Author Topic: What are your Goals this coming Season?  (Read 5679 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
What are your Goals this coming Season?
« on: Oct 04, 2022, 09:26 PM »
I managed to stay off ice Shanty until October this year which is good for me since I usually really start getting the itch in early September! Curious what everyone’s goals are for this season? Had Covid over Christmas and New Years last year so I wasn’t able to get on the ice before the new year. If all goes well my first goal is to be on the ice the week after Christmas, already have the PTO request in.
Second goal is to camp on the ice. This will be year four of me having this goal but I think I will get it done this year. Tried a few years ago and it was a disaster, learned a lot so we will see what happens. At this point I want to do it just to say I did it.

Handful of my goals. Mostly rambling but I am getting excited.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: What are your Goals this coming Season?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2022, 06:11 AM »
I hope you do follow through with your goal to camp on the ice. There is a lot of info already on another thread about ice camping, check it out if you have not. The main thing is staying safe while sleeping with the heater on so that you don't get exposed to a high level of CO or burn the shelter down. The Buddy heaters have a high CO level shutoff for safety, but you should be able to use something else as long as the shelter has good venting and fresh air intake (the Shappel that I owned had 2 vents for air exchange ).

I camped on the ice a handful of times and enjoyed it for the most part. It was creepy being the only person out there as I did it alone, but it is worth it.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2022, 08:10 AM »
My goal this year is to get out on the ice since my injury I haven’t been out.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2022, 08:29 AM »
More trips up north, fish some new to me places, catch a 15" yellow perch

Catchin' Fish

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2022, 09:20 AM »
My goal is to get my wife a 28-30" walleye and a 40" plus jack for myself. I have taken her to big fish lakes before and she will hook one but gets too excited and usually snags the hook on the hole or gives too much slack in the line (barbless hooks). In turn she blames me for not helping when the fish is 3 feet below the ice lol.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2022, 09:38 AM »
Always want to try new lakes around me, and to be more mobile.  That last one always seems to get me.  Weather always seems to dictate what we end up doing. Maybe have to force myself to bring my own shelter more often and pull up stakes.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2022, 10:38 AM »
Every year I have plans to get out and fish- the last two years I didn't get out once. This year my goal is to have an actual season.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2022, 10:56 AM »
Nothing too special, just hoping to get out as much or more than I did last season. I had about 20 days on the ice, I'd like to get 25-30 this year.

Being on the tail end of the ice belt, most of that is up to the weather. Some years we have good fishable ice for 6-8 weeks, and other years we won't even see walkable ice on a puddle. 🤷‍♂️

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2022, 12:36 PM »
Catch a 10# walleye and a 10# lake trout. Learn to use my new Livescope unit to be more productive/learn more on the ice. 

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2022, 02:09 PM »
To be able to get out and tow my gear without too much effort or pain. This old guy is definitely slowing down, and I find myself making more noise getting out of bed, than I do IN bed! I’m not complaining, I’m just facing reality! Old age ain’t for the weak! 😩
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2022, 02:26 PM »
To be able to get out and tow my gear without too much effort or pain. This old guy is definitely slowing down, and I find myself making more noise getting out of bed, than I do IN bed! I’m not complaining, I’m just facing reality! Old age ain’t for the weak! 😩

Same here. At 66 and not getting younger. Used to be a squatter on the ice. Can't do it anymore. Knees won't have it. Devised this thing. Keeps me upright and mobile. Hope it works.
https://postimg.cc/2VFDwBNX
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2022, 04:50 PM »
Just getting out there...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Same here. At 66 and not getting younger. Used to be a squatter on the ice. Can't do it anymore. Knees won't have it. Devised this thing. Keeps me upright and mobile. Hope it works.
https://postimg.cc/2VFDwBNX

Looks like it will work Ice!
Good solution to an “aging” problem! Just don’t forget a chair! Lol
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2022, 08:40 PM »
I don't set goals for fishing, just try to get out as often as I can and go with the flow. With my freezer still filled with salmon, steelhead, and pike fillets, I'm likely going to try to target more bass on ice, especially big smallies as long as the weather / snow cover allows easy access to the spots I have in mind. Have a new spot or two to try targeting pike closer to home, when my bass lakes further North have to much snow to access and trek on foot.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2022, 09:36 PM »
I hope you do follow through with your goal to camp on the ice. There is a lot of info already on another thread about ice camping, check it out if you have not. The main thing is staying safe while sleeping with the heater on so that you don't get exposed to a high level of CO or burn the shelter down. The Buddy heaters have a high CO level shutoff for safety, but you should be able to use something else as long as the shelter has good venting and fresh air intake (the Shappel that I owned had 2 vents for air exchange ).

I camped on the ice a handful of times and enjoyed it for the most part. It was creepy being the only person out there as I did it alone, but it is worth it.

I follow a lot of those threads. I’ve got all the gear and carbon monoxide detector, just haven’t gotten the ambition to try it again. First time out was a disaster. Cot was too big for the shack, heater couldn’t keep up, -15 with a 20mph wind. I made myself a can of soup on my camp stove and after I could still see my breath in the shack with the big buddy on high I chickened out and went to the econo lodge for the night. I should have done a better job of setting up and trying things out before I got to the ice. Got a new shack las
T year that should work extremely well.

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2022, 10:04 PM »
Finish my 6 month project of converting an old snowmobile into an ice fishing machine (I'm getting close and hope to do a video soon).  Buy new 2 man flip over shelter and be a lot more mobile vs too often fishing in my permanent in the same spot on the same lake.  Catch some finicky fish with the 3 "Bite Me Box" tip-ups I built from scratch.  Catch a 40" pike on Green Bay late season.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2022, 01:19 AM »
  Same as every year. Haul in a 20# northern.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2022, 02:12 AM »
This

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2022, 04:35 AM »

I usually fish 3 to 4 days a week but with the gas prices the way they are I hope to be able to keep it up. :whistle:

IW

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2022, 05:01 AM »
 To check out new spots on lakes fished most.                may need to rethink this took a skunk yesterday

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2022, 05:19 AM »
Finish my snowdog build.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2022, 06:16 AM »

I have also been saying this for the past 30 years. My PB is 14 lbs so not complaining at all. I would be even happier with breaking my PB crappie of 17 ". I know there are even bigger ones where I fish.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2022, 08:29 AM »
Get on some new hardwater this year. Lucky last year with the quality of ice and want to continue learning this year.  Really hope to get a few of my buddies to come out on the ice with me to show 'em how much fun it can be.

Also to get my Pops out there on the hardwater again this year, was lots of fun pulling up dinks with him last year with the few submarines in between.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2022, 05:23 PM »
Make it to payday without getting fired...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2022, 06:37 AM »
Make it to payday without getting fired...

:clap: :roflmao:

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2022, 09:32 PM »
As always, fish lots and come home safe.

Catching a bunch would be a bonus.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #26 on: Oct 08, 2022, 05:43 AM »
...not having an ________ game warden...  ;D

most are nice, but some aren't.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #27 on: Oct 08, 2022, 07:23 AM »
Looks like it will work Ice!
Good solution to an “aging” problem! Just don’t forget a chair! Lol

Yup. Got the chair. One of those small 3-legged folding types for those well deserved rests. Lol

Now my only dilemma is choosing a rod. I've decided on an Elliot Evolution (Two Brothers Innovations). Either the 44" UL or 42" Noodle. Right now it's a toss-up.  ???

https://twobrothersinnovations.com/elliott-rods/ice-rods/
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2022, 07:59 AM »
More outings ...I uped my game mid season last year with a Eskimo Sierra thermal...Flame King tanks were added at the beginning of my season last year ..with those two add ons I fished alot ...this season it should be alot more .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2022, 09:34 AM »
I'd like to stay on the right side of the ice this year, that would be nice for a freakin' change, but mostly my goal would be to fish more often.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.