Author Topic: Source for drop hook chains  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
Source for drop hook chains
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:58 PM »
 I am looking for a place where I can buy chain to make my own drop hooks to replace old or broken droppers. I know I can buy the chains w/hooks at a few suppliers, but $2.49 seems like a lot to pay for them.

Any ideas?

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Source for drop hook chains
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:42 PM »
The last chains I bought were through FIshusa which I believe are now a sponsor here.

I have also went to the local Walmart and bought several feet of light jewelery chain and made my own.  You will need to also buy the quickclips/fastsnaps etc for each end of the chain.  You also could probably use a small split ring for the connection to the lure.  I had a bundle of the snaps and just used them.  You need to pry open the eye and place it through a chain link then bend it back.  The jewelry chain does come in several strengths depending what your fishing for.

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:45 PM »
I am looking for a place where I can buy chain to make my own drop hooks to replace old or broken droppers. I know I can buy the chains w/hooks at a few suppliers, but $2.49 seems like a lot to pay for them.

Any ideas?

Is the 2.49 per 1 or 2? I'd say your pinching pennis if its for 2, Ive got a hybrid lure thats a small rattln' flyer and a hali chain and I slay panfish enough days with it I would pay that easy. Scheels and mom/pop tackle shop is the only places Ive found them.

Offline Iceroach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:33 AM »
I was looking for some myself and did a search.  These are ball chains, not sure if it's exactly what you want, but they're about a buck a piece.   They get really cheap if you order a large quantity.  Was surprised they list them as fishing swivels.

http://www.ballchain.com/fishing_swivels.html

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Shucks has 'em....$1.79/2
Has trebles too for $1.99/2
http://www.shuckslures.com/accessorytackle.html

FishUSA has 'em too.... hali name brand ones - glow bead hooks available as well.
http://www.fishusa.com/LuresJigsBait-Jigs-Hali_c.html
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline wickedwind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Your local craft store should have chain ,about 4$ .I bought some  a couple years ago and still have about a foot of chain left.Buy some no not fsst snaps,2$, and you can make different lenghts for conditions.2.49 for 2 or 6$ for a ten year supply?

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I picked up some chain at Hobby Lobby for a couple bucks for a few feet of chain.  Like Wickedwind, I used no knot clips and made my own. and my buddies, and ...

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:11 PM »
I bought 3 ft of doll house modeling chain from E Bay 3 yrs ago and it has worked perfectly with both small split rings and fasnaps.  It's very strong for it's size.  I also tipped them with ice flies and bead head nymph trout flies with good results.  I was tipped to the E Bay site by a Shanty Post.  Couldn't find it recently, but wonder if the hobby store chain is similar.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:47 PM »
 Just a suggestion on the hook end of the chain - I use the Eagle Claw open eye hooks - they  can be hard to find at times,and you usually have to special order them, but they work real good. I use them  to replace the trebles on all my panfish jigging spoons.
Warren

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:16 AM »
yourbobbersdown has soom nice ones. also fishusa

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2012, 10:06 PM »
I tie all of my Hali style droppers with 10lb PowerPro.  I usually put a Gamakatsu salmon egg hook on the business end and then tie it to a mustad fas-snap, or tie a loop in the end.  Difficult until you get the hang of it, but works pretty well. 
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2012, 04:52 PM »
This is the style of dropper I've been using

Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Neat clips, how do you like them?