The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smelt?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Browntown

• IceShanty Rookie
Smelt?
« on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Has anyone been jigging up any smelt on champlain ressently? The action does not need to be hot just enough so I can get a meal.

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smelt?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Can't speak for Champlain, but we have been hammering them up on Magog. It's a bit of a drive, buy a hell of a lot of fun. The smelt are much smaller than those on Champlain. I like them that way. I eatem bones and all....

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:58 AM »
I plan on trying Shelburne bay for smelt this weekend early in the AM. Not sure if they are in there yet but you will never know unless you try. I and the kids love to eat them....Used to use as bait but not anymore :(

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:28 AM »
What does Shelburne bay have for ice on it whitetail?

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:46 AM »
right at the boat ramp I drilled 2 holes and there was 6 to 8 inches. There has been people there. There were also a few truck parked at the other end were the docks are so not sure if they walked out or if they were in the marsh. Did not take the time to look. I do plan on taking a walk and seeing how far I can go so I can hopefully do some laker fishing......jim s

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:51 AM »
How far out does the ice go into the bay? Id like to get by the point on the west side.

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:54 AM »
It way dark when I left so I really cant tell ya that but if I go out tonight or In the AM I will let you know what i find...jim s

Offline Browntown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:47 PM »
Fish&Beer, how have the trout been hitting on the Gog? Are the smelt everywhere like years past? I've caught good numbers from Strawberry Acres to the border and back down the east shore to the bait shop. Doesn't seem to matter where you fish smelt will hit.

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:55 PM »
We have been fishing outside the smelt village at the twins. Lots of action. The smelt are really in there. The trout have been slow. I got a nice hen rainbow opening day that went around 5 lbs. Last weekend my buddy got a male rainbow at about 4 lbs. No browns or salmon yet, but we have been getting some Hog perch. Sent my son out to fish at a perch hole we had at one tip up. He had a jigstick with 2 hooks. Within 15 minutes he had lost both hooks to something. It's fun using those smelt for bait and catching perch on them.

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:11 PM »
I have heard it is a blast to get them slab perch at Magog I cant wait to make my first triop up there. A buddy of mine has a bunch of photos he like to show me so ya I have seen some monsters come out of there....jim s

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.