Author Topic: Hand auger not cutting  (Read 10641 times)

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hand auger not cutting
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:09 PM »
I have a Strikemaster Mora 6-inch hand auger and for some reason it just won't cut.  It slides around on the ice rather than digging in. I got it to cut a few holes, but it took me five minutes of rocking it back and forth while turning it to get through the 3 inches of ice we had. Then, I put brand new blades on it today (the good ones, not made in China -- and they're razor sharp) but it's still not working. It doesn't seem to bite into the ice. And yes, I double checked to make sure I didn't put the blades on wrong.

Anyone ever see this problem or have ideas?

Offline rpeterson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hand auger not cutting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Needs new blades. Make sure you buy the blades made in Sweden Chinese ones are junk

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Did it have shims ? very little thin metal strips similar to a beer can trimmed to a thin slice.  If not might have to make some and try them to change angle and make it cut!  They can be made out of a beer can.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:39 PM »
If you lean on the auger really hard it can change the angle and dull the blades to where it won't dig.
Also cutting into sandy ice will dull the blades quicker.
Shims will help the needed angle. if you know someone that has an auger you can compare,it might show if and where its bent.
When you do get it right,it should cut easy and keep the blades sharp.
I use a magic marker on the edge and lightly sharpen it back to the factory edge/angle.
Tight lines
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2016, 11:36 PM »
did you install the new blades the right way? the flat side should be the part resting on the ice, and the angled side should be towards the rest of the auger.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:19 AM »
I agree with Panfishman13 ,own a Strike Master Mora (8 inch) and have experienced the problem you are having after removing the blades and installing them as described by Panfishman13 problem was solved and auger cut ice . Sorry I do not have any pictures as they would make it easier for you to see proper blade installation.
Steve

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:58 AM »
I will not mention blades on wrong because I read your post.did it ever cut right?if not than as gills said you we probably need to shim blades,it only takes a small amount to make a big differance

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I will not mention blades on wrong because I read your post.did it ever cut right?if not than as gills said you we probably need to shim blades,it only takes a small amount to make a big differance

Thanks for reading  ;)  I'm also glad you didn't mention new blades, haha. Shims might be in order, and I'll double, double check the blade installation just to be tripley sure.
Also, yes, it cut great last year. I took blades off and sharpened them over summer. I assumed I did a bad sharpening job, but the new ones won't cut either. Maybe I lost shims without noticing.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:01 PM »

Thanks for reading  ;)  I'm also glad you didn't mention new blades, haha. Shims might be in order, and I'll double, double check the blade installation just to be tripley sure.
Also, yes, it cut great last year. I took blades off and sharpened them over summer. I assumed I did a bad sharpening job, but the new ones won't cut either. Maybe I lost shims without noticing.
                       When I changed my blades , quite a few years ago, I "found" the shims in the barn, on the floor,  where I changed them, after I found out it would not cut right!   They are not very big!

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:07 PM »
                       When I changed my blades , quite a few years ago, I "found" the shims in the barn, on the floor,  where I changed them, after I found out it would not cut right!   They are not very big!

I'm thinking shims may be the key. There aren't any on there now. And while I don't remember seeing any last summer, maybe I lost them without noticing. Here are a couple images of the blade install for the doubters.  :P  If anyone sees anything wrong, I'll gladly accept my idiot award if it means a working auger.

Also if shims are the problem, does anyone have a picture of what they look like (so I can make something) or a place to get replacements?

Flat side on ice.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:13 PM »
They are on right

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:48 AM »
Nixstyx my apologies for misreading your original post. Guess that is what happens sometimes when I'm visiting Ice Shanty during the early morning hours after getting home from work. Have you tried the search feature to look for any posts/threads on auger blade shims.
Steve

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:27 AM »
Take a pop can,  cut a 1/4 inch by 2 inch piece for each blade.  Install on the rear portion of the blade

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:35 AM »
I had the same issue yesterday ended up spudding all my holes. will also try making some shims

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Take a pop can,  cut a 1/4 inch by 2 inch piece for each blade.  Install on the rear portion of the blade

Thanks. Will try and report back later this week.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:08 AM »
You shouldnt have to remanufacture something they couldnt get right. Take it back and get a Lazer. Buying a cheaper mora first is always costing you mora in the long run.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:48 PM »
You shouldnt have to remanufacture something they couldnt get right. Take it back and get a Lazer. Buying a cheaper mora first is always costing you mora in the long run.

Kudos for the pun, but a return isn't really an option. Bought this thing 4 years ago. I suppose I could try sending it to Strikemaster with an angry letter, but that wouldn't help me get on the ice this weekend... unless I bought a second auger.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2016, 02:07 PM »
That doesn't matter my new lazer would not cut worth a crap.mora outperforms it hands down.just depends if you get a good one.guess we're they are both made?

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:00 PM »
Shims---use a straw. Cut a small piece of straw and place between the screws and the base. If it is to agressive take the straw and slice in half. Now you have 1/2 the thickness you started with. I like Micky D's straws because they are a little thicker.

If this works for you put an extra straw in your bucket, you can play around with getting the perfect shim.

Fran
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:10 PM »
By reading the number of posts advocating shims, maybe the problem is by leaning too hard on it while cutting.
Maybe the issue is the base being bent out of "true" jut enough that the blade doesn't bite.

I think we all have, at least one time or another, applied pressure to get our augers to cut.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.