Author Topic: PVC Ice Rod Protector Instead of Case  (Read 5385 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
PVC Ice Rod Protector Instead of Case
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 05:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this made on a forum (probably this one), but figured I'd share mine.  I got a couple new custom ice rods and wanted to make sure they didn't get crushed/broken when transporting in the sled.  I got some 1 1/4" SDR 26 PVC (thin walled stuff) and cut a slit for the reel handle to slide into.  I used my Dremel Multi-tool to cut the slit and it worked perfectly.  With the thin PVC, I was able to just curve the top up to keep a smooth surface on the reel handle.  I also sanded down the cuts so they don't scratch the reel handles.  To keep the rods in there, I'm just using a rubber band around the PVC so they can't slide back out.  We'll see how it works in real use.  I figure this will be more compact than a full fledged rod case in my sled.

Offline icefishnrancher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch, the only white meat!
Re: PVC Ice Rod Protector Instead of Case
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:07 PM »
pretty slick!!!  do you slak the line or de-jig every time you stik the rod in?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:24 PM »
I'll probably take the jig off, but we really don't move around that much once we setup.  I imagine slacking the line would work just as well though.  We'll see how convenient they are in real world use hopefully.  I fish Lake Erie, but she hasn't been making much ice this year yet

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Did something similar but yours looks easier. Mine had to allow for removal from the top of a box.
James

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:30 PM »
RStock521, fabricate the same rod tubes using 1" thin wall pvc for my cheap HT ice blues, cut bicycle inner tube for 1" wide rubber bands. I've use this system for storing my ice rods for about 10 years with good success, tubes used in golf bags also work. My ice rod bag is a youth baseball bat bag.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:02 PM »
RStock521, fabricate the same rod tubes using 1" thin wall pvc for my cheap HT ice blues, cut bicycle inner tube for 1" wide rubber bands. I've use this system for storing my ice rods for about 10 years with good success, tubes used in golf bags also work. My ice rod bag is a youth baseball bat bag.

I'll have to try the bike inner tube idea. Thank you!  I tried the golf tube idea, but the ones I ordered from Sports Authority were too thin.  This PVC is much sturdier

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:06 PM »

Did something similar but yours looks easier. Mine had to allow for removal from the top of a box.

Your clear tubes are prettier haha I like the way those look. What did you use for those?

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:41 PM »

Your clear tubes are prettier haha I like the way those look. What did you use for those?

I used those clear tubes you can put over fluorescent bulbs. The smaller version will slide inside the pvc and the larger will slide outside the pvc with a slit cut into it.
James

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:44 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Love those reels!!!

Catchin' Fish

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Love those reels!!!

Bought them on clearance. Use them on most of my general rods.
James

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Looks good .I did something similar and used an Ak gun case;

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:06 AM »
Looks good .I did something similar and used an Ak gun case;

I actually say your post on another thread with this, and tried the golf club tubes. They were a little thinner than I liked, but thank you for the idea!

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I used the clear protrective slip covers for florescent 48" light bulb tubes.  each cover comes with 2 end caps

cut them in half to 24"

ACE hardware

Cheap

cut slots like the folks above for the reel s

used stick on velcro straps wrap around at the rear to hold the reels inside

cut each tube  to match a specific rod length

then labeled the rods and the matching tubes 1,2,3,4,5 etc with permanent marker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.