The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sufix 832 Ice Braid?  (Read 3484 times)

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
Sufix 832 Ice Braid?
« on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Anyone have the chance to use the 832 ice braid yet?  I'm a big fan of superlines in open water and getting ready to spool 4-5 ice rods with 4lb-10lb line and 4 tip-ups with 20lb.  Fishing crappies, walleye, northern (capable).  Curious as to how a darter or smaller jigs would operate on this stuff.  Anybody with experience?

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sufix 832 Ice Braid?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I am interested as well.  Wanting to use this line this year.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:30 AM »
It works well very little twist but I can’t see the advantage on a tip up if you are going to be running a leader either way

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I bought a spool of 8#  for trout but haven’t been able to use it yet, still wondering if I should use a mono leader or tie it right to ice jig?
Easy does it.
Let them go so they can grow.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I have it on one of my walleye sticks that I typically take up to LOTW with me.  That's all hub and shelter fishing, so as they say, YMMV outdoors, but I've been happy with it.  No line breaks and just some minor fraying above my fluro leader from rubbing on the hole.  Plan to trim back 10ft or so this season and tie on a new fluro leader and get back at it.  Typically fish 1/16-1/4 oz spoons, jigs, and rippin raps on that stick.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Anyone have the chance to use the 832 ice braid yet?  I'm a big fan of superlines in open water and getting ready to spool 4-5 ice rods with 4lb-10lb line and 4 tip-ups with 20lb.  Fishing crappies, walleye, northern (capable).  Curious as to how a darter or smaller jigs would operate on this stuff.  Anybody with experience?

I've got all my rods rigged with Nanofil (also a superline) and prefer a fused finish to braid as they seem to hold less water. It's easy to tie on whatever leader you wish: mono, fluoro or just fish it as is. 6# test is like a 3# mono/fluoro diameter. As for spooling tipups? I think you'll find the 20# difficult to handle simply because of it's thinness. Before superlines came along my tipup standard was 36# Dacron, again for ease of handling in the cold. You would need 80 - 100# superline to approximate that line diameter.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I have all my Black Betty reels spooled with 4# Suffix.  No stretch, nice hook sets, and you can feel light bites nicely. It freezes a bit at the hole, but comes right off with just wrapping your fingers around the line at that point. I'm going on my 3rd season with it. I haven't had any problems using it except as the season goes on it's hard to find, so if you're going to buy it I wouldn't hesitate, so buy more than what you need. I learned that when I went back to buy some to fill another couple reels after using it and it wasn't available.

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Nice.  I'll give the 832 ice a shot this season.  Been spooling sufix ice on all ice rods since it's release 4-5 years ago ?  - to the guy who runs it multiple ice seasons -> you gotta be seeing coils when you run it down, I can't run it more than 1 season without it memorizing the spool and screwing with flashers.. could be that not using a line spooler is causing that but ?  - Did you guys have any issues with it vs. your flasher?

Some good info here guys, thank you.  Run 60-80lb 832 Ghost on the tips for 3 years w/o replacing it.. think i'm going to swap this year to actual tip up line to avoid line freeze and overall handling.  Didn't bother running a leader with the Ghost, caught fish, and literally flosses fish teeth w/o breakoff.  Works okay but does seem to freeze faster than actual tip up line and does take on water the more you use it.  A couple good tug and dunks before resetting your flag is a must.

Switched from the dark green to Ghost on the trout stream in spring and used on LOW this summer.  Had trouble seeing it above water and appeared to see better under water compared to the DG in my opinion.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:09 PM »
I have 4 # Suffix 832 advanced ice super line on 1 reel . I have never seen braid come apart or ball up like a wad of cotton before. The bead for the bobber stop actually causes it to unravel. I use Sufix 832 braid on my open water rods and like it but this stuff has got to go.
Oops! is too late.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:06 AM »
I've used Sufix 832 for quite a long time.  The ice braid however not so much, because for one thing, you get the 50 yd spools.  It may be available in smaller test# like 4# test.

Like all things, braid suffers and wears out much faster on cheaper equipment compare to expensive set ups.  The line quality of today as well as the reel quality have much improved.  Everything are just tools, and when used not for their optimal performance merits, we experience misgivings.  Anyway with the recent release of Fireline 8 braid carrier thermal fused line, that is much better suited for ice fishing.  And again, Fireline with it's fused form is a bit wiry and with higher test# it becomes even more obvious.

Sufix 832 is a huge improvement over old Sufix Performance braid.  The supposed sinking value of 832 is not even evident, because I did a water test in a jar.  At first the line will sink, if you fully submerge it and all.  However after a few hours when my water formed micro bubbles from simple temperature adjustment or whatever water does.  The line floated back up, no different than all the other braids I've done a water jar test on a short section of the line.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.