Author Topic: what should I use?  (Read 3740 times)

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
what should I use?
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:07 PM »
for bait?

I am going to the pikefest at sabbatus this weekend, and dont know what to use for bait.

will they take dead yellow pearch or golden shiners dead?

will medium/large shiners work well?

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: what should I use?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Pike love dead baits. At times they prefer it. But be prepared to offer them something lively also (if it is allowed!).
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:39 PM »
I like dead anchovies, smelt, or suckers. Dead or stunned perch are lethal if lots of perch live in the lake your pike fishing. Live baitfish is great if it's legal, but sometimes deadbait works better. I use baits in the 4 - 8" range.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:56 PM »
sorry to steal the post, butHow far off of the bottom do you put your deadbait presentation? Would large shiners work  if i hooked them just in front of the dorsal fin?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:12 PM »
sorry to steal the post, butHow far off of the bottom do you put your deadbait presentation? Would large shiners work  if i hooked them just in front of the dorsal fin?

I keep my baits within 1 - 2 feet of the bottom most of the time.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:54 AM »
OK guys...here's a serious question.  I've been fishing pike for almost 40 years now and have never used a dead bait presentation.  Always used shiners, even the beat up ones that are still kicking some after getting nailed by a pike.  My question is this:  If you are making a dead bait presentation, would you lay it on the bottom or as some here have said, about 2 foot off bottom?  Reason I ask is this, if I'm in a weedy area and the weeds are 3-4 foot up, would I still lay it on bottom, have it a couple feet off bottom or would I present it above the weeds?  I'm thinking of using smelt as my dead bait of choice, Chaumont Bay used to be full of them so I'm going to try them.

My live bait presentation has almost always been 4 foot off bottom as pike feed up, although on one lake I fished with almost no weed I did take a large almost dead sucker and set him just above bottom....help me out here if you would, thanks and tight lines...Esox....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:01 PM »
I would use any bait that has a really oily scent to it, like smelt, saltwater herring, anchovies or ciscos/tullibee in 4-6 inch range if you know that lake has mega pike try them in 10-12 inch range.
Here in Sask. so if a person was to fish in the weeds I experiment. I would place some above the weeds say maybe a foot to half a foot, and a few a foot off the bottom right in them. Then move your baits to whatever presentation gets the most hits.
Don't forget to try a foot under the ice to. ;)

WW

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:16 PM »
I would use any bait that has a really oily scent to it, like smelt, saltwater herring, anchovies or ciscos/tullibee in 4-6 inch range if you know that lake has mega pike try them in 10-12 inch range.
Here in Sask. so if a person was to fish in the weeds I experiment. I would place some above the weeds say maybe a foot to half a foot, and a few a foot off the bottom right in them. Then move your baits to whatever presentation gets the most hits.
Don't forget to try a foot under the ice to. ;)

WW
waterwolf, im just finishing up my quick strike rigs and plan on dead baiting this friday for first time. how do you hook the deasdbait with a quick strike? ive read some people straighten one of the trebles (dont get why), others through the skin . input appreciated. Just curious...for you folks in saskachewan, what are your basic ice fishing rules. ie. # tip ups, live bait vs.dead...

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:56 PM »
I have been fishing Pike for several years on the Great Sacandaga Lake And we catch 20-25 pounders on anything from Icicles, Shiners, Suckers, Chubs, or Smelt, big bait or small.  I have come to realize that if a Pike sees a bait its gonna eat it.  I used to believe that the size of the bait mattered, but now im convinced that it just depends on the fish.  If you were to go to a lake to fish for pike I would reccommend using  tip-ups set up for walleye or trout that way your bettering your chances of getting flags, and your still set up for pike. 

Offline fishinmastah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:12 PM »
i just went up to sabatus and dead bait worked the best...smelts and shinners....and far as i know perch r illegal tofish with in maine i believe the law book says any spiny fish r illegal to use as bait
Team Maine!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:37 PM »
OK guys...here's a serious question.  I've been fishing pike for almost 40 years now and have never used a dead bait presentation.  Always used shiners, even the beat up ones that are still kicking some after getting nailed by a pike.  My question is this:  If you are making a dead bait presentation, would you lay it on the bottom or as some here have said, about 2 foot off bottom?  Reason I ask is this, if I'm in a weedy area and the weeds are 3-4 foot up, would I still lay it on bottom, have it a couple feet off bottom or would I present it above the weeds?  I'm thinking of using smelt as my dead bait of choice, Chaumont Bay used to be full of them so I'm going to try them.

My live bait presentation has almost always been 4 foot off bottom as pike feed up, although on one lake I fished with almost no weed I did take a large almost dead sucker and set him just above bottom....help me out here if you would, thanks and tight lines...Esox....

If you have weeds reaching a couple feet off the bottom I would definately set the bait up above the weeds.

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:28 AM »
We here in Sask can not use live baitfish.Deadbaits are our only option. Smelt and herring(6-8 inch) are my choices on tip ups.I agree with the other post in terms of depth as some days are awesome a foot up and some days laying it on the bottom.Just play around and let the fish tell you what they want.

As for the quick strike methods...its all personal pref as some guys believe the hook sets are better with all barbs axposed and others like to straighten one hook down. Your choice.  I dont use quick rigs as I have been very successful using a 3/0 treble. I bait up by placing the shank of the treble through the baits belly and out the back.Then clip to a leader.This ensures the bait is in a natural horizontal postion and all hooks are exposed for a good set....Just my way of doing things.

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:42 PM »
JHM: Icicles are similar to a smelt only they are more shiny.  Im currently living in western NY and have yet to find them.  Bait Shops around Sacandaga Lake sell them.  Though they are similar to a smelt they dont work as good for lake trout like the smelt do, But if your planning on taking a trip for some walleyes or pike icicles are an ideal bait of choice. 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:51 AM »
waterwolf, I am just finishing up my quick strike rigs and plan on dead baiting this Friday for first time. how do you hook the deadbait with a quick strike? Ive read some people straighten one of the trebles (don't get why), others through the skin . input appreciated. Just curious...for you folks in Saskatchewan, what are your basic ice fishing rules. IE. # tip ups, live bait vs.dead...

Snot Rocket

Like rumblefish said it's illegal to use live baitfish in Sask. Frogs and salamander are now protected so off limits as bait. Worms, leeches, grubs and crayfish can be used as bait as-long as they originate in Sask. I use both the quick-strike rigs and center punch method for frozen fish. My quick-strike rig usually consists of 2 #6 treble hooks tied together by a fluorocarbon or fireline. I add colored beads and weighs to the line above the bait. I then hook on of the trebles  between the head and dorsal fish and the other between the dorsal fin and the tail.
Here is a photo of my homemade quick-strike rig.

I hope this helps you. :)

WW

bigdave1018

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:47 PM »
icicles might be the same as buckeyes?

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2006, 02:36 PM »
I believe they are the same as buckeyes, they are also reffered to as emerald shiners

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.