Author Topic: decisions decisions  (Read 1110 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
decisions decisions
« on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Have a bunch of points saved up from Cabelas and kicking around the idea of getting a new Jiffy Pro4 auger. However I have an old model 30 that just keeps on kicking. Don't really know what else to use my points on. Don't need shack or flasher as have those already. What would you do? Buddy of mine has the 10in Pro4 and that thing will start 1st or 2nd pull even up in bitter cold northern SD. Help make this easier for me.....

Offline tkru

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: decisions decisions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Ill gladly take them if you dont know what to do with them ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:11 AM »
theres nothing wrong with owning 2  power augers.haha i was thinking about the pro4 lite and already have a jiffy 1 armed bandit and a jiffy sd60i.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Same here! I'll take some  ;D

Save them till something breaks or you find the new "must have". Doesn't sound like you need anything right now...

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:28 AM »
The Pro 4 is heavy, look at the Strikemaster with the Honda 4 stroke 23lbs with an 8" bit. 

Even the Pro 4 Lite is 28 lbs with an 8" blade, the regular Pro 4 is 34 - 36 lbs.

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:33 AM »
good problem to have. if your current jiffy works fine then keep it and save the points until you figure out what you really need.

And personal preference, I like the strikemaster 4 stroke more than the jiffy. Both nice machines but the SM is lighter.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:34 AM »
I am in the same situation,  been hoarding those points to use toward a Jiffy propane auger.   After some research and an e-mail to one of the Jiffy pros that had used the Pro 4 Lite auger last winter,  I am going to pull the trigger on the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite.   My old Strike Master Magnum keeps going.  But the thing is they never break down hanging in the shed.  So,  I am going to get it before first ice and start of the season with a new auger.

Let's us know how you like the new auger.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:58 AM »

if that old girls is still cutting , keep her ,and nobody has enough lures  ;)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Don't get me wrong I"m a huge fan of Honda but I just really like the idea of propane. I will only drill 200-400 holes a year so heck one or two bottles will last me the whole year. I'm sure the Honda will run forever as well but all these will for the most part if a guy takes care of them. The pro4 is just so quiet and cuts like crazy!!

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:23 AM »
I live in ND and let me tell you the JIffy Pro 4 is like a Smitty SLED! You won't be disappointed with the performance and the ease of use.  Not having gas to spill all over and the STX blades that make cutting holes a breeze no stinky exhaust easy starts truly is a marvel of mechanical enginering.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:35 AM »
do you have a float suit yet? they are kinda pricey too.

for those that are "collecting" gas augers, you should change the position of the rings a few times a year, as to where they sit in the cylinder wall. they will embed indentations to the wall given enough time.

i turn my snow plow riding mower at the out put shaft a few times a year to ensure it doesn't happen to it.
that reminds me, i have to pull the cord on two push mowers i quit using.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:35 AM »
I live in ND and let me tell you the JIffy Pro 4 is like a Smitty SLED! You won't be disappointed with the performance and the ease of use.  Not having gas to spill all over and the STX blades that make cutting holes a breeze no stinky exhaust easy starts truly is a marvel of mechanical enginering.

thanks skav. reviews like this are what makes me want to just go get one today! appreciate the review. just hope the longevity of these motors are as good as the tecumsah. probably wishful thinking as things just aren't made like they used to be.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:40 AM »
Have a bunch of points saved up from Cabelas and kicking around the idea of getting a new Jiffy Pro4 auger. However I have an old model 30 that just keeps on kicking. Don't really know what else to use my points on. Don't need shack or flasher as have those already. What would you do? Buddy of mine has the 10in Pro4 and that thing will start 1st or 2nd pull even up in bitter cold northern SD. Help make this easier for me.....

Not quite sure what your talking about, The sun always shines and the wind never blows up here in February.   ;)
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Not quite sure what your talking about, The sun always shines and the wind never blows up here in February.   ;)

haha. We head up your direction every year a couple of times and fish around Webster. Favorite trip of the year. God's country up there! Oh, and yes it gets colder than heck sometimes. wow. Last year wind chill was like 12 below one day and buddies pro4 auger fired right up......

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I'll take your old 30 off your hands and then you will feel better about buying the new Pro 4. Heck I wont even charge you for disposal.
<===Lefty===

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:05 PM »
I'll take your old 30 off your hands and then you will feel better about buying the new Pro 4. Heck I wont even charge you for disposal.
Haha. Part of me will just be able to get rid of that sound of the ol 30.....  Cuts ice like crazy with the fresh blade. Not sure why I think I need to get something new as it is a beast compared to the new plastic augers.

Offline dunnym1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I put my cabelas points to a new rifle or hand gun every 2 years. Easy way to explain to the wife why i came home with a new handgun...

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I put my cabelas points to a new rifle or hand gun every 2 years. Easy way to explain to the wife why i came home with a new handgun...
Very nice. Thing is I can get firearms 30 percent less of cabelas prices from local guy so that's why I have hard time spending my points on firearms.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Pro-4 lite!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:36 PM »
If it's not broken don't fix it  .... save em to ya need them points...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Haha. Part of me will just be able to get rid of that sound of the ol 30.....  Cuts ice like crazy with the fresh blade. Not sure why I think I need to get something new as it is a beast compared to the new plastic augers.
My friend has an old model 30 and yes it is a beast but I have never seen another auger cut as fast as that thing. I thought I was cutting fast with my Eskimo Shark Z51 which always out cuts everyone around me but his 30 would blow it away.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.