Author Topic: DIY Rod Tube with reel securing strap???  (Read 2324 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
DIY Rod Tube with reel securing strap???
« on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Over the years I remember seeing on here examples of DIY rod tubes people created to help with protecting rods.  Some were made form golf club bag tubes, others from PVC, or similar materials.  I remember a few that had notches cut into them that allowed the reel stem to go into the tube, and then either a bungee cord or velcro on the end to secure the rod/reel in the tube. 

I attempted a search but didn't find what I was looking for...

Does anyone have examples they would share?  Better yet, examples and instructions for making them would be greatly appreciated.  PM me if you'd like.

Thank you, in advance! 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: DIY Rod Tube with reel securing strap???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Just get some tubes and cut them to fit??? ???
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:34 AM »
When I was moving...I got these pipe insulation foam, stuck the rods into them...velcro sticky the open ends.  Well I did electrical tape too.

I used it for ice fishing transport a few times, then decided that the extra equipment being tossed around and stuff and time wasn't worth it.  Just another option.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Second search... may be just a simple as using rubber bands.    ;)     Velcro would work also
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325873.0

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Rubber bands go bad fast and velcro can freeze with water/snow/slush or pick up whatever sticks to it, especially the hook side.I like bungee for all kinds of things. Always got a hank of 1/8" and 3/8" on hand. Lasts for years. Repaired a pair of cheapie cleats some a dozen and a half years or so ago. Still as stretchy and tight as the day I fixed 'em.

I've made neat slots in PVC by drilling an appropriate diameter hole where I want the slot to end. Careful use of a table saw cuts a neat line from the end to the hole. A little sanding clean up on the sharp edges and you're done.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Golf bag tubes.cut reel slits in them and small bungees.old golf bags all over for free around here in spring and summer.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:31 PM »
I made some on the back of my snowmachine box out of PVC pipe. I drilled big holes so my rivet gun could fit and then used my miter saw to make the cuts. I did not take my time, so they look slightly sloppy but they work. I use the small bungee cord there to hold the rods down. Very secure setup, some of my portages with my gear on the sled are many miles.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I use bicycle inner tubes for rubber bands.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:42 PM »
I use fluorescent tube guards.  They're long clear plastic tubing for the fluorescent lights.  Much lighter and cheaper than pvc and still does the job.   You can get them from Home Depot or Lowes.  Depending on the length of the tube you buy, you can cut them to size and make rod tubes for 3 to 4 ice rods.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:52 PM »
We need more doctors on this site. Doctor Speckler, Doctor Gee, Mr. Esox... From the State Mental Institution.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Esox.... LOL... Awesome movie....  But you didn't mention Nurse Ratched.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Steal some hair ties from your wife, they'd work perfectly to hold the rods in the tubes

Catchin' Fish

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:49 PM »
We need more doctors on this site. Doctor Speckler, Doctor Gee, Mr. Esox... From the State Mental Institution.

Yeah, I could fit right in there!

I'm supposed to be Jethro! I am on every other site but someone already had that handle even though they haven't posted in 9 years >:(
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Esox.... LOL... Awesome movie....  But you didn't mention Nurse Ratched.

Wicked, wicked woman... Louise Fletcher perfectly cast too.

"Nurse Ratched! I want my cigarettes!"

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:56 PM »
I made this one from golf club tubes to fit in a bucket. Just cut them to size with tinsnips and a notch for the reel. I put duct tape in the notches to protect the line a bit. Secured to the bucket with a couple of zip ties. The set up has worked well for me. Bucket holds a dozen rods plus jig boxes in the middle.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2019, 04:28 PM »
I like to glue caps from cream containers into the ends of golf tubes.  The caps allow lures to be dropped to the bottom before the rod goes in.  Helps keep line tension off UL rods without messing with the drag.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:06 PM »

Great movie!

The Director of Nursing (DON) at the nursing home that my Mom was in had announced that she was leaving to be DON at the area mental hospital.  I said to her "I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving, but I can see how the Nurse Rached position would be too perfect a fit for you to pass that up."

She has a lively sense of humor and thought that was pretty funny. I emailed her later to thank her for all she had done for my Mom and she replied thanking me for my kind words and said "I'm sure our paths will cross again."  When I read that I thought "Hey, wait a minute - she's leaving to work at a mental hospital. I'm not sure how to take that!"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2019, 07:48 AM »
For the rod holders I used those 12" lengths of sink drain pipe. Cut them in half and notch for reel neck with utility knife. About $4 at HD. For the tip ups I had to go with 2" PVC.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I bought some med duty elastic from a fabric store and used it to keep the reels pushed up into the tubes.  I just drilled holes about 180 deg apart,inserted elastic and tied a knot on each end. I found some lightwt plastic tubes as scrap where I worked.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Like others have said - PVC (or gray conduit which is lighter) with a reel stem slit and end caps on the tube. I use these for the long rods that don't fit in my Otter case.  I also use a reel case similar to this one just because I had one that came with an open water reel (it serves a double purpose of protecting the reel and keeping the rod secured in place.)

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/offshore-angler-ocean-master-spinning-reel-cover

Be CAREFUL when putting your rod in this type tube - the slot will pull the line tight and bend (maybe break) your rod tip. I always take the jig off or at least leave a foot or so of slack and let the jig dangle in the tube. If the line is left tight on the rod, the reel WILL crank down tight on the tip when the handle is touched, the tube moved, etc.

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I am using PVC pipe with the Nite Ize gear ties. The rubber coated wire, holds tight and stays put and the different colors help differentiate the different rods. 

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:55 PM »
1 inch or 1.5 inch pcv?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.