Author Topic: Transducer cord in the hole  (Read 14497 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Transducer cord in the hole
« on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:58 AM »
I've seen some people recently that have bypassed using their floats for their transducers and just hanging the cord over the edge of the hole.  I would think that couldn't be too good for the wires inside.  I can see how the float gets in the way pulling fish up thru the hole. 

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Transducer cord in the hole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:03 AM »
I don't use a float nor does the wire bend over the edge of the hole.  That is why some/most un its have a transducer arm.  The transducer arm hangs over the hole with the transducer hanging straight down the hole.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I don't use a float nor does the wire bend over the edge of the hole.  That is why some/most un its have a transducer arm.  The transducer arm hangs over the hole with the transducer hanging straight down the hole.

Well I made a diy flasher box for my helix.  I would imagine if I can get my hands on one of those transducer arms the rubber grommet that comes with it should be pretty universal for most transducer cord brands.  ???

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:18 AM »
I just dangle mine over the edge of the ice. No worse than dangling it from a transducer arm. Been working for years now

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:28 AM »
I just dangle mine over the edge of the ice. No worse than dangling it from a transducer arm. Been working for years now

If that works for you great.  My experience is I had my cable freeze into the side of the hole at times when it is hanging over the edge.  Never had the cable freeze into the transducer arm.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:31 AM »
I don't stay at a hole outside long enough to have it freeze in. If I'm staying put somewhere, I'm in my otter.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:33 AM »
The  concern with just hanging the transducer over the edge of your case is it could get cut by a sharp edge of your DIY box (piece of rubber could fix that) the other problem is the transducer may not hang level if not straight down and the cord could freeze to the edge of the hole also . The Vexilar float..transducer arm and rubber stopper should work on your DIY box.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:44 AM »
The  concern with just hanging the transducer over the edge of your case is it could get cut by a sharp edge of your DIY box (piece of rubber could fix that) the other problem is the transducer may not hang level if not straight down and the cord could freeze to the edge of the hole also . The Vexilar float..transducer arm and rubber stopper should work on your DIY box.

Thank you, humminbird did give me the foam float for the transducer when I purchased it, so maybe I'll try that but I like the transducer arm probably the best.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Thank you, humminbird did give me the foam float for the transducer when I purchased it, so maybe I'll try that but I like the transducer arm probably the best.

Could use an Eye bolt too..make it removable from your DIY case ..just open it up some to allow the transducer cable to pass through ..could add some shrink tubing too
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:08 PM »
No foam float. I use the eye bolt that came with the Genz pack.

I allow the ducer to hug the edge of the hole while I'm fishing and there is little chance it will freeze there:

1) I remove it each time I hook a fish to keep line from wrapping around it while reeling in.

2) If it is sitting in that hole long enough to freeze, I'm not pulling enough fish through it. Time to move.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:55 AM »
i bought a transducer arm for my Helix. the HB float would not set straight in the hole. My vex float did different kind of foam I guess/
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2020, 07:14 AM »
i bought a transducer arm for my Helix. the HB float would not set straight in the hole. My vex float did different kind of foam I guess/
Keep it safe! JDL

Does humminbird sell one or did you get one from a different maker?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:13 PM »
I don' t like using a float. It just gets in the way. On my Lowrance Elite-5 I mounted an eyebolt to the plastic kit. My Showdown came with a cheap plastic extendable arm. I replaced it with an aluminum arm froma guy selling them on Etsy. On my Garmin set-up I used the broken plastic transducer from my Showdown, drilled a hole through it and bolted it to the DIY mount I made. It swings left and right but does not extend. With the arms I just pick up my unit and transducer all together when I am fighting a fish. The cable does not hang over the top edge of the hole.   
jbird68

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Get a couple feet of 1/4 inch wire loom to slide over the transducer cable, it will prevent it from bending too sharp.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Get a couple feet of 1/4 inch wire loom to slide over the transducer cable, it will prevent it from bending too sharp.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:24 AM »
As long as your ducer isnt a boat anchor and you dont swing it around like a windmill.

The wires should be fine.  ;D

The float is not just for keeping ducer centered. It also makes sure your cord doesnt freeze to the wall of your ice hole. That's the fastest way to break a cord.  ;)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2020, 10:32 AM »
shouldn't hurt the wires.  I have seen some people abuse them pretty good for years and years.  if it bothers you just make shallow hole beside fishing hole and set it in there.  I like that best anyhow so I don't get line wrapped in it.

I only ruined 1 ducer cord in my lifetime.  I bought some eater rabbits from an amish guy to butcher.  well I just tossed them in the back of truck cap to take them home. one of them bit threw my finder cord. lol  I accept that as my fault. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:40 PM »
you can buy a marcum arm and stopper for less than 20$. lots of online stores sell them. seen one made out out of two closed end wrenches. there are aftermarket arms being made. i don't have links. a school is making them for non profit and link is in best ice deals lets hear em topic. theirs is aluminum and two engravings shipped for a 20 spot.

when you use your arm, all you have to do is remove the air from under the transducer. so only less than one inch of it goes in the center of the hole.

another way is drill dedicated holes for electronics and fishing. i use a triangle and fish the bottom two holes and sonar in top hole. you can let the transducer sit just below the ice plate and not worry about line cuts or tangles. be sure the transducer isn't touching the side of the ice hole or it won't point straight down where it needs to be.

when scouting i use one hole and keep less than inch in the hole for marking and fishing.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:28 PM »
you can buy a marcum arm and stopper for less than 20$. lots of online stores sell them. seen one made out out of two closed end wrenches. there are aftermarket arms being made. i don't have links. a school is making them for non profit and link is in best ice deals lets hear em topic. theirs is aluminum and two engravings shipped for a 20 spot.

when you use your arm, all you have to do is remove the air from under the transducer. so only less than one inch of it goes in the center of the hole.

another way is drill dedicated holes for electronics and fishing. i use a triangle and fish the bottom two holes and sonar in top hole. you can let the transducer sit just below the ice plate and not worry about line cuts or tangles. be sure the transducer isn't touching the side of the ice hole or it won't point straight down where it needs to be.

when scouting i use one hole and keep less than inch in the hole for marking and fishing.

+1 on drilling separate hole for electronics  :thumbsup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:46 PM »

X2

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:08 PM »
2nd hole. good place to toss the shorts too. they help keep it from freezing

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:43 AM »
Does humminbird sell one or did you get one from a different maker?
Humminbird does not offer one. I picked mine up from coby manufacturing. Need to contact them though. put mine on my Helix 5 ice and it kind of flops around. Don't know if I am doing something wrong or not.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:57 AM »
I wonder if they supply the little beveled rubber grommet or whatever that goes around the transducer cord that fits in the end of the transducer arm like marcum has ???.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:06 AM »
I like using the float like Uncut Angling does. He often lays the float flat on the ice and the cord hangs over the edge. When he's not using Panoptix of course.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:28 AM »
ask if it comes with hardware also.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:31 AM »

That's cool! I like it

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:38 AM »

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2020, 10:41 AM »
I like using the float like Uncut Angling does. He often lays the float flat on the ice and the cord hangs over the edge. When he's not using Panoptix of course.
Well just goes to show! My problem with the Humminbird float was that it listed to one side. Probably didn’t affect the way the ducer hangs just gets on my nerves. Never even considered just laying the darn thing flat on the ice! One more reason why I love this site!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2020, 10:44 AM »
I wonder if they supply the little beveled rubber grommet or whatever that goes around the transducer cord that fits in the end of the transducer arm like marcum has ???.
If you already have an ice transducer with a float just use the stopper from that. Or diehard was helpful enough to provide links where you can pick one up.
Keep it safe! JDL

Online maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2020, 10:50 AM »

It comes with all the hardware,I have one and its top quality and made in the USA by students.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.