The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Gas Ice augers  (Read 8706 times)

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
Gas Ice augers
« on: Mar 12, 2003, 12:46 AM »
I need info on roughly what it costs for a decent GAS auger. I have not really checked them out yet. Always went with the handheld. Now that the socket of my shoulder feels like it was crushed in a diamond press I would like to get one for next season ;) Who seams to sell the best models for the best prices ??? I know you gotta shop around but with all the decent guys that share information on this site it would help take out some of the guesswork. Any feedback is most welcome 8) :'(

Scott_Wright

Re: Gas Ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2003, 03:52 AM »
genz man,

I have been asking that same question, as my shoulder is about spent!! Here's what I have been told by lots of folds:

At the end of ice fishing season, check out all the classified adds in the local newspapers of your area. In Maine, we have a weekly classified booklet that lists stuff for sale all over the state, from cars to toys to whatever.. The several guys I talked to said that right after ice out, you can usually buy a good second-hand auger for under $100.00. New, they are going from $275-$400. I have seen them on-line at Cabalas, Jiffy and other sites.

I talked to a local small engine repair shop, that works on lawn mowers and snowblowers and such, and he said that a 5-10 year old power auger will still run great, year after year, if you tune the thing and have the blades sharpened each year. He said he does about 100 a year. I intend to get a used one, and have it tuned and sharpened and save myself $100-$200 bucks (not to mention my shoulder)

This is all hear-say info, but it seemed like it sounded right to me... Hope it helps you.  :)

God Bless,
Scott from Maine.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2003, 04:52 AM »
A new one this time of year will run you between 250 and 350.
I missed a good deal at Gander mountain, they had their Strikemaster Mag 2000 for 219.99 and I couldn't find one left in the state of PA.  You will find that the 2 HP are alot cheaper and lighter and I see no need for a 3 HP.  Reedssports.com has some good deals on their power augers right now with free shipping.  Also check out thornebros.com, they also have free shipping.  Cabela's is over priced and their shipping will kill ya. You will also find that there are two types of auges. Ones with chipper blades and ones with blades like the lazers.  The chipper blades are cheaper and get the job done and will not dull as fast as the laxer blades.  Plus the lazer blades will cost you more to replace.  So there are many options to consider.  If it was up to me, I would buy a 2HP with a chipper blade, like the Jiffy DR lighting or the Strikemaster MAg 2000.  Just my 2 cents.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline FFFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2003, 01:32 PM »
Hey Scott, I saw an auger and portable shack in uncle henry's this week. Also I saw the Strikemaster 2000 mentioned, I bought one a few years ago for $200 at wal-mart, I thought it looked a little cheesy compared to my old Eskimo, but I have used it a lot and love it, it is lightweight and cuts fine.
Brace your feet! Them flags gonna start poppin any minute!!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2003, 04:47 PM »
genz man, if you fish slabs like i do, and like to move around don'T even think about a gas auger :o PLEASE READ in NY forem:

March 10th  '' Hand augerss what's good''

genz i and many others tried one and WOW, its like you are cutting air, no lie :o

Picture can be seen on ''more from Conesus'' ON LAST PICTURE in right corner.

Any further questions can be directed to TONYB  NY forem :)

Glad to help

Crappieloo
Wayne CO.  NY

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2003, 03:51 PM »
some k-marts in our area (nh) that are going out of business are selling them brand new for around 100 buck......these are new strikemaster 2000.  might not hurt to make a few calls in your area!
BUD

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2003, 12:47 AM »
Im on the same boat as you Genz Man, Im looking for a gas auger. Im getting a good tax return this year, and want to buy a Vexilar FL18 & Gas auger, but been having a hard time finding them now. Gander Moutain did have a Strikemaster gas auger for $219, but they dont have any more gas augers in stock (sold out!),same deal with the Vexilar. I figured this may be a good time of year to buy one, as many places are clearing ice gear out now. Id say for fishing our area, we wouldnt need anything too high powered. Last year we only got 8 inches of ice, this year it was 2 feet worth, it does make your arm tired doing it by hand, especially if you drill many holes. Good investment (gas auger)if you ask me.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2003, 02:28 AM »
Ok, I have a gas auger. I like mine but it is noisy. It does not scare the fish. I have caught many fish scant seconds after drilling a hole. I have the Mag2000. $219 is not a sale on these. Thats regular price. They start good and cut well. They are not as fast as a 3 hp jiffy but they cost a ton less. I watched a guy cut no less than 100 holes with a jiffy yesterday and that thing cut much faster than mine. Ever watch a guy cut 100 holes? Don`t. But the time difference is not that big measured against cutting them by hand. If you look youll find a sale but just buy a Mag2000 and itll work for ya. You wont find many in the classifieds during july so buy one now or wait till Nov. Good Luck.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2003, 03:12 PM »
Genz Man, I have a 3 HP Jiffy Legend with D-Ice'r ARMOR and the new Serrated Ripper Blade which I purchased from Reedssports in Feb, for $299.99.  It cuts really well and the D-Ice'r ARMOR prevents ice build-up on the blade.  I too, was undecided as to whether to buy a strikemaster or jiffy as well as 2 HP vs 3 HP.  My final decision was based on price, researching the pro's and con's of both, and most importantly talking with people on the ice.  If you get a chance try both as I tried the strikemaster Mag as well as the JIffy and it cut great (making my decision that much more difficult).  If you are going to be moving alot when on the ice, the 2 HP is significantly lighter and will do the job, making it a more feasible option.  If you don't move around much, I would go with the 3 HP (either Jiffy or Strikemaster) and you will not be sorry.  Hope this helped.  
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2003, 04:25 AM »
My buddy just purchased a 2 HP Jiffy Lightning with the Stealth blade.  This is the first time I ever used a gas auger and boy was I missing out.  This thing cut like butter and even with the 2HP you only needed it at about 3/4 throttle.  I see no reason to have a 3HP.  We had 5 guys this past weekend and our set-up time was probably cut in half by having the gas auger.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2003, 05:07 PM »
I purchased a Lazer 3000 auger. It's the top of the line w/ a 3 h.p. moter. It weighs 36 lbs. It saved my back this year I'll tell ya that much. I looked around quite a bit and found this one at dicks sporting goods. I beleive it cost 378.00. The way I figure it , I'll have it for many yrs.  so it's well worth it.I like the 3hp. motor because it does'nt work as hard as the 2hp. which in-turn will help it last a longer life as I take care of all my hunting/fishing equip. . I think it was worth the extra money and beleive me it has made ice fishing much more enjoyeable.What-ever you get,just take good care of it.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2003, 12:40 AM »
In a good year, I doubt my auger will get 10 hrs of use. I fished 50some times this year and only plan on fishing more in the future. In light of that, any auger will last many years. Think if lawn mowers fell apart after only 200 Hrs. You would go nuts. I`m sure I have more than 300 on my Walmart cheapo mower.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2003, 03:51 AM »
Don't own one yet either but after this year I'm definetly looking into one. My 02cents would be dont buy it because its expensive. Look into parts replacement How long to get them how much they cost. Some things you buy to save a few bucks, cost you twice as much in parts replacement. As far as motors and the gear boxes clutches ect. Do your homework and do your maintenance. Dont just put them away after the season Look them over look for problems before they become a problem. Even as much as starting them a few times a year will help. Like Mr.Seaguar said lawn mowers can last 10 years so can a auger But it cann't work on itself it needs someone to take care of it.
Cold feet

cattywombat

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2003, 01:49 PM »
Check out this website, this is where I just picked up my jiffy, and I love it so far, plus they have great customer service and free shipping, I bought the stealth legend lightning 2 hp and it rips threw the ice, plus it has the d icearmour which I don't see as a big deal but why not. It took only 4 days to arrive here in PA. I just wished I would have ordered it earlier, before you buy from somewhere else make sure it is still in stock, had a problem with reedessports, they showed it was in stock and a week later it never arrived finally called them and they gave me the run around for another week and I finally cancelled my order and found this company and they had great service. Just my 2 cents.
http://www.altapower.tv/Index.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.