Author Topic: Best Bobber Stop  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Bobber Stop
« on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:47 PM »
Whose struggled with bobber stops, either the thread ones move when going through the eyes, or you try those little rubber ones and they end up stretching the line when you move them and they put coils in the line? I would also affix a small piece of rubber band to my line as a stop, but it wasn't moveable.

I was at the ice fishing show and picked up some of the Smart Stop bobber stops. I was a bit skeptical, but after using them this season, they're truly the only stop I'll ever use. I've had the same stops on a few of my rods and they haven't gotten caught up in the rod eyes and I've adjusted them for different depths without affecting the line or loosening up.  I have them on rods with 2, 4 and 6 lb test lines. They even pass easily through the small eyes on my Tickle Stick.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Bobber Stop
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:18 PM »
I have been using this knot for years for my bobber stops. The key is leave the tag ends long so you can pull hard to tighten the knot. Tighten, then slide the knot, tighten then slide the knot, tighten then slide the knot. Trim the tag ends. This knot will not move going through the eyes, and is even slightly difficult to move when changing depths.
https://www.graysofkilsyth.com/flyline-backing-knot.htm

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Another plus with these knots is you don't need a bead, they're just the right diameter.  Some thread knots on very light line are too small and may pass through the bobber, at least for the bobbers I've used so far.  Also, what I like is the guide they come on, so you slide the line in the groove and snap it on - easy peasy. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:06 AM »
I have some of those as well as the common little rubber footballs. Unfortunately they both get hung up on the roller guide of my Shimano reels. I now tie WAXED dental floss using a Uni knot or similar(or maybe just a few 1/2 hitches). I found that the rubber bands fell off when I tried to use them after I had trim them short enough to not be a nuisance.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:13 AM »
For rubber bands, I would wrap a few coils around my finger, then pass either the upper end or lower end of the line through the coils, creating a loop that I would put the rubber band piece in, then tighten down the coiled loop and trim.  This would allow me to pull on the rubber band, then pull both ends of the fishing line to undo the coiled knot; however, this would typically leave a few kinks in the line too. The one major problem with this is, the band wasn't movable, and sometime it was a bit hard to get it to an exact depth, if I wanted to be less than a foot off the bottom for example. 

I truly thought the Smart Stops would move on #2lb test line, like the rubber ones did, especially after re positioning them multiple times, but they haven't yet.  I really like how you can put them on the line without having to put them on before tying your jig.  To me, they're a game changer for flouoro/mono lines, since they're not intended for small diameter spectra lines. 

http://www.clearlyoutdoors.com/fnimall/smart_stop_bobbers_micro.phtml

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Do these work on braid?  I am very interested, as I use big slip bobbers with big bait all summer long.  It is a PITA to use a normal one with a bead all the time.  I end up tying a square not in my main line to keep it in place, then have to re-tie the whole setup if I switch.  Being able to chuck on a bobber in front of the swivel for my leader and tie just one knot, then clip on the stop would be awesome!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2020, 01:00 PM »
If found the CO stops a but finicky to snap on with my big clumsy cold fingers.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2020, 01:37 PM »
PK23, they claim to work on line .004-.012 (2-12lb test) diameter mono/flouro line.  It sounds like you're setup is for northern or musky?  I think most of the braid/Spectra lines people use are 14-20lb mono equivalent, which would be 80-100 lb test in braid.   

SirCranksalot - CO stops, meaning Smart Stops?  You're not supposed to use your fingers to snap them on.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2020, 02:40 PM »
I know---I use pliers but I find them finicky---I guess I should have left out the comments re hands, which have defeated me with other small gizmos such as Fas-Snap.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2020, 03:04 PM »
I tried them years ago and didn't care for them. A friend who owned a bait shop gave them to me to try and at that time they came in different sizes. Maybe they improved them since and I should give them another try if I can find some.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.