Author Topic: Lake Trout Reel  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Trout Reel
« on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for a lake trout reel? Ive been looking for a new one and thought the freefall xl from 13 fishing was going to be the one. I tried out my buddies this weekend and couldn't figure out how to adjust the drop speed. After reading some more reviews on the reel it seems that they tried to use a magnetic drag system on an aluminum spool so now I am back to looking for good options.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Trout Reel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:48 AM »
Hmmm...not sure why the freefall inline reel for lakers?  Maybe I'm missing something.  I thought those reels were mostly for shallow water fishing?

As far as reels, anything by Shimano or Daiwa is generally a good bet - lots of options depending on your budget.  I like the Okuma Ceymar reels, too.

Good luck!  :tipup:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:04 AM »
Hmmm...not sure why the freefall inline reel for lakers?  Maybe I'm missing something.  I thought those reels were mostly for shallow water fishing?

As far as reels, anything by Shimano or Daiwa is generally a good bet - lots of options depending on your budget.  I like the Okuma Ceymar reels, too.

Good luck!  :tipup:

Good in shallow bc line capacity doesn’t matter but there main purpose is to not cause line twist.

I agree with the Shimano and Daiwa I won’t fish any other brand of reel and I prefer the shimano. I won’t use a okuma.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2022, 02:55 PM »
Good in shallow bc line capacity doesn’t matter but there main purpose is to not cause line twist.

I agree with the Shimano and Daiwa I won’t fish any other brand of reel and I prefer the shimano. I won’t use a okuma.

I've caught my biggest laker on an okuma avenger. Not my favorite but it's serviceable. I run two daiwas and a penn for my laker rods 2500 size
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:08 PM »
I guess it probably depends and the size of bait you're going to be using and the size of fish you want to target. The Shimano Nasci is very nice and with 20lb drag on the 2500 it should hold most fish. Quantum Vapor is 18lbs at 2500 size. I use these for summer and big fish targeting it winter.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:09 PM »
I've caught my biggest laker on an okuma avenger. Not my favorite but it's serviceable. I run two daiwas and a penn for my laker rods 2500 size

Ahhh so you know as well it’s a only if you haveto  ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:11 PM »
I guess it probably depends and the size of bait you're going to be using and the size of fish you want to target. The Shimano Nasci is very nice and with 20lb drag on the 2500 it should hold most fish. Quantum Vapor is 18lbs at 2500 size. I use these for summer and big fish targeting it winter.

Also agreed, the Nasci is the greatest reel in the market in that 100 or less range.

I will say Quantum has never once failed me and I push every reel to the limit on big fish. I would put quantum at number 3 for me

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:30 PM »
Pflueger President is pretty good for the price point. Trion isn't bad either.
Tight Lines!

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:20 PM »
I’d recommend a stradic, but everything g from shimano is good from my experience, one of my favorites on my trout setups is a old sienna, works awesome. But if you want something with the bells and whistles look into the stradic, they are multiple models all even the regular one is very nice.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:26 PM »
I’d recommend a stradic, but everything g from shimano is good from my experience, one of my favorites on my trout setups is a old sienna, works awesome. But if you want something with the bells and whistles look into the stradic, they are multiple models all even the regular one is very nice.

I still have my original White Stradics from when I was in high school 18 years ago and have done nothing to them. I run the carbon version now as well  and the Vanford. What a reel!

The Sienna for 30 bucks will put any other brands 55 dollar reel to shame

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:36 PM »
I'm a fan of Shimano as well.  A mix of Sedonas, Siennas, Symetres and a couple of Stradics.  The Stradics are too pricey to lose down the hole so I never set em down when I fish with them.  If you're on a budget you might consider the Sienna and then upgrade em with Carbontex washers.  Backing off the drag pressure between uses or during storage is good practice as well.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:39 PM »
I'm a fan of Shimano as well.  A mix of Sedonas, Siennas, Symetres and a couple of Stradics.  The Stradics are too pricey to lose down the hole so I never set em down when I fish with them.  If you're on a budget you might consider the Sienna and then upgrade em with Carbontex washers.  Backing off the drag pressure between uses or during storage is good practice as well.

Exactly what I do, carbontex washers and no drag when not in use and I have the same reels from 18 years ago with no maintenance. I switched to Carbontex after catching schoolie tuna they started getting to that 100 lb mark in numbers here like 15 years ago and then letting it sit and it would melt and lock lol

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:05 PM »
I bought a Sienna last year and I really did end up liking that reel quite a bit, Unfortunately I set down my rod on my chair while going to tend to a flag and I came back to see my rod swimming away with a pickerel!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:17 PM »
It sucks losing any setup down the hole but at least it wasn't a super pricey reel.  Its happened to me 3x over the years and Ive gotten it back twice. Once the little snot rocket Laker was still on it.  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.