Author Topic: Baitfeeder reels for Ice Rigger or Finicky Fooler style tipups.  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ever since catching my first pike on a rod and reel with the Ice Rigger I will not go back to tipups. Too much fun reeling them instead of yanking them in by hand.
Did have a bad experience last year as a flag went up and I got there just in time to see my rod go down the hole. It was windy so I figure the line got wrapped around a guide or something. Anyway I thought I would try baitfeeder type reels. I bought a KastKing Pontius as it looks just like the Centrons I have and love. Problem was with the rear drag in full off it still felt like there was a lot of tension as the line was feeding out. Was afraid I would be running at flags where the fish had dropped the bait due to the tension. I returned the Pontius and bought one of the new Okuma Ceymars thinking a better brand would offer less resistance but it feels pretty much the same. Anyone that uses this type of setup have any issues with fish dropping the bait? Always seems to be windy when I'm out and the baitfeeder would be perfect solution.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just got an Okuma Avenger and am looking forward to trying it.  The lowest amount of tension not bring low enough concerns me as well.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought the okuma ceymar last year for trout fishing and jigging. I like it BUT my nut under the spool that holds the base of the reel down keeps loosening. Happened many times now, a real pain.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perfect reel would be inline like 13 Descent or Eagle Claw with total free spool but they don't hold very much line.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Foolers were designed so they could be used with an open bail.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Correct but on a windy day the line must have wrapped around a guide or something else and whatever bit took my rod and reel with him down the hole. Don't want to go through that again. Freak thing but stays with you.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Update. Returned the Ceymar and stopped in local tackle shop and picked up an Avenger. Loose as a goose. Returned the Ceymar and got an Avenger from Fish USA for 15% off. Arrived today and just like one in store. 10 bucks less and looks like it works better. Maybe got a bad Ceymar. Now need ice.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
What I have been using for years is a small Shimano BaitRunner. To get the smaller size (they don't sell them in the US) I ordered it from England. A great reel that I use year-round.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Correct but on a windy day the line must have wrapped around a guide or something else and whatever bit took my rod and reel with him down the hole. Don't want to go through that again. Freak thing but stays with you.

Makes sense.  I built my own so they won't fit down the hole. Foolers do look quite susceptible to that

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
Perfect reel would be inline like 13 Descent or Eagle Claw with total free spool but they don't hold very much line.

If the fish runs and then stops you would get a backlash immediately.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Baitfeeder reels for Ice Rigger or Finicky Fooler style tipups.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:58 AM »
If the fish runs and then stops you would get a backlash immediately.

Set the spool tension higher and it will not backlash.

I would worry more about line coming off the side of the spool if its windy.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2020, 01:55 PM »
Set the spool tension higher and it will not backlash.

I would worry more about line coming off the side of the spool if its windy.

And then it also won't be free spool.  And inline drags suck for some reason I wouldn't even think about using one for pike.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2020, 02:55 PM »
And then it also won't be free spool.  And inline drags suck for some reason I wouldn't even think about using one for pike.

Bait clickers operate on the same principle of spool tension as tensioning an inline spool and nobody has issue with it.

I've caught 10lb pike and a 40lb sturgeon on 4lb test using my ghost free fall, no issues with the drag whatsoever so saying their drags are bad is reductive at best. Maybe the one you tried truly had a bad drag, but that's not true for all of them.

But again, wind and inline reels can cause big problems.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:12 PM »
I have been using the discontinued Fish 13 teardrop reel for free spooling. Most guys hate these reels. For outside use unless the temp is above 32. They border on useless. But in the a comfy heated hub they shine. The drag works great for me on all 4 that I got. Using 5# test line.

Used for dead sticking and on finicky foolers. They shine in both applications. I have also used on my boat. Not for free spooling but when jigging. I use the pencil grip and the teardrop excels at that.

The new ceymars are 1000's and 500's . Have two of each both 1000's freespool easy and equally. The 2 500's one is ok the other little too tight. May be some breaking in is required.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Just picked up 3 Okuma Avenger ABF1000’s.   Was able to see them in person. Thought I wanted the 500’s but really think 1000 is more versatile.   If strictly pan fishing then 500 is fine.  I’m going to try these on a 1 Finicky Fooler, one on a Thorne Bro’s dead stick and hold the 3rd for how this all works.   Hope I don’t get one with a bad clutch/drag system.  Seems like a game changer for this type of fishing. 

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Bait clickers operate on the same principle of spool tension as tensioning an inline spool and nobody has issue with it.

I've caught 10lb pike and a 40lb sturgeon on 4lb test using my ghost free fall, no issues with the drag whatsoever so saying their drags are bad is reductive at best. Maybe the one you tried truly had a bad drag, but that's not true for all of them.

But again, wind and inline reels can cause big problems.
I wouldn't use a baitrunner either, if the rod is bending it's too much pressure for me. 2 weeks ago I used a spinning reel with the bail open in some 20mph gust and had no problem, just need to spin the ifish so you know your line wont get caught.

I own a ghost, the drag sucks, it is a well known problem with inlines, never heard of wind being a problem with them though.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:58 PM »
Tried the Avenger on the Fooler on a pond by my son's house. Got 2 flags and by the time I got to them both fish had dropped the bait. Wasn't far away at all and did see bend in the rod. Minnows both looked chewed on. Could have been small fish or a coincidence but the Avenger is going back. Bought a 13 Descent (1/2 price at Dick's) and think this will be the ticket. Adjustable tension on the spool and a pretty good drag. Did some testing in the basement and yanked out line to simulate a fish and no overrun. 20 lb braid mainline. Need to find sweet spot of just enough but not too much spool tension. Only issue is it lays line to one side of spool when retrieving but as long as you know this you can manipulate it. If this doesn't work, back to opening the bail. I really wanted the Avenger to work and even ran the main shaft on my drill in hopes it would loosen up but it didn't. I suppose you could try taking it apart and messing with it but I did that on one of my larger Avenger reels that I use for Carp but that was a nightmare to get back together correctly.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2020, 02:26 PM »
I'm honestly amazed at all the issues you've had. I run 3 of the Okuma Avengers, 2 20 size and 1 30 size, and they're fantastic. I'll probably pick up another Okuma baitfeeder or 2 as I find them on the cheap.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:16 PM »
Those are larger size and likely the older generation. I use size 40 and 50 for Carp fishing and you can dial these down so there is no resistance. The 500 and 1000 are smaller and brand new versions. You got me thinking though. Might try to track down a 2000 size and give it a shot.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:57 PM »
With expectations that seem higher than what these rigs can deliver why not just switch to something different entirely like a tipdown.  Nearly impossible to beat the almost zero resistance of a well rigged tipdown.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:04 PM »
I would worry about the line/spool freezing up when its below 32. I never really use my homemade ice riggers when its cold because the line freezes and causes a lot of drag on the fish, I can only imagine the problem would be worse with a bait runner having the extra resistance... not to mention if the bait runner drag freezes up being on the bottom of the reel.

The first time I tried my ice riggers I had a no8 inline reel on the rod. First run was a backlash so I tightened the spool slightly so it wouldn't happen again and every fish dropped it after feeling the resistance after that. I was fishing for panfish though, I doubt pike care... my old tipups have more resistance than a bait runner on the lightest setting would have. Since using spinning reels I havent had any problems with crappie and perch dropping my bait. I use tipups when targeting pike since these ice riggers are an iffy area if they are considered tipups or not in Iowa (each warden ive asked has said a different thing).
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:00 PM »
The Finicky Fooler hole cover works really well. I've used the set ups without a hole cover down to about 5° and you just need to be vigilant and check your holes. If it were going to be much below 0° I'd go with nanofil on the spool or just use my tipups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.