The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Your largest MA trout and salmon through the ice  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
Your largest MA trout and salmon through the ice
« on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:03 PM »
OK, getting ready for the ice but I haven't seen any trout or salmon pictures yet. I would like to see pictures of your best trout or salmon you have caught here in MA.

Through the ice, I haven't caught any brookies or tiger trout here in MA but have caught brown, rainbows and salmon. The brown trout were all just around 14 inches so I never bothered to take pictures of them but my best rainbow was a very fat 17 incher and the best salmon taped out at 24in. The most bows I have caught in one outing was 19.

Offline SpaceGhost

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your largest MA trout and salmon through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:55 AM »
Nice fish. Maybe once im done feeling like im on deaths doorstep, ill be able to go out.

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:33 AM »
Years ago when the state used to stock broodstock trout through the ice I caught a 4lb brookie 21 inches long  a 25 inch rainbow trout about 5.5 lbs and a 23 inch brown about 4 lbs  All were caught in Woburns Horn Pond   In the cove by the pump house jigging with  chartreuse crappie jigs tipped with mealworms and shiners on traps   I wish the state would stock through the ice liike they useed to every february IT WAS AWESOME
May your flags never have the bends

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Nice pics! The largest salmon for me came 2 yrs ago. He was just over 5lbs... I forget how long it was. My one and only trout through the ice was a rainbow and that was like 17 years ago... Never got a weight or length. Caught him at Dug Pond on marshmallow and meal worm on the bottom.

That's crazy you caught 19 trout in one outing, nevermind through the ice... Maybe you can show me how it's done. How much did the salmon weigh?

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Jason, trout can be easy if you hit them right my friend and I got 80 between the 2 of us this fall in one day
I like fishing. No point trying to argue.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Jason, trout can be easy if you hit them right my friend and I got 80 between the 2 of us this fall in one day

Hehe, pulling them thru the ice, and catching them open water at the hatchery are two different stories my friend.

I would call limiting out with 3 trout in one day a VERY good day of trout fishing thru the ice.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:00 AM »
Hehe, pulling them thru the ice, and catching them open water at the hatchery are two different stories my friend.

I would call limiting out with 3 trout in one day a VERY good day of trout fishing thru the ice.

Yeah I think it's a lot harder to catch them through the ice than open water...

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:26 AM »
True, and BB it was about as close to a hatchery as you can get physically close.
I like fishing. No point trying to argue.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Ive had some real nice hardwater trout/salmon fishing days. Never really pulled in any huge trout...biggest being 4+. One day I caught 3 salmon over 8#. Thay was a great day. Hope to see a few more of em coming soon! :tipup:

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Ive had some real nice hardwater trout/salmon fishing days. Never really pulled in any huge trout...biggest being 4+. One day I caught 3 salmon over 8#. Thay was a great day. Hope to see a few more of em coming soon! :tipup:

Wow 3 salmon over 8lbs in one day... incredible! :tipup:

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:20 PM »
2 salmon  caught a week apart  both 29"   9pounds.

Rainbow 6lbs 13oz. No photo but mounted on my wall.
MA

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Nice salmon Dick. That one is very clean too.  Jigging is the best way to catch rainbows in my opinion and when i caught the 19, they all were caught on the jig stick. That was the best part. Pete, I wish I could have fished when they stocked trout like that in MA. I would rather catch one or two larger trout than a 10 small ones. Jfeen I can show you some stuff, I am no expert but I can teach you some of the stuff I know. PM me

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Yeah I think it's a lot harder to catch them through the ice than open water...

catching them through the ice can be just as easy its all in the place and presentation i have a lake where i fish them through the ice and only get my limit on a bad day, a buddy of mine and i have had 20 plus trout days on this lake and have watched other people go home with zero, not that im claiming to be the trout master its just so simple once ya figure it out that its silly......

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:41 PM »
ive only had one salmon on a tip up and lost it at hole.......biggest trout through the ice was a 24" tiger trout at webster lake thing hit when i was checking tip ups i lifted it up and on the way back down i watched it slam my shiner pretty exciting to see thats for sure!

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:41 PM »
ive only had one salmon on a tip up and lost it at hole.......biggest trout through the ice was a 24" tiger trout at webster lake thing hit when i was checking tip ups i lifted it up and on the way back down i watched it slam my shiner pretty exciting to see thats for sure!

any pictures? that is the one trout I have never caught.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:01 PM »
My biggest trout through the ice was 2 years ago and it was a washed up tiger trout at 20". Some argued it was a bow, brookie, and brown.

Taken right after I caught it.

Dead on arrival.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.