Several Maki's work great as well in many colors

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:37 PM »
UP Jigstick, as far as Little Atom plastics go, my favorites are Micro Nuggies, Nuggies, Spidgies and Duppies.  When the fish are finicky, I use the Spidgies and slice off one tail.  When Crappie fishing, typically use the Nuggies and when Gill fishing, typically the Micro Nuggies.  I also use Maki Plastics but typically favor the Little Atom plastics.  Both are excellent products and like a previous poster stated, it's a matter of what you get comfortable with.  I usually use a horizontal jig (Marmooska, Fiska, Little Atome Optic Stealth) and ensure the plastic comes straight off the hook shank (ensure it is horizontal).  Good luck.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2009, 01:04 PM »
Thanks for the info blackhawks! I too favor the horizontal presentation and fish mostly for gills. I am looking forward to trying them. Always fun to "play" with something new.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 01:49 PM »
I had a fishing buddy tell me that I would never learn to fish plastics till I left my live bate home.  He was right.  Now Plastic is my bait of choice.  If nothing seems to work now I might try a grub.. always plastics first though.
Shut up and fish.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:25 PM »
The difficulty with using plastics is that when lure presentation ends up spinning, it turns the fish off.  So taking the time to thread them on and taking the time to tie a nice knot position on the hook eye makes for the majority of the presentation.  Pre-stretching your line for the depth of your presentation can help eliminate a lot of line memory coils that causes lure spins.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:41 PM »
I found the micro nuggies in purple & red produced the most fish here.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.