Author Topic: Which hook to use. Yes, another one of these boards.  (Read 2226 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which hook to use. Yes, another one of these boards.
« on: Jan 30, 2006, 11:34 AM »
I know that there are a million boards on here that explain different hooks and different ways to use them. I just want to know how many people just use a single snelled hook for pike fishing. Out this weekend, I was fishing with a guy who only used single hooks for pike. I, myself, use trebles. This is what I have always done. I did notice that this weekend he nearly quadrupled the number of flags I had, and we were in the same area, not even 50' away from each others tipups. He did have 2-3 blue beads on each of his. I noticed he lost a lot of bait too.

Just wondered what kind of hook I should use. He says that late in the season, pike will have tender mouths and as soon as they feel the treble they will spit it. Should I try bait hooks? Some of these look interesting?http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/worm.htm]]http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/worm.htm

Also what size should I buy for 20-30" pike?

Does the red really entice more bites?

Thanks guys :tipup:

billybono

Re: Which hook to use. Yes, another one of these boards.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:20 PM »
here is a quote from another site

The red color started out about 12 years ago, with many different companies doing red just as a new color at that time," he said. "Then they started doing studies where red is the first color of the light spectrum that disappears at a certain level in the water. Below about 10 feet or so in the water, red will actually disappear, so it looks like you have free-floating bait going through the water."

Schreck said some companies also offer red leaders for the same reason. In shallow water, the red color actually acts as an attractant, or like a gill flash or an injured baitfish with the blood coming out, he explained. The colored hook helps with the overall appearance of the bait.

billybono

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:31 PM »
wow. Convincing enough id say

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2006, 06:25 PM »
I use #8 gamakatsu trebles, preferrably red if I can find them. Since I'm using deadbaits in the 4 - 8" range, the #8's are perfect rigged quick strike style. In fact, I have never missed a pike that had the bait and was taking line off the spool when I set the hook.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Wow, sounds good! Ill have to pick some up next time I stop at the baitstore if he has any(doubt it) or walmart. Thanks Guys

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Busler...I use either a 2/0 or a 2 hook treble, this year have been trying the red ones as well.  Later in the season (now) the pike are teething, in this area at least adn I generally go to a #4 or #6 hook and decrease my bait size a tad as well.  Normally I go with the largest bait I can get my hands on, what "they" call large bait up this way is in the 4-6 inch class.

Have had quite a few perch flags this year hitting the bait that was in the 5" range, and brought some of them to the hole as they couldn't spit out the large shiner before I pulled them through the hole.  Sorry to get off topic on the hook issue...Esox....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline fishinmastah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:14 PM »
treble hooks all the way
Team Maine!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.