Author Topic: Snowdog Registration  (Read 1846 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Snowdog Registration
« on: Nov 11, 2022, 05:29 PM »
Utah requires ATVs and snowmobiles to be registered with the state on an annual basis.  And of course, there are taxes & fees collected for each registration/renewal.  So far, the Snowdog type machines don't fit into a category that requires said registration.  Just out of curiosity, does Idaho require the Snowdog type machines to be registered?
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowdog Registration
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2022, 07:15 PM »
That’s a good question and I don’t believe so.  Give tackle Tom’s In cascade a call. They’ll know for sure.

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2022, 10:35 PM »
I own a snowdog and yes a snowmobile trails permit are required in Idaho even if all you ever do is drive to the parking lot and drive onto the lake . Last year was the 1st year they required one cost is around $40 for the season, I wasn't happy about having to buy one because i don't use any snowmobile trails but it is another way to raise money.

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2022, 10:38 PM »
I should have read your post more closely, I don't think you need a registration to get a trail permit but you will need a snowmobile trails permit to run your snowdog on the lake. Check with tackle tom's or valley bait and tackle.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:18 AM »
That’s a good question and I don’t believe so.  Give tackle Tom’s In cascade a call. They’ll know for sure.
I just did.  He said he used to sell them and as of right now Idaho does NOT have any requirement to register or permit them.  Which is in disagreement with idtrout's post above.  So, I called Idaho Parks & Rec and they will get back to me with the official answer shortly.  Stay tuned.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2022, 10:37 AM »
UPDATE: ID Parks & Rec called me back.  Idaho Statute 67-7101 (15) snowmobile definition: "Snowmobile" means any self-propelled vehicle under two thousand (2,000) pounds unladened gross weight, designed primarily for travel on snow or ice or over natural terrain, that may be steered by tracks, skis, or runners.  The ID Parks & Rec folks interpretation of that definition is that a Snow Dog type machine is covered by that definition and therefore requires a snowmobile trails permit.  For non-residents, the permit is $59.50.  I also contacted the ID DMV, Registration and found out that snow dog type machines are not required to be registered in Idaho - now.

With all the license/access fees, fuel, lodging, restaurant food costs associated with a Monday - Friday trip to Cascade from Ogden, I'm down $800 before I ever set foot on the ice.  I'll be fishing closer to home and within the Utah borders this year.  My disposable income isn't growing nearly as fast as my cost to live these days.  Have a great ice season in Idaho with tight lines wished for all y'all.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.