Author Topic: Traveling Light by Max Lucado  (Read 2694 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Traveling Light by Max Lucado
« on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:24 AM »
...I mean by slipperybob

Anyways seems like I have a crutch to collecting tackle and gear...I'm also one to bring this and that, just in case, what if this happens or that.  There's always a time when something happens and I think, oh I should've brought ___________.  Aside from typical back up flasher/battery, rod combo's, lures, ice skimmer, and the bare necessities of back up, emergency and safety equipment.  The following are extra's that I had at one time brought along.

extra Ice shelter - yeah, my clam 1060 and even back up canvas cover
gravel rake - for leveling the ice chips on the open floor...
push shovel - for pushing snow, ice shavings
gas tank - for auger - not once had I ever had to refill on a day trip

That's all I can think of for now, that even sometimes I still bring the hand auger, just in case...I need to travel light. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dyckee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Traveling Light by Max Lucado
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:30 AM »
I am the exact same way , I know what you mean I always think what if this happens or that . were not supposed to live based on what ifs.

Tight lines
Dyckee
bad day of fishin is better than a good day at work

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:45 AM »
I have a similar problem but it's not the ice gear I travel too heavy with. My mind could accept defeat if something were to fail and I'd head home to a warm cup of coffee. Instead I have a preppers mentality when it comes to safety and mechanical quick fixes. I travel with an assortment of tools, come-along,chains, bungees, ropes in different thickness, inverter generator with 12v charger, t.p., zip ties, and the list could go on. The worst part of my tendencies is I will get done say spreading some straw in the garden and will think to myself "I can't see throwing out this bailers twine, it could have a use if I'm ever in a jam" and I would roll it up and find a place for it in my rig.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I keep two setups, actually three.  I -  5 gal pail with flasher, jigs and bait of some sort ( depends of what the target is ), poles. (2) and the hand auger.
2 - Flip over same stuff plus some backpack cooking stuff ( gots to have my joe ). Maybe the camera, tip ups and live bait.    3 -  Hub shelter when I have grand kids and wife also going.  Then its full on.  All the above  plus folding chairs propane two burner, heater, extra propane, power auger and food, lots of food. Geo.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:56 PM »
My problem is probably obvious.  I'm a sucker for a great deal, even items I already have and don't need anymore of. :P  I could literally supply a small army of ice fisherman with top flight gear.  :whistle:
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Sometimes I suffer when I don't bring out the tire chains...and when I do bring them, there's mostly no need ever.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2017, 08:55 AM »
The Marcum Lithiom Ion shuttle, that's definitely going to be my hole hopper.  Traveling lighter now.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:52 PM »
I think I'm going backwards on traveling light.  It's gonna be more about efficiency now since there is a hill that I need to traverse.  I used to use that deer drag harness, the blaze orange one.  It was okay the fit was good, but I didn't like how the harness was biting into me.  So I'm going to go with a fitness sled pull harness.  Obviously the better ones will have more weight from more material as well as padding.  Now I think that I might want to get a bungee strap to help with the energy transfer.

Now I'm not a big guy by any means.  5'7" about 160 lbs now.  I may need a 42" to clear the chest, but I only need 30" to clear my waist.

I forget who mentioned a Sled Harness by Fringe Sports so I ordered one.  I was sure the medium size would fit as most times that is my size, borderline large.  Well after two weeks of snail mail, it's been delivered and the harness waist belt is basically on my ribs.  It's man bra's.  There is a point to having it up high for like resistance chute training, but I'm too old for that now.  In short ordering the Large size now.

I do like the construction and the 7' pull straps that comes with it.  I think the clip on carabiners are a little cheap.  Those are easy to replace with better quality ones.

As of now, I honestly forgot where have I misplaced my deer drag tow rope and handle.  Now I just need to find a nice quality pair of snow hiking/trekking sticks.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:06 PM »
altho I have so much fishing gear.truckload of augers,4 flashers,6 shanties..tons of crap.ive learned.. well getting older and bad arthritis has taught me to leave all the crap at home and only bring what "I" need for a days fishing.i brought everything in case anybody needed something but learned no one else did in case I needed something.so my load got a lot lighter.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:13 PM »
This year ,auger,bucket ,Plano box,rods. Going real light.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Coming back to this.

Since I acquired the heavier shelter...Eskimo 919i it's heavier @ 44#.  I also got the heavier Eskimo quad chair @ 15#.  I also got spare batteries...more weight.  As always, the first time out on season and sled dragging.  It always feels heavier in snow.  On glare ice and hard crusty ice, it's so easy.

The drill and auger combo sure is light weight.  I sure don't miss my hand auger...

Most of all, it was, I couldn't figure out where to put all my stuff on the Jet Sled XL...The biggest culprit and space taker is the shelter.  It's longer than the sled, so it's wasting up space.

Gone are the days where a young buck could ruck sack 120# and road march just fine.  That 40# plus shelter is heavy to put this old buck winded after a few 100 yds.

This year there is snow on ground and I haven't even decided to make the hill march.  Don't feel like it.

Now I seem to wait later for thick ice to drive out in the truck.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:01 PM »
When I fished out of my hub shanty a lot I made a rack for my Jet Sled out of 1/2" conduit. The shanty and auger would sit on top, and 5 gallon buckets could fit under them.
That and a Smitty Sled would make it pretty easy to pull.

Coming back to this.

Since I acquired the heavier shelter...Eskimo 919i it's heavier @ 44#.  I also got the heavier Eskimo quad chair @ 15#.  I also got spare batteries...more weight.  As always, the first time out on season and sled dragging.  It always feels heavier in snow.  On glare ice and hard crusty ice, it's so easy.

The drill and auger combo sure is light weight.  I sure don't miss my hand auger...

Most of all, it was, I couldn't figure out where to put all my stuff on the Jet Sled XL...The biggest culprit and space taker is the shelter.  It's longer than the sled, so it's wasting up space.

Gone are the days where a young buck could ruck sack 120# and road march just fine.  That 40# plus shelter is heavy to put this old buck winded after a few 100 yds.

This year there is snow on ground and I haven't even decided to make the hill march.  Don't feel like it.

Now I seem to wait later for thick ice to drive out in the truck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.