Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Within an hr of Des Moines  (Read 4097 times)

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lewis Rothman - Facebook
Within an hr of Des Moines
« on: Dec 11, 2016, 01:09 AM »
We want to be safe, I am wanting to take my 10 year old out on Sunday 11, 2016. Any suggestions? Message me on FB if your willing to share a safe and prosperous fishing spot. Thanks and Blessings, Lewis Rothman

Offline thordoggydog

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Within an hr of Des Moines
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Give it a few more days. I was out yesterday within an hour of dsm and no way in heck i would have my 7 and 9 yr old with me especially if you have never been on the particular body of water before. I checked 5 places and only ventured out on 2 because i knew they were shallow and i had a lifejacket on the whole time and was mentally ready to take a swim, the best ice i found was only 2.5 inches.

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:50 AM »
Any suggestions or sights to use on telling ice conditions? Not looking to take chances, would venture out tied to the shore by a rope, wouldn't take the shack (2 man with sled attached), check every 15' and keep about 10 feet between holes and each other. Would you use hwy 30 as a general distance/ boarder to start at? That has been the suggestion I had heard a lot last year. We are looking at small body's of water, say less that 20 acre sites. North up I-35 about an hour or more, but not wanting to go the Clear lake area. Any thoughts - anyone. We restrung, assembled the drill plate and now just need a dirrection. Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Give it a few more days. I was out yesterday within an hour of dsm and no way in heck i would have my 7 and 9 yr old with me especially if you have never been on the particular body of water before. I checked 5 places and only ventured out on 2 because i knew they were shallow and i had a lifejacket on the whole time and was mentally ready to take a swim, the best ice i found was only 2.5 inches.
x2!! x3!!! x4!!!! x5!!!!! I would call tied to the shore by a rope, "A CHANCE".

Offline sparkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:58 AM »
I get a little ahead of myself most years, but as I get older that swim seems less exciting. I went out late yesterday using Highway 141 & 44 as borders. 2" was the best I found, there was also 1"ice on the same body of water. Couple bodies of water are still open. Be next weekend for me unless I set on a boat dock & drill over the edge.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Don't get in a big hurry especially with a kid.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Lewis, I will be happy to read any post from you rather then read a coroners post about you. Truly serious about this post!

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for all the thoughts and measurements of the ice. I went back to bed after my last post, we'll give it a shot next weekend in the Arctic cold. May even try a little farm pond on Wed., but will check before hand.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:51 AM »
1.5 inches of ice near Des Moines yesterday.  I usually am the first one out but there still isn't enough ice for me.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2016, 01:34 PM »
If you don't get the weekly fishing report from the DNR, go to their website and sign up. It comes out every Thursday and the will give the ice thickness of local lakes. Me personally, I won't go out unless there is at least 4" of ice.

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Good luck finding safe ice now. wait till the ice gets thicker and starts to crack. if the ice isn't clear and you can' t see cracks. Don't take your kid.
Wait till you have other people on the ice.

Offline southfork

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I was about an hour north of Des Moines on a small pit this afternoon.  Had mostly 4" of ice.  Caught a bunch of bluegills and some small bass.  Felt good to watch the vex light up and set the hook again!  Maybe next weekend closer to the metro.

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:42 PM »
Anyone try Ada Hayden in Ames yet? Want to take my son out on Wed. Is everyone still thinking we need to wait until this weekend?

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Went to Ankeny yesterday, found 6" of ice, but no fish. Looked at another pond below Saylorville, there was an opening at the dirt ramp due to there being a spring right there. There were folks out on the west part of ponds (goof's taking pictures). I warned them of the dangers, but they said they talked to someone that had fished that area the night before. Offered to check the area, but they said they were not worried. Some people.

Offline JacobHokanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Anyone try Ada Hayden in Ames yet? Want to take my son out on Wed. Is everyone still thinking we need to wait until this weekend?

as a student from ISU i can say that Ada Hayden is still open. believe me i know, i couldn't believe that is was still open, i think with all this wind it just destroys the ice, no shelter from anywhere, if we can get some cold days with no wind, should lock up.............i hope.........

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Went out to another Urban pond in greater DsM yesterday, 6" plus of ice on the whole thing. We caught quite a few, kept 6 nice crappie's and had fun catching a few descent bass. My son had a blast and I felt very safe taking him. Oh, Does anyone know how to post pictures, I have a nice one of what we caught yesterday.

Offline Corkycal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:57 PM »
I live near Ada Hayden. The wind has kept it open. It's also a deep quarry lake and has a lot of geese slowing things down. Usually the north lake is ready before the south. McFarland pond had about 5 inches today. Does anyone have an ice depth report on Hickory Grove?

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Well, we are going to brave the cold and head up north a bit, not all the way to Clear Lake, but about a half an hour south of there. Anyone going that way or up there? Give me a call if we need to cut our drive short :-) Realty want to try Elm Lake or the surrounding area. PM for phone #.

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:49 PM »
On one an urban pond - alone. 10 easy inches of ice; lots of popping and cracking. Sure I was fine, but no bite and my nerves aren't what they use to be.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:57 PM »
On one an urban pond - alone. 10 easy inches of ice; lots of popping and cracking. Sure I was fine, but no bite and my nerves aren't what they use to be.

The popping and cracking, is from ice forming, and not melting. I use to fish a lot at night and would hear it constantly. And yes, it does rattle the nerves.

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:30 PM »
It was 38 degrees out, sun, water running through the drainage, you sure those are conditions to form ice? I don't know, does not seem possible to form ice in those conditions........

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2016, 08:05 AM »
I was on the ice Monday and yesterday on the same lake in the exact same spot on Monday I had 8 inches of ice, and yesterday there was 10 (I was shocked) Even with a few warmer days the lake somehow managed to gain 2 inches...not saying that's the case on all lakes, but was the case on at least one.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Plenty of ice, rain will smooth things out and refreeze. Some of you might want to take up another hobby. :)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2016, 02:06 PM »
It was 38 degrees out, sun, water running through the drainage, you sure those are conditions to form ice? I don't know, does not seem possible to form ice in those conditions........

The temperature at night has been below freezing, so new ice is forming. But, if it makes you nervous, then don't go until it gets colder.

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2016, 08:58 PM »
What's everyone think of the ice conditions now? I went to clear lake on Saturday and had good luck, but mostly, I learned some things about yellow bass fishing. Looking to go back up north a bit in the morning. Be safe everyone.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2016, 09:14 PM »
According to the forecast, starting tomorrow the temps are suppose to drop below freezing, so I think by mid/late week it should be fine. If you go, I would punch a few holes to check the thickness. that' what I plan on doing.

Offline AltOutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about ice conditions in central Iowa recently?  Was really good, but not sure what the warmer temps and the rain yesterday might have done to it. 
Alternative Outdoors
Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Checked Big Creek today.  There were a couple guys out on the ice.  I checked the west boat ramp with a spud bar and it was pretty good with the exception of smaller holes that looked like air bubbles that were thin....not big enough to fall through but big enough to put your leg through.

I checked a pond in Des Moines area that was surprisingly good.  Probably 6-8 inches and clear.

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Found 8 and a half to 10" today 30 min north east of Ames.

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2016, 01:58 AM »
Badger had 8" of ice in most spots, some looked thicker. But the fish were tiny. My 10 yr old had a blast, but wanted to keep what he caught to eat. I hate cleaning DINKS !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.