Author Topic: Crappie  (Read 2341 times)

Offline nhfishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
Crappie
« on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:54 PM »
Hi All - have never targeted crappie in general before as the plan for the day. Last two outings stumbled into a few - more by accident than a focused effort. Now I am heading out with crappie as the target for the day. So been trying to educate myself on the crappie plan of attack and looking for any pointers and advice in targeting these guys. Jigs, fluttering, plastics etc. Kinda cool at this point in my fishing career to go after a species I never fished hard water for. 

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:10 AM »
Concentrate your fishing at the low light times of the day or just fish at night for them, on those conditions crappie will be patrolling the edges of shallow flats.
During the day they will be on the basin of the lake and mostly suspended and lock jaw for the most part, if you can get a school fired up during the day time move quickly and don't let them rest, keep a bait down there at all times, that's when fishing with a partner can come handy, while one reeling in a fish the other is dropping down.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2022, 06:01 AM »
Crappie are fun to fish - esp. w/ a jig stick.  Most important things to know about crappie is that given a choice...they'll eat minnow profile baits, they look up + they have big eyes for seeing in low light conditions.

If you want to use tip-ups, pin shiners + small hooks set high are good for finding fish (even at night).  The bigger ones will eat a medium shiner, no problem.

For jigging, there's a few tricks.  They can be anywhere in the water column, but in general, they will be higher than sunfish or perch.  I've fished places where there would be layers of fish (crappie up high, sunfish a few feet off the bottom + perch down low).  So, a FF can be a big help.  Often, if you're jigging down low in a panfish spot...and a mark comes in high...that will be a crappie.  If no FF, if you have clear water...a cheap underwater camera is gold.  And if you don't have either, check maps, start high + work your way down the water column for crappie.

For colors, I'm partial to pinks + reds for crappie...just start somewhere.

If they are fired up, bigger soft plastics (up to 3"), small rattle baits, smaller chubby darters, small sebile vibrato, bigger spoons - stuff like that.  No bait.

If they are kinda aggressive, but not really fired up, then tip the lures above w/ bait or use scent.

If they aren't fired up at all, 2 lb mono & micro jigs (1/32 oz VMC tungsten mongo jig + small plastic).

If you have no idea where to start, start big + work your way down to smaller jigs.

Good luck!   :tipup:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2022, 06:41 AM »
Crappie are fun to fish - esp. w/ a jig stick.  Most important things to know about crappie is that given a choice...they'll eat minnow profile baits, they look up + they have big eyes for seeing in low light conditions.

If you want to use tip-ups, pin shiners + small hooks set high are good for finding fish (even at night).  The bigger ones will eat a medium shiner, no problem.

For jigging, there's a few tricks.  They can be anywhere in the water column, but in general, they will be higher than sunfish or perch.  I've fished places where there would be layers of fish (crappie up high, sunfish a few feet off the bottom + perch down low).  So, a FF can be a big help.  Often, if you're jigging down low in a panfish spot...and a mark comes in high...that will be a crappie.  If no FF, if you have clear water...a cheap underwater camera is gold.  And if you don't have either, check maps, start high + work your way down the water column for crappie.

If they are fired up, bigger soft plastics (up to 3"), small rattle baits, smaller chubby darters, small sebile vibrato, bigger spoons - stuff like that.  No bait.

If they are kinda aggressive, but not really fired up, then tip the lures above w/ bait or use scent.

If they aren't fired up at all, 2 lb mono & micro jigs (1/32 oz VMC tungsten mongo jig + small plastic).

If you have no idea where to start, start big + work your way down to smaller jigs.

Well done, this is word for word what I would of wrote. Spot on with everything
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2022, 06:55 AM »
Chase the 02. Early ice they are often still beside weed lines in the morning and may hold there all day if there is still green vegetation. The basin tip is money and I’d add that if you can find an inlet to the waterbody adjacent to a basin that area tends to be great fishing.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:17 AM »
Tough to add to what's already been said here, all solid advise.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:40 AM »
If you're marking them, resist the urge to drop the jig/spoon fast to them. Feed out line slowly, and usually they will start moving up towards your jig when its 10-15 ft away. when they start moving stop the jig. when tey get close, start pulling it away slightly. gets em every time.

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:57 AM »

I've caught exactly one crappie, by accident (targeting bass), in the summer. But damn, this weekend now I want to make an effort to find some through the ice. Easily, this is one of the most easy to follow and helpful advice posts I've read on this site.

Thanks man!
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Yea hard to add to all that. Good advice. I have caught them in 8 FOW as well as 40 FOW but In my experience my go to is 15-30 especially earlier on the day. For me it's always on the edge of a basin or drop. I've had luck with them  on the bottom very early, but I always start at about 4-6' off bottom and go up from there, especially when fishing shiners. I start small on bait, but the big 2 lbers have no problem hitting large 4" shiners when they're aggressive.
 X2 on the pink or reds when jigging.
Just get out there and try some of the above tactics. You may find different bodies of water they behave differently. my go to hammr crappie spot, they actually hold below the whites in the column, closer to the bottom.
Just be willing to be mobile. Good luck
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:16 AM »
Agreed Jason, different water bodies will have them behaving differently... All the above post have been spot on for deeper waters, my go to to get a pile for dinner averages around 6 foot with just a couple small 10 foot basins. In low light they will circle the basins hanging close to the edges and will dart out into the basin to grab food then get right back to the edges. Once the daylight is up rather than suspending in the basins like usual they scatter into the weeds and can't be found in either basin. They adapt to their surroundings and might not act normal, especially if dropped into a pond by a bucket bio where they typically wouldn't be found and don't have there typical habitat of depth to hide in.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:26 AM »
All great info -- when jigging, I also add spikes to my jigs...!

Offline nhfishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 10:42 AM »
All - thanks so much!  Great info and help here.  Appreciate it!  The place I am fishing and the spot I have been fishing that lead me to focus on crappie is exactly a narrow into a basin.  So it appears I by accident have found a good spot to start.  Heading out there there this weekend so will keep you all posted.  And again thanks for the help...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2022, 10:48 AM »
Excellent thread, Jon(jigmaster5)nailed it, I'll add this one tidbit, and I admit, I dont do it as often as I once did,, because  catching  is not as important as it once was.
When you have looky Lou's, but no takers, add a small ice fly 12 to 18" above your jig or spoon,many times this will trigger strikes when nothing else will, I believe its about competition. And the theft of a meal from a competitor, most times, the fish will. Be caught on the dropper fly.
 Of coarse, be aware of how many hooks you are using to remain within the law, this trick works on just about any species of fish, fresh or saltwater..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:01 AM »
You'll do at least 10 times better if you have some sort of fish finder. You should also always make sure that if you're using a horizontal jig, it stays horizontal. The knot position is key. If something bites it and changes the angle that the jig is sitting, you will get far fewer strikes.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:04 AM »
You'll do at least 10 times better if you have some sort of fish finder. You should also always make sure that if you're using a horizontal jig, it stays horizontal. The knot position is key. If something bites it and changes the angle that the jig is sitting, you will get far fewer strikes.

Knot position is huge, and no spin.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:36 AM »
I agree... I don't target them but know at some point I should as they can be fun to catch. My buddy does very well with them..I just haven't tried as I'm still cracking the laker code etc. However, totally agree that the comments and advice from this post is one of the best I've seen. Really good example of help and sportsmanship from the guys/girls on here to share such great tips and experience. Totally what this forum is best for and thank you to those who took their years of experience to post and share such great insight! Nice work and greatly helpful.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:55 AM »
All good info….I’ll add they taste good too!!!  No mater how ya cook them  :tipup:

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2022, 12:41 PM »
Those cakes look amazing!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:03 PM »
Awsome tips and pointers everyone is spot on you'll do great with all this info!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:08 PM »
All good info….I’ll add they taste good too!!!  No mater how ya cook them  :tipup:

Looks good! Crappie are probably my second-favorite fish to eat, after white perch.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:31 AM »
Green light, setup hour before sunset.  Jaw jackers with fatheads half way down.  Glow jigs a must.  I chase them a couple times a week.  Great to fish for, great eats.

Offline wabashaw_plumbing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:30 PM »
In my experience, the easiest way to catch crappie is when you’re low on shiners and trying to catch trout instead.
Keep ‘em wet

Offline nhfishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:49 PM »
So follow up - took the all the advice and guidance - hit the ice around 4:00pm. Set up the portable. Dropped the FF in and marked. Fished for 5.5 hours tonight had to have iced 30+ Crappie. Actually it was amazing. I am lucky and just recently moved on a lake - so was texting the house the updates and my daughter came out to check it out for herself - and she iced 10 of her own in an hour or so. Again thanks for the intel and help on targeting the crappie!!  Spot on advice!!!  Have to admit a little bit of a learning curve on the bite. I missed the first 4-6 fish.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:18 AM »
That’s great! Thanks for the follow up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:35 AM »
So follow up - took the all the advice and guidance - hit the ice around 4:00pm. Set up the portable. Dropped the FF in and marked. Fished for 5.5 hours tonight had to have iced 30+ Crappie. Actually it was amazing. I am lucky and just recently moved on a lake - so was texting the house the updates and my daughter came out to check it out for herself - and she iced 10 of her own in an hour or so. Again thanks for the intel and help on targeting the crappie!!  Spot on advice!!!  Have to admit a little bit of a learning curve on the bite. I missed the first 4-6 fish.
Thanks for the recap.. so many ask for advise and are never heard from again.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2022, 11:43 AM »

That’s awesome. Great report and this is exactly why I love this site.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Sconklin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2022, 01:41 PM »

Crappie are addicting to catch. I missed my first 4-6 Crappie last year because I was being too forceful when I hooked them

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2022, 02:34 PM »
That's great man, glad to hear you got into em.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2022, 12:44 AM »

Congrats on finding them.... sometimes the bite can be so light without the electronics (or missing bait) you wouldn't even know they were there.  Glad you got it dialed in and were able to land as many as you did.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:49 AM »
Nice work
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.