The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62681 times)

Offline cweaver

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #120 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:13 PM »
I too appreciate your reports RedBeard.  Like said before, too early for me to get out yet.  I'll be glad to give reports back as soon as I get out and am sure the ice is safe enough for my butt to be out there.  You have done not much more than confirm that I don't have the stones to be out there "testing" the ice. lol

all that being said, I certainly get if you go silent until others are sharing, tight lines and dry feet brother!

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Like everyone, I certainly appreciate the reports. Been checking into this thread every day to see what other people are finding.

I had hoped to get some time on the ice next week, but the weather doesn't look too good for that. I have other things to occupy my time, so it's not the end of the world.

Being in Charlotte, I mostly fish lakes within a 1/2 hour of here, so Lansing is on my radar screen. The past few years, I've focused on Thornapple Lake near Hastings, Duck Lake and Narrow Lake near Springport, and Pine Lake near Olivet. Once we get over this warm weather, I will be happy to provide some reports on those lakes.

Also, I'm not sure how many of you know, but Eaton County recently purchased the old gravel pit on the north side of M-50 a couple miles east of Charlotte, between Charlotte and Eaton Rapids. My understanding is that it will be open for fishing some time this winter, and that it has fish. Once I know that it's open, I'll be sure to let folks here know.

Anyway, thanks to everyone posts reports and I will try to do my part this winter, as well.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Anybody want to hook up Friday and fish the Lansing area. Have mostly new equipment that hasn't seen ice yet. So I would like to stay close just incase. I just heard of another pond I might try. A guy said his kid got lots of big gills there last year me but I still haven't located it yet. PM if interested
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline Bigdrdoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Echoing what others have said, I appreciate the reports and knowledge shared in this thread.

I am new to this community and have recently moved to the Grand Ledge/Charlotte area. On a tip from a coworker, I went and checked out Saubee and Tamarock on Tuesday to see the location and whether people were fishing. When I arrived, there were 4 guys on Saubee and 1 on Tamarock. Didn't have my spud because I came straight from work, so I cannot personally state how thick the ice was. However, there has definitely been some traffic judging by the tracks.

I'll be heading there tomorrow with my spud and some gear in hopes to get a line in the water. Any tips or experience anyone has on those lakes in particular and others in the area is much appreciated. Not looking for secrets, just general info on the lakes and if there are some gills or crappie to catch.

Stay safe and fish on everyone!

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Dec 22, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Spudded my way out on local pits. 3 to 4 in. all punky. Talked to 2 guys on Lake Lansing 4 in where they were no bites. Cregro didn't try looked like open water in middle no signs anybody has tried. Hawk Island may have had somebody on ice by where car was parked but I didn't drive in. Checked out a pond where my eye doctor said his kids limit out on 8 to 10in. gills looked to me it maybe a trespass problem I'll pass couldn't afford fine or worst jail ;D Got my new Got my Milwaukee Fuel drill today so I can try my new K-Drill.

Offline Bigdrdoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Headed out this afternoon with my spud to Tamarock and Saubee. 6 fisherman and a DNR officer at Saubee but no one on Tamarock. Spudded my way out on Tamarock and found around 4 - 5 inches of ice. Appeared to be 2 inches of solid black ice, with a snow/ice mixture on top. Tracks and sled marks on edges but doesn't appear that anyone has ventured out to the middle. I chose not to also.

I didn't check the ice on Saubee because of the amount of people fishing. Headed back in the morning with some gear in hopes of finding some gills. I'll report back after the trip.

Offline Sustainable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:24 PM »
Like everyone, I certainly appreciate the reports. Been checking into this thread every day to see what other people are finding.

I had hoped to get some time on the ice next week, but the weather doesn't look too good for that. I have other things to occupy my time, so it's not the end of the world.

Being in Charlotte, I mostly fish lakes within a 1/2 hour of here, so Lansing is on my radar screen. The past few years, I've focused on Thornapple Lake near Hastings, Duck Lake and Narrow Lake near Springport, and Pine Lake near Olivet. Once we get over this warm weather, I will be happy to provide some reports on those lakes.

Also, I'm not sure how many of you know, but Eaton County recently purchased the old gravel pit on the north side of M-50 a couple miles east of Charlotte, between Charlotte and Eaton Rapids. My understanding is that it will be open for fishing some time this winter, and that it has fish. Once I know that it's open, I'll be sure to let folks here know.

Anyway, thanks to everyone posts reports and I will try to do my part this winter, as well.

Are you talking about that body of water with big power lines over head?

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Dec 23, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Yes, that's the one.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Dec 23, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Finally got out on the ice was from 3 to 7 inch. Caught 3 dinks. One Bass one perch and one gill 6 inch. was the biggest. Still trying to figure out my graph. Set up in 12 ft. of water dropped a new gold tungsten jig keep feeding and feeding line then realized a little bass hit it on the way down. He sure though he was bigger than he was.   

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 23, 2016, 05:30 PM »
First ice fishing trip of the season for me. Didn't kill them but got enough for a meal.

Silvers Lake near Springport
 5-6 foot of water
 5.5 inches of ice
We caught 16 bluegills on small yellow jig and wax worms.

I bought a new Marcum Lx-7 last year and never got to use it, so this was a learning curve trip for me. Absolutely love the new electronics!

Also.......Merry Christmas to everyone!

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 23, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Are you talking about that body of water with big power lines over head?

Also known as Crandells gravel pit

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Dec 23, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Wow guys! Now this is what i call a thread! Thanks for all the pm's and particpation fellas. Wormdunker, what pond or lake did you stand on?
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline skadaloz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:19 PM »
hey everybody....I'm new to Lansing, MI....currently living in Dimondale, MI.  I did plenty of ice fishing when i lived in PA but since I'm new to the area I have no clue where to go for crappies, yellow perch.  I would love to get out if anyone is willing to let me tag along.  On Sunday i checked the ice on Grand River in Dimondale and it was 4inch all across but then again the area i check was pretty shallow 3-5ft deep.

Offline Bigdrdoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Dec 24, 2016, 08:57 AM »
Got out on Saubee yesterday for my first trip of the season. 4 inches by the entrance but sketchy towrads the middle. Gills were there but very picky. Saw a couple guys catch their limit.

Tamarack has some ice but it was pretty sketchy. A few guys were on it. After our warm-up, both lakes may be sketchy until another cold spell. Should help to get us some better ice conditions in the long run though.

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:13 AM »
I get on Saubee during the soft water season a couple times a year. I know the lady who owned the "campground" area and I would put my boat in there. I understand she has sold that property.

I've never fished Tamarack, duck hunted there and wished I'd have brought my fishing pole along too.

Be safe everyone, this warm up is indeed going to soften up the ice.....

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:16 AM »
I am heading out to lk chemung in an hour or so. I will report when i get out.

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Dec 24, 2016, 04:56 PM »
As promised, i am reporting. Good solid 3 to 5 in of ice. I don't have electronics but guessing about 20 Fowler. Crappie are on point. Definitely not sorry i came out. Minnows and spoons were the ticket. Orange was the color of the day although as it gets darker, glow green is catching up.  Tight lines all. I will report again for home.

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat, sleep, college, fish. It's what I do!
« Reply #137 on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Thanks for all of the reports guys! I appreciate it. If anyone is looking for another person to head out with and fish the lansing/Jackson/Pinckney area pm me. My friends and I's schedules have not been matching up this year so far.. hopefully the cooler temps after yesterday will refreeze those lakes soon

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Dec 28, 2016, 07:45 AM »
Baker1 hit me up, i don't live far from mason at all

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:21 PM »
Any good ice?

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:26 PM »
Saw guys on Kent, Woodland, Chemung, and Benhur. Should be ok, use a spud and common sense.

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Cool thnx. I live in Owosso with no real water. Closest is round lake in laingsburg, or lake Ovid, but I have no idea about their ice.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:54 PM »
For sure spud your way out on any lake right now.  I was on a small lake today, 4 inches on one spot and 2 inches ten feet away (and that was a parallel move, not moving out to deeper whater)......be careful.

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Ty

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Anybody checked Lansing lately? Was going out today but caught a bug could hardly get out of bed. I am going out and try tomorrow.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:22 PM »
 Tomorrow I might go out to try Crego Park, or maybe go fish Hawk Island a bit while my kids are at the sledding hill there.  I have my hopes up for next weekend.  It's supposed to be very cold from next Wednesday on through the weekend.

- Joe

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:10 PM »
How is the fishing at hawk island? I have heard about it but never been there. I am fairly new to the Lansing area so i have mostly fished Livingston county area.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Dec 31, 2016, 12:21 PM »
Hawk Island. Guys on the ice there say 4" today.

- Joe

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Dec 31, 2016, 02:32 PM »
I went to a pit real close to Hawk Island and somebody went through the ice today. And the south end was all open water. I live right by Hawk Island but haven't fished it much did have a big cat on last summer and lost it trying to pull it up on walk by boat launch. My son and I use to fish the pond inside the dog park but they don't allow it now. We took some really nice gills and sun fish to plant in my swamp. It dried up 2 years later. When we get good ice PM me I only live 5 minutes from Hawk or Crego. I'll join you more people can find fish quicker. Everybody have a good New Year.

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Dec 31, 2016, 06:51 PM »
 I'm getting anxious, I haven't been out at all yet this year LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.