The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Champlain islands  (Read 977 times)

Offline Jeffsor

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Champlain islands
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Looking for advice.  Plan on coming up for a weekend to ice fish in the islands area.   Maybe north hero area Looking for a place to stay with my son.  Also looking for advice on some spots to try   Mainly jogging but we will put out some tip ups.  Plan on coming March 8 weekend from Connecticut.  Fished open water before there but not hard water.  Season in Ct may have another week or 2 left only.  How long does island area ice season usually last until. I know lots of questions. I am grateful for any info. Thanks

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
Re: Lake Champlain islands
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Holiday Harbors to stay at if your going to North Hero. Great place. You can fish right there and get your bait. Plenty of other locations to fish if you stay there also. Over 20 inches of ice and the long range isn't looking to bad for up there I would say you'll still have plenty of ice March 8th.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Jeffsor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Awesome thanks I will check them out.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Shanties with wood heat an typically drive to the spot makes for great place for father-son.

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Definitely give Bruce a call at Holiday Harbor. There are great opportunities for pike right at the harbor or north in Dillenback, and pan fish in Carry bay and many other spots close by. Everything within a 15 minute drive. Good luck!

Offline Jeffsor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:09 AM »
Thanks would love to find some crappie.   My dad back in the day use to have a camper in carry bag and would catch crappie in the early spring after ice out.  Are they in those weed beds in the winter there.

Offline Trout471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:12 PM »
we came up from CT last week, great fishing, I will be going again the week of the ninth, just cant get enough of VT, awesome fishing and we hit several spots did well in all of them especially considering first ice trip there and wasn't sure where to go, but bruce had a ton of info that saved me a lot of driving and great bait. this time were staying at his place, its nice to be able to just walk out and fish. good luck to ya defiantly worth the ride

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Thanks would love to find some crappie.   My dad back in the day use to have a camper in carry bag and would catch crappie in the early spring after ice out.  Are they in those weed beds in the winter there.
Yes they are still there in the general area but probably won't be in the same spots as spring.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.