Author Topic: FL-18 clutter/interference/ or ?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
FL-18 clutter/interference/ or ?
« on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:31 PM »
New FL-18, used about 6 times, was working great...until today. While in auto zoom the left side (zoom) suddenly filled up with what looked like clutter or interference. I was in about 20' FOW with weeds only near the bottom and no other locator around. After several times of turning the unit on and off and switching to different modes , it would clear up...only to have it "fill up" all over again. My hope is maybe a low battery, but I have my doubts. Anyone else experience anything like this?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: FL-18 clutter/interference/ or ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Works fine in normal mode?charge after each use?if you still have your old fl8se try a battery swap and maybe ducer to troubleshoot it.then call vexilar for either or.ive got batteries and a ducer to try if need be.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:37 PM »
How old is the battery ? Are you charging after each and every use? Did you check the transducer..clean puck face ..hanging straight ..no cuts ..plugged  in and tight ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:39 PM »
How old is the battery ? Are you charging after each and every use? Did you check the transducer..clean puck face ..hanging straight ..no cuts ..plugged  in and tight ?
its brand new.he just bought it.i heard a few guys on a lake i was at Saturday talking about bad batteries being sent to them on their new vexilars .

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Works fine in normal mode?

I'd have to say no Doc. Not 100% sure. I was more focused on the AZ. Sold the FL-8.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:47 PM »

Yes to everything except I did not charge it after the last time out, but only used it about 6 hours. Figured it was enough for another 6 hours today. Maybe not.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:47 PM »
I'd have to say no Doc. Not 100% sure. I was more focused on the AZ.
i suspect a bad battery.guy i was next to Saturday had a brand new flx28 and his battery died after 5 hrs.brand new junk battery.ok i just read.lol charge that battery after each outing iceassin!!!still should get over 20 hrs on it tho.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:52 PM »
i suspect a bad battery.guy i was next to Saturday had a brand new flx28 and his battery died after 5 hrs.brand new junk battery.ok i just read.lol charge that battery after each outing iceassin!!!still should get over 20 hrs on it tho.

Thanks Bud...appreciate 'ya. PM sent too.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Battery may have sat on the shelf for quite some time before you purchased it ..maybe Email or call Vexilar ..they may get you a battery for free.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:06 PM »
Battery may have sat on the shelf for quite some time before you purchased it ..maybe Email or call Vexilar ..they may get you a battery for free.

Bought it from Scheels...would that matter? Would think Vexliar has some sort of record of it. Maybe just give them serial #  for date/proof of purchase?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Bought it from Scheels...would that matter? Would think Vexliar has some sort of record of it. Maybe just give them serial #  for date/proof of purchase?

Start with Vexilar ...unless Scheels is a local trip for you ..would be my play.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Yeah quick email or call to vexilar with date of purchase is all i bet.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:13 AM »
I would be surprised if it was not the battery. Same thing happened to my fl18, but that was after 5 years. got a new battery took care of the issue. Vexilar CS has been very good to work with in my dealings with them.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:19 AM »
I would be surprised if it was not the battery. Same thing happened to my fl18, but that was after 5 years. got a new battery took care of the issue. Vexilar CS has been very good to work with in my dealings with them.
Keep it safe! JDL

Quite sure as well it's the battery.  Called Scheels where I bought it. Sending me a new one...no questions asked. Good folks as well. Also getting a backup battery from another IS member. Good deal...and good guy. 😉

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Quite sure as well it's the battery.  Called Scheels where I bought it. Sending me a new one...no questions asked. Good folks as well. Also getting a backup battery from another IS member. Good deal...and good guy. 😉
Great to hear! I haven’t really shopped at scheels more than once or twice. Have heard good things about their CS.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.