Canada > Ice Fishing North West Territories

Last Weekends Adventure

(1/2) > >>

Drifter_016:
     Well I finally got out for a few hours after hibernating for 2 months of bitter cold, where temperatures reached -48C and -56C with the wind chill. Saturday was a beautiful warm (-10C) and I planned to hit up Mason Lake for some Lakers and Pike. Well I changed plans in mid stream, about 1/4 of the way to my destination I noticed that the ice road that leads into Great Slave Lakes main basin was in. I decided that instead of bouncing across the very rough trails and lakes I would head on down the road. Now I didn't have my GSL chart with me so I had to wing it. I drove down the road until I saw a fishy looking spot, jumped off the ice road and headed towards a rocky point.

I drilled several holes in a line between the point and an island 1/2 km away. The water depth varied between 70 and 90 feet and was under 3 1/2 feet of clear black ice. Bait wise I had herring and large (3") shiners. By the end of the day I wished I had brought some whitefish tackle as for 3 hours I had fish constantly under every hole I drilled, but not a single taker. I would have liked to have one of them neeto' cameras to see what was milling around my baits. I could have been upset but it was just nice to finally be outside again.

I had plans to head out on Sunday as well but on the way home I got my sled stuck while trying to climb back over the berm onto the ice road. 20 minuites to 1/2 hour later after shoveling out my sled I was back on my way and by the time I got home was completely exhausted. And Sunday I had sore muscles where I didn't even know I had muscles!! :roflmao: I couldn't even move until 6PM. The good thing is we have another 6 to 8 weeks of prime hardwater fishing to go!!

So no fish, but a few nice pics just the same.

Simmy04548:
Stunning pics! Some fish would have made it better, but beautiful none the less.

TGF:
So I guess thats why they call you Drifter....going around from place to place looking for a good spot to fish. Not sure about the 016 ;D
Great scenery shots. Looking forward to more.

Drifter_016:
The handle has come over from other boards, the Drifter is the make of one of my Centerpins and the 016 is the serial #.
Hopefully my next outing will show some nice fisheys on the ice................and then coated in batter, frying away!!!        

tip-uptwo:
Looks a bit chilly  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version