Author Topic: Cold start good finish.  (Read 1798 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cold start good finish.
« on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:26 PM »
Arrived on area 51 around  730 or so. I was not in a hurry as it was -11 degrees when I got to the parking spot. Took my time loading gear then got dressed for battle in my car with heat full blast.  Met a guy at the launch who was putting out a shack. He was looking at me funny when I told him I dont use a shelter. I have done this a few times.  I was prepared.  I had scouted a new spot on the lake on my navionics and dropped a pin last night . I headed there immediately this morning.  Drilled 1st hole on pin and set a tip up . Walked out the the next ring on the map and set another tip up. Within 1 min the flag popped. I scored a nice WP and soon after the first trap i set went off. Another wp. Flags continued to pop. It was cold so I only set 2 traps. I started jigging and scored a few that way as well. Had a friend come out meet me we had wp all around us. Once the sun was high it warmed up nice. Beatiful day and easy walking.  I managed to land 11 wp and my friend got 3, he gifted them me. I think this morning was the coldest I have ever been out in . Action was great and made for a good day. Good to fish with like minded fisherman.  Made a nice tray of panko crusted so with lemon and butter. Good day. Thanks keith for the bonus fish.

Salmonemia

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cold start good finish.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:33 PM »
Sounds absolutely perfect!
The sun and limited breeze goes a long way when it's this cold. It definitely felt warmer than it was.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:41 PM »
Sounds absolutely perfect!
The sun and limited breeze goes a long way when it's this cold. It definitely felt warmer than it was.
Yes I was actually toasty took my jacket and mittens off and was fine. No wind is key.
Salmonemia

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:48 PM »
Way to go Wayne.  Glad you got out and made a day of it
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:03 PM »
Great post, great fish, great food. Congrats buddy!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:20 PM »
Nice job braving the cold, paid off!! Looks like a tasty meal.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2022, 12:40 AM »
Well done Wayne... way to make a plan and execute on it. Bonus that it worked out and you landed dinner.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:40 AM »
Nice job Wayne….congrats on all the whites…great looking dinner
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:41 AM »
Don't remember a colder start. Got to the bob house at 0545. Tried to light the stove and the reg was frozen. Took it off and back to the truck to thaw it out. Lost a half hour with that. Back out and got the stove lit. Ah, heat! Then it was time to drill holes, but by now the propane for the auger was cold and couldn't enough vapor to keep the auger running. (Wish I had thought to take the bottle in to keep warm too.) After fighting with it for what seem an hour, broke out the spud and punched holes the old fashion way. Got the cameras set up and started seeing Lakers. Pressure was high and they weren't real aggressive. Rolled a couple but couldn't get a hook set. They were just taking the tail end of the bait. (Very finicky)
     It did warm up and with no wind was able to shut off stove for much of the afternoon. Tried the auger for sht and grins, fired right up and ran fine :flex: Grass Guy spent the night and after the dump run will head back out. :clap: Tight lines and stay safe.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:47 AM »
Don't remember a colder start. Got to the bob house at 0545. Tried to light the stove and the reg was frozen. Took it off and back to the truck to thaw it out. Lost a half hour with that. Back out and got the stove lit. Ah, heat! Then it was time to drill holes, but by now the propane for the auger was cold and couldn't enough vapor to keep the auger running. (Wish I had thought to take the bottle in to keep warm too.) After fighting with it for what seem an hour, broke out the spud and punched holes the old fashion way. Got the cameras set up and started seeing Lakers. Pressure was high and they weren't real aggressive. Rolled a couple but couldn't get a hook set. They were just taking the tail end of the bait. (Very finicky)
     It did warm up and with no wind was able to shut off stove for much of the afternoon. Tried the auger for sht and grins, fired right up and ran fine :flex: Grass Guy spent the night and after the dump run will head back out. :clap: Tight lines and stay safe.
Go get ‘em Dragin!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:05 AM »
Awesome!

-11 is good for the ice, but hard on the fingers.   :tipup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:27 AM »
No doubt it was a cold one, minus  18 at 5:30.. heated helmet, grips and hand warmer made moving about with the wheeler tolerable, Izippo hand warmers helped with the set  up, hole covers kept freezing to a minimum.... the ion was frozen and wouldn't work, the pistol bit and milaukee saved the day..16 degrees  above when I left felt like I was in cabo st lucas..
At least the fish didn't spoil..
Kudos to those that persisted in these tough  conditions.
Nice haul Wane..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2022, 09:34 AM »
Felt colder for us around 830 or 9..a small wind kicked up and the flags were flying ..tough day on the hands ..I sm so sore from yesterday ..endless bass , crappie and yellows ..I want to go out on the big lake today but I just ate about 6 pancakes and 10 strips of bacon and I just want to lay on the couch ..can’t wait for some warmer weather for ice fishing
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2022, 10:49 AM »
Nice job

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2022, 11:41 AM »
Great day out man. Had a blast. Way to put the hammer down on em! Wish I could have gotten out for the early bite with you but family dictated otherwise.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2022, 02:32 PM »
Nice pile of whites, way to brave the elements and get results.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Way to make it happen Wayne. You used the tools available to you, did your homework and executed perfectly. Well done.
And Yea, it was cold as f**k at dawn yesterday but a little relief with no wind.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:52 PM »
Wayne, you are a white perch whisperer!  Nice job!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  I went back for more today.
I let a few go only kept 5 but they were quality.  Got a few on jigs. Chased flags most of the morning bite. 

Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:24 PM »
Well done buddy!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:26 PM »
Wayne, you are a white perch whisperer!  Nice job!
Thanks,  Roccus taught me a few things and got me into targeting them more. It's fun.
Salmonemia

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:26 AM »
Joe what happened to the ion. I ask so I can keep an eye on mine . Thanks

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:34 AM »
Joe what happened to the ion. I ask so I can keep an eye on mine . Thanks

18 below zero is all that was wrong with it... once sun warmed it up to maybe Zero it worked fine..the ( factory)gear grease got too thick.. I may take it apart  tonight and clean the gears and lube them with the same grease( sparingly) that I use for my tip ups, they didn't have any issues..
there was another guy not too far from me ( friend of mine) with a brand new ( just out of the box)  GenII  ION his was the same way... they came over and borrowed my pistol drill, they were going to warm it up but couldn't get their buddy heater to stay lit.. Just extreme weather... no fault of the equipment IMHO..

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Thanks,  Roccus taught me a few things and got me into targeting them more. It's fun.

you fish hard.. it makes a difference!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:49 AM »
you fish hard.. it makes a difference!
Thanks Joe, Likewise.  :tipup:
Glad my ion didn't do that. Mine was in car so it may have been warmer until i used it.
Salmonemia

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:10 AM »
Nice haul of whites way to get after them!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:38 AM »
Thanks Joe, Likewise.  :tipup:
Glad my ion didn't do that. Mine was in car so it may have been warmer until i used it.
Mine been in the back of my truck bed since Christmas,  but you know me, Ithere are no problems, only solutions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.