Author Topic: Anyone have a plow on the ATV?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone have a plow on the ATV?
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I have a plow on the ATV but have not used it on the ice.   Does any one have a plow on the ATV?
Do you take it on/off when you use the wheeler on ice OR do you use the plow to aid you in clearing snow to set up shack?  We are starting to get a lot of snow on the ice and just thinking if that was a wise move or not.   Many of the lakes here have restriction on ATV use but on the ones that do not I am thinking I might need it.

Offline matty23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • gone fishing...........
Re: Anyone have a plow on the ATV?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:50 PM »
i take it off but was thinking of using it to plow snow away from the hole....
matty23

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Be careful plowing on a lake, I know where I live if someone hits a snow pile that you caused by plowing and gets hurt and they can prove it was you, you can be held responsible. Some idiot on a snowmobile going way to fast could be a real problem for you. :tipup:
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline fishinfool73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:46 PM »
why are there restrictions on using atvs?
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:49 PM »
I have a Yamaha Grizzly 700 with a Warn plow setup. I plow around the bobhouses all the time. Matty23 has a good point. Tuck the piles out of the way. But it works well on the ice

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:57 PM »
why are there restrictions on using atvs?
Not in South Dakota where I do my Walleye fishing but I retired from the Military in Nebraska and I was reading the 2011 Fishing book that restricts ATV's use on iced lakes only in lakes listed in the handbook.  Most of the lakes I fish around here were not listed, thus I can not drive on them.  I noticed the lakes I can drive on were the larger bodies of ice.

Offline fishinfool73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:00 PM »
boy never heard of that one before. glad i dont live there.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:07 PM »
I have a plow, but have not taken it on the ice.  I don't use the atv much for ice fishing.  The main place I go doesn't allow any type of motorized vehicle on the lake.

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:35 PM »
I do have a county plow.... it rides pretty low and is WIDER than the 4-wheeler trailer so it doesn't get HAULED but I live close enough to my home lake to ride it down to the boat ramp.   You can plow the snow....problem here right now is that when you plow out an area....be prepared for a GUSHER when you start drilling holes....the snow is so heavy it is pushing the ice down and the water squirts right up thru the hole.....you can be fishing with inches of water and now slush on top of the ice.

Offline srock67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:34 PM »
I leave my plow on and have used it to plow a path out to the hot spots several times works great.
"Take a kid fishing.........then the wife can't get mad at you for being gone all day!"

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:19 AM »
I take my plow off. I have been icefishing for 6 years and never needed to use a plow to get to or from my icefishing spot.  Jerry

Offline carpenter75

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take your family, improve your lives.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Plows reduce your clearance greatly but with the right tires it works. We have 3 feet of snow on the ice here so mine would do me no good. If you are camping and have kids with you I would leave "SOME" snow to reduce slips on the slick ice but it will be easier for the little ones to get around.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I've had friends that offered to plow around my house so that it would increase sunlight penetration through the ice which would increase visibility on the underwater camera.

I tell them no thanks. Anytime I've seen a plowed area around someones shanty, it usually fills up with water and turns into a moat. I'd rather just let the snow suck up the water, deal with the slush and let it freeze up (better chance of freezing up). Keeping the house jacked up so it's out of the slush.

JIGGIN.

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:47 AM »
They don't plow heavy wet snow very well even with chains. Mine doesn't anyways. I never used mine on the ice to plow snow.

Offline carpenter75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:59 AM »
The responses here depend greatly on weather you have 4" of ice in your area or 4' and weather you have 2" of snow or 3'.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:07 PM »
only time I use it is when we are going to have a large group then I"ll plow the base camp area. Otherwise I bring a shovel to clear out the snow under my shack etc...

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:21 PM »
The only time I ever did was in the middle of a long period of overcast days. The bite was very slow in the shallows where we usually get all of the action so I wanted to try the dropoff nearby. I plowed about a 60' line along the dropoff and punched in a line of holes to drop the camera. When that extra light came through the panfish swarmed in and we slammed nice gills for about three hours. This was mid-February and we were having to get creative.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Plows reduce your clearance greatly but with the right tires it works. We have 3 feet of snow on the ice here so mine would do me no good. If you are camping and have kids with you I would leave "SOME" snow to reduce slips on the slick ice but it will be easier for the little ones to get around.

If I had to go through 3' of snow, I would invest in some snow shoes to pull my shappell and sleds out there or invest in a snowmobile.  And a good shovel for base camp

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:58 PM »
The only time I ever did was in the middle of a long period of overcast days. The bite was very slow in the shallows where we usually get all of the action so I wanted to try the dropoff nearby. I plowed about a 60' line along the dropoff and punched in a line of holes to drop the camera. When that extra light came through the panfish swarmed in and we slammed nice gills for about three hours. This was mid-February and we were having to get creative.

:tipup:
NBG
A couple of you mentioned the advantage of the extra light penetration and even though I realize the snow defused the light I did not realize that it would make that much difference but from what you say it makes a huge difference even by the results you got from it.   And of course to aid in my camera as well.
Most of the lakes I have fished recently have drifted snow and at most perhaps 12-14" of snow which my plow should be able to take care of, especially if I throw on the studded chains.

Offline Trapperdirk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I will live and die laying down hard ,cold steel .
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:59 AM »
I leave my plow on and often it is even a big help because if the snow is deep I angle the plow and it pushes the snow aside so I don't hang up on it . You have to have a plow though that is atleast the width of your tire track .
The bush is not just  a passion but in my soul.

TD

Offline carpenter75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:22 AM »
If I had to go through 3' of snow, I would invest in some snow shoes to pull my shappell and sleds out there or invest in a snowmobile.  And a good shovel for base camp

We drive on and shovel as well unless we have a large group with lots of little ones, then we try to get a little more creative so the small ones that have to short of legs to walk in the deep snow are not landlocked! They all need the opportunity to get to call "fish-on!" :laugh: :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.