The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Detroit Lakes resorts  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Detroit Lakes resorts
« on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Has anyone done any ice fishing trips to the Detroit lakes area? Looking for recommendations on resorts, guides or lakes to target. I'm trying to find a place to take the wife for a weekend fishing trip to target panfish so that she'll stay busy...I haven't had much luck on google, most of the stuff I find are just hotels that advertise more of a "vacation getaway" or the resorts look like they shut down in the winter. Doesn't look like there are any sleeper shacks or anything of the sort offered out there either. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated!
Da Pack!

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Detroit Lakes resorts
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2017, 04:57 PM »
You're right on many of the resorts in that they are seasonal; There are a couple of nice hotels on Detroit Lake itself, but in my opinion hotels kind of suck for ice fishing trips as I find I usually bring a lot of gear in at night and they just aren't roomy.  I'd check out VRBO and see what's out there.  For pannies, Dead Shot Bay off of DL is a decent place to start - easy access by foot if needed and decent numbers of fish.  That combo can mean a fair number of anglers, too.  There are hundreds of lakes in the area, once you find lodging shoot me a note and I can try to direct you to some others close by.

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Also, just remembered that Outlet Recreation rents Ice Castles if you're able to tow one.  Obviously a do-it-yourself thing as far as setting up and whatnot, but a good option if you want to stay on the ice.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Has anyone done any ice fishing trips to the Detroit lakes area? Looking for recommendations on resorts, guides or lakes to target. I'm trying to find a place to take the wife for a weekend fishing trip to target panfish so that she'll stay busy...I haven't had much luck on google, most of the stuff I find are just hotels that advertise more of a "vacation getaway" or the resorts look like they shut down in the winter. Doesn't look like there are any sleeper shacks or anything of the sort offered out there either. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated!

let me do some asking around. I might have a lead for you on a trip with one of the ice team pros that I believes guides around that area. the person I am thinking of is Tony Mariotti. here is a link to his ice team bio.  http://iceteam.com/pages/tony-mariotti
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys!
I agree, staying in a hotel just isn't quite the same. I've been looking into VRBO and that is looking like the best possibility at this point. I didn't know about the ice castle rentals though, I'll need to look into that. Hauling it wouldn't be a problem and I could always use my portable to find the fish.

Littlepineguy - I'll be in touch, much appreciated!!

Monticat - that would be awesome! Based on the size of the gill on his bio page I'm thinking he does some fishing out in that area  ;)
Da Pack!

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Whaley’s Resort just north of Detroit Lakes. It’s on Many Points Lake, they have year round cabins and the owners have ice castles ready to go.

http://www.whaleysresort.com

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Had one of contacts call Tony today. he would be able to do a trip around the D.L. area but will be limiting the total number of trips he runs this year as he works for the state when not fishing and never knows for sure what his schedule would look like. If for some reason the days you were thinking wouldn't work for Tony I do know of a few more guides that might be able to help you out. they are not right in D.L. but are close to that area(just east of that area) or would maybe willing to drive up there(St Cloud based but fishes Northern Minnesota a lot). also if you are not set on the D.L. Area I can see if the I could get you set up with the manager of Ice Team. He guides too  but normally in the metro area of Minnesota (Lake Minnetonka & Chisago Chain of lakes) and up on the Horse shoe Chain in Stearns County  if you would like I can forward you Tony's number or info for the others.  just send me a PM on here or email me at [email protected] and I will get it to you.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.