Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: i got a mounter! need a good taxidermist!  (Read 4123 times)

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
i got a mounter! need a good taxidermist!
« on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Got a pig crappie today in a private pond. I live in CR but I could travel some for a good quality mount. I need some suggestions of places to take it, I'm fine with paying good money for good work, but it needs to be good work. Ideas please!

16.5", 2.705 LBS

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: i got a mounter! need a good taxidermist!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Holy Crap nice fish. First thing if you haven't wrap it in a wet towel then put it in a plastic bag squeeze the air out and freeze it. Very nice fish!  Find a good taxi a fish like that deserves it.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Take a couple pictures and good measurements of the fish. Then filet it and eat it.

Have a fiberglass replica made. They're cheaper, look better, and last a lot longer than a skin mount.

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:55 PM »
its wrapped in a white t-shirt that was soaked in water and in the freezer now, and midnight rambler, i'm almost positive that replicas are more expensive. I know it depends on the part of the country and the individual taxidermist but i have heard anywhere from 7-15 dollars and inch for skin mounts and 15-20+ on replicas. Personally I don't like replica's, i'd rather have the real thing but that's just me. Also, if i were going to have a replica made, i'd release the fish alive rather than eat it, but again, thats just me

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:59 PM »
"Take a couple pictures and good measurements of the fish. Then filet it and eat it.

Have a fiberglass replica made. They're cheaper, look better, and last a lot longer than a skin mount."

If he was going to do that, I doubt he would have kept it. These are the fish that if you are not going to mount need to be released not fileted. 

Nice fish, should make a great mount.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:13 PM »
We used to catch buckets of those and bigger, no money for mounts so we ate them....I also agree on a replica, will still look great when your grandkids are old enough to ask the story... Lax, Fiannte, Artistic Anglers are all good shops for replicas and should all be in the $12-$15 per inch range.... A good taxi will charge roughly the same....something like this is where you don't want the low bidder doing, see some butchered mounts done on the cheap....

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:20 PM »
as of right now im leaning towards collins taxidermy out of denver, ia (collinstaxidermy.com). $13 and inch for a skin mount and he has won some national and worldwide awards including a national championship, their gallery is pretty sweet.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Collins does great work, he did my bro's big walleye.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Nice one get it mounted ;D ;D ;D ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:54 PM »
my man cave is full of pictures of trophies (mostly 8x10's) but you can get them any size you want, even full size. A lot cheaper and I can relive the story behind each one. Of course I do have a couple mounts of speacal(sp) ones

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:49 AM »
its wrapped in a white t-shirt that was soaked in water and in the freezer now, and midnight rambler, i'm almost positive that replicas are more expensive. I know it depends on the part of the country and the individual taxidermist but i have heard anywhere from 7-15 dollars and inch for skin mounts and 15-20+ on replicas. Personally I don't like replica's, i'd rather have the real thing but that's just me. Also, if i were going to have a replica made, i'd release the fish alive rather than eat it, but again, thats just me

You are right the replica's do cost more than the skin mount.  I have a buddy who does taxidermy and lives in Oran, Iowa which is about 15min. from Independence.  Does some real good work as well and is like 7 to 9 bucks an inch on fish.  If you want his info let me know I will send it to you.

Here is a northern he just finished up.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Nice fish!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:23 AM »
That's a Beauty Mitch! Surely belongs on the Wall.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Sweet Fish!

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:45 PM »
That is a beauty

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:49 PM »
thats a beauty, so whats the story jiggin or ona  tip up DETAILS!!! HAHA
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:54 PM »
We used to catch buckets of those and bigger, no money for mounts so we ate them....

::)  Another DB comment from the DB Comment King. Why OF COURSE you are the BETTER fisherman. NO ONE can outfish YOU.  I'm from Kansas. We used to eat 18-19" Crappie out of Kirwin Reservoir in the late 90's. That and a buck will get you Snickers.  This wasn't the time to tell a guy that just got a whopper that you or I got 'em better Tommy Topper.

On to a better topic:
Congratulations on the Fish!!!

http://www.lewons.com/Fish.htm  It's a long ways from you but Lewon's is top-notch. I agree with many others that recommend a replica. They last forever for one thing. Lewon's use an outfit out of Minnesota for the forms that have top notch fins, gills, and scales. Lewon's paint is second to none. I'm sure there are great places by CR, not all replica's are lifelike, check out some work before you decide.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:17 PM »
We used to catch buckets of those and bigger, no money for mounts so we ate them....

Tommy Topper's Song (click me)

As I mentioned in the IS thread you also posted, what a great fish you caught Mitchell and you should be darned proud of that regardless of what some others might say.  Best of luck to you in your quest for a good taxidermist and it sounds like you're on the right track.  Be sure to post pics of the mount once it's completed.

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:20 PM »
::)  Another DB comment from the DB Comment King. Why OF COURSE you are the BETTER fisherman. NO ONE can outfish YOU.  I'm from Kansas. We used to eat 18-19" Crappie out of Kirwin Reservoir in the late 90's. That a buck will get you Snickers.  This wasn't the time to tell a guy that just got a whopper that you or I got 'em better Tommy Topper.

Hilarious.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2012, 02:33 PM »
Nice fish! Get a replica made, they will last a lot longer. A skin mount will look great for a year or two, good for 5 or 6, then dull and ugly for the rest of your life.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:12 PM »
thats a beauty, so whats the story jiggin or ona  tip up DETAILS!!! HAHA
Came on a crappie minnow on a tip DOWN. we were fishing macbride earlier in the day and it sucked so we went to the private pond to catch gills, which we did. then we moved deeper in hopes of the crappies (there arent many). 32 FOW out in the basin, no structure at all, they just roam. My buddy i was with got one the EXACT same size out of the same hole, they both took some work to get through a 6" hole.

Offline murf311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Hey Mitch very nice catch man. When are you headed back up to the IGL?

Shack- Viking LX300
Rod - HT Ice Blue
Line - Berkley Nanofil
Lure - Hexifly
Sonar - Showdown 5.6
Auger - Jiffy model 30

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Mitch nice fish!!!
http://

Offline chubking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:34 PM »
Awesome fish Mitch I dream of getting one that big.
TEAM ICEHEAD

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:45 AM »
Great looking fish.  Puts my 15"er to shame.

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Hey Mitch very nice catch man. When are you headed back up to the IGL?
hopefully spring break

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:09 AM »
Came on a crappie minnow on a tip DOWN. we were fishing macbride earlier in the day and it sucked so we went to the private pond to catch gills, which we did. then we moved deeper in hopes of the crappies (there arent many). 32 FOW out in the basin, no structure at all, they just roam. My buddy i was with got one the EXACT same size out of the same hole, they both took some work to get through a 6" hole.

thats awesome buddy congrats again
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

surflizard

« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:17 AM »
Congrats on the Monster slab Mitch, definately a fish of a lifetime, ditto on the replica's, much better, longer lasting results !

P.S. Don't mind the DB Comment, We've seen Your Monster Fish Picture, We haven't seen any of his !! ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2012, 03:44 PM »

P.S. Don't mind the DB Comment, We've seen Your Monster Fish Picture, We haven't seen any of his !! ;)2 :roflmao:

Listen, here's the deal. I've read a large number of DB comments and have kept a civil tongue. For whatever reason, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.  So, in honor of your defense, I will post another DB comment.  EVERY time I see one or a defense/attack I will post another. This is fun, I have time, and let's be honest Esox has provided plenty of cannon fodder.

Here is the first example. Keep it up and more will follow. Some from this board some from others. As to my fish catching ability, it's probably up for debate but I've caught a few.

Example Number one from Tommy Topper, errrr EM (try to read this without falling over laughing, I double dog dare you):

"Nice muskie but in all reality getting to be the norm in the muskie world, CPR has made the once 50" fish of a lifetime just another 50. We put 6 in the boat over 50 in 09 alone and have a few guys in the club that put several over 50 in their boats in 2010. To an outsider 50 is huge but as a muskie addict I see them weekly all season long and many pushing the 60" mark."

surflizard

« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2012, 03:48 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.