The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up setup for laker?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
Tip up setup for laker?
« on: Mar 10, 2018, 12:27 AM »
What do u guys usual use for a setup for lakers with live bait?
- line, sinker, hook, swivel....

This is a new specie on tip up for me this season.
I use Heritage tip up.

Thanks
David
David Vadnais

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip up setup for laker?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2018, 04:41 AM »
I use regular squid line for backing then a barrel swivel,six feet of fire line ,another barrel swivel and six more feet of fire line,snap swivel then my hook set-up. The extra swivels  help prevent line twist at deeper depths.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Tip up line. Small Barrel Swivel with 5-6ft of 6-8lb flouro to a 4-6sz hook. If I do use a sinker I use a smaller one about 18 inches above the bait. Biggest thing I wish people told me when I first started for Lakers is don't set all your tip ups right on the bottom. Good Luck!

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2018, 09:45 AM »
I rarely ever use a sinker unless im fishing towards the bottom.  Never usually get tangles and they can swim freely/more natural. IMO.
FLAG!!

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Tip up line. Small Barrel Swivel with 5-6ft of 6-8lb flouro to a 4-6sz hook. If I do use a sinker I use a smaller one about 18 inches above the bait. Biggest thing I wish people told me when I first started for Lakers is don't set all your tip ups right on the bottom. Good Luck!

I use to do that too until we started catching them 5 feet under the ice in 30 feet of water.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Change them up. Some on bottom, some suspended. And a few just a few feet down.
Depends on depth and bait too.
For a leader i use a good bearing swivel with 8 lb mono.
If you get into a good sized fish just take your time getting it to the hole.
Especially salmon.
Lake Champlain lakers dont have anywhere near the fight they do in any other lake in this state.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2018, 08:32 PM »
If you have a flasher I’d just jig for them
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Lake Champlain lakers dont have anywhere near the fight they do in any other lake in this state.

I haven't noticed much of a difference, pound for pound, between champ lakers and NEK lakers, with the exception being in really warm top water on champ in late summer.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I’ve felt that summer lakers come in like dead weight while winter ones put up a much better fight
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:31 AM »
Very interesting yours personnal set up.

Thanks guys !👍
David Vadnais

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2018, 05:48 AM »
I don’t know where the idea that lakers in champ don’t fight is coming from, but last summer we had lakers fighting like salmon all summer. The big ones tend to hold bottom and just take out line, but the 5-7lb class fish were fiesty, peeling drag and coming out of the water.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:30 AM »
Weird. I’ll target em in the winter but I don’t have a boat so I cant really go out for em often in the summer but the ones I’ve caught felt like reeling in a old boot zero fight no jumping or drag peeling. Winter the fight like crazy I’ll take em then

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I used to fish them in the summer with charter boat coming up out of 100 feet of water they don’t fight that hard   But when we fish for them in the spring close to shore trolling in 6-8 feet of water 250 feet of line out yeh then u had your hands full it feel like u were stuck on bottom and they did not want come to the boat lot of fun

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:49 PM »
I think when you are fighting them in warm water vs. cold, they just can't breathe as well in warm water. This is analogous to why running a marathon at 13,000 feet is MUCH harder than at sea level. Cold water has more oxygen, so the fish are feistier. NEK lakes stay colder than champ in general, so I could see there being a difference, once you get them through the thermocline anyway. Still, a 13 pound laker puts up a really good fight, regardless of the season, and your odds of connecting to one of those is indisputably best on Champ.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:54 PM »
There’s also a big difference between a summer rod and a winter rod... even if you are using similar sized reels and line weight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.