Author Topic: tub floor worn through  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
tub floor worn through
« on: Jan 13, 2022, 09:00 AM »
Picked up a Dave Genz fish trap last summer, and need to repair the floor. Bottom front of the tub is worn through where it's been dragged across parking lots, and rocks, and probably the ice too. Anyone do this, or is there a tub available that I can put the tent on. Tent is in good shape, don't need to replace that. I have a Clam Guide that I'm using this winter but want to down size with the fish trap, so this is a winter project for me. thx.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tub floor worn through
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:15 PM »
please post a pic of the house and the dimension of the sled. if what you have is what I think it is you might be able to use a sled from a scout but I won't know unless I can see a pic of the house and the sled. also include a pic of any of the writing on the tent this would help me to identify the house and what might work for you.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:50 PM »
I'm sure you could fiber glass it or umhw and rivets?  Where there's a will there's a way!

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:00 PM »
i did mine this year, one hole in the front corner  :%$#!:
i bought a plastic weld kit from harbor freight around12 bucks  ::)

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:07 PM »
theres a great thread and video on here i found on google  ;D
its like a solder iron, u can use some types of scrap plastic,old bucket
well see how it holds up  :whistle:

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Plastic welding kit from Harbor Freight - very easy to do.   Watch YouTube if your not sure how to do it.    Then install runners.   Happened with my Clam on very minimum road drag on a 2 year old hut - That's why I went to Otter
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:55 PM »
please post a pic of the house and the dimension of the sled. if what you have is what I think it is you might be able to use a sled from a scout but I won't know unless I can see a pic of the house and the sled. also include a pic of any of the writing on the tent this would help me to identify the house and what might work for you.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:58 PM »
this is how the bottom of the tub is worn, both sides are pretty much the same, someone on here mentioned welding using a 5 gallon bucket, I searched but had no luck finding anything. Could someone post a link to that  post? thanks.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:08 PM »
This is from member "Pike Fisherman" on how he did his.

Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:43 PM »
 Muggsy, Thanks for the vid, it was interesting to actually see him do the welding. I've heard of guys doing plastic welding but have never seen it done. I may give this a try. thanks again.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:56 PM »
ez pz
 did mie, but not sue how long it will last   ::)

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2022, 09:31 AM »
most plastic products are marked with what type of plastic they are, make sure your donor is the same material as the thing you are repairing.
I dont know what the markings are or how to interpret, but I have a body shop buddy who says if they are not the same material, it wont last long
Get bit!

Offline Scandog35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2022, 06:39 AM »
I fixed one a guy wore out.  Zip ties work as welding rods.  The  freight wlder has one major ptoblem.  The tip bends and breaks.  ex you are working the tip bends under the pressure of using to melt and form the plastic.  It bends back, but eventually breaks.  Still trying to find replacement tips.  It was cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for.  A heat gun also helps pre warm the plastic, just don't get crazy as it it easy to over heat the original tub and start warping it.  It was actually fun fixing deep gouges and holes, making then smooth again, until the tip snapped.  Good luck

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2022, 06:44 AM »

Scandog35,
The video that Muggsy posted showed the guy using his harbor freight welder without a tip, it seemed to work ok.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2022, 04:19 PM »
I think a sled from a scout model would be the replacement sled that might work. other options would be to find a piece of wide hyfax and make runners and put that over the crack and then caulk or weld it shut first. the runners that clam makes I don't think would be wide enough to cover that area completely.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2022, 08:12 PM »
I plastic welded big holes in my frabill ice shuttles with the hf welder.i never plastic welded anything before and the welds are holding great.i patched the holes then slapped skis underneath  them.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2022, 06:36 AM »
I plastic welded big holes in my frabill ice shuttles with the hf welder.i never plastic welded anything before and the welds are holding great.i patched the holes then slapped skis underneath  them.
I think that's the route I'm going to take. I've got a couple pair of ski's that I junk picked that will be good for that tub. Thanks again for all the replies, I've learned something about plastic welding, so that's good. Later.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:01 AM »
Plastic welding is easy... Picked up my eskimo eskape 300 for 125$ because it had a cracked sled.... The harbor freight welder comes with metal screen to use to strengthen the weld.... USE IT it helps a ton
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Plastic welding is easy... Picked up my eskimo eskape 300 for 125$ because it had a cracked sled.... The harbor freight welder comes with metal screen to use to strengthen the weld.... USE IT it helps a ton

Are the instructions pretty clear with the HF kit ? The video was pretty clear but how does one apply the screen . .. Just incorporate it with the regular weld/build up process ? Got a JS1 that needs some TLC.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2022, 10:04 AM »
I heated up the area i was going to weld without any extra plastic and melt the screen in place then add new plastic over it
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2022, 11:53 AM »
I heated up the area i was going to weld without any extra plastic and melt the screen in place then add new plastic over it

Thanks ..gonna skip on down to HF and then give my JS1 some TLC ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:41 PM »
I bought one today

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07:21 AM »
I have a similar looking sled - keeps cracking right at the front two molded "runners" where it hits uneven ice... must have plastic welded it 3 or 4 times now haha.  Wish it would just hold and stop cracking!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2022, 09:33 AM »
I have a similar looking sled - keeps cracking right at the front two molded "runners" where it hits uneven ice... must have plastic welded it 3 or 4 times now haha.  Wish it would just hold and stop cracking!
saw a video where a guy melted the plastic on either side of where the crack was, and put metal rings into the hot plastic acrosss the cracks. Looked like it would hold it together a little better than the plastic.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2022, 03:16 PM »
well,took my shelter out this weekend and saw snow inside after towing   ::)
looks like it cracked on the front next to my patch  :o
have to take a better look  :whistle:
may try drilling small hole at the ends of the crack and reweld  ;D

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2023, 09:08 AM »
I didn't get out with the flip over at all last winter. I went 1 time with a buddy in his 2man, and left mine home. Ice was terrible on Saginaw Bay last year, only good for about 3 weeks. Maybe this year.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2024, 04:47 PM »
My jet sled wore through after many years of service. I went to local thrift store and picked up a set of downhill skis. Cut them to length and deck screwed then to 2x4 set on edge. Used deck screws and fender washers to screw jet sled to the 2x4s. Worked great for 3 years now. Less than 10 bucks. Closer to 7.  Steve

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2024, 04:51 PM »
My jet sled wore through after many years of service. I went to local thrift store and picked up a set of downhill skis. Cut them to length and deck screwed then to 2x4 set on edge. Used deck screws and fender washers to screw jet sled to the 2x4s. Worked great for 3 years now. Less than 10 bucks. Closer to 7.  Steve

awesome suggestion.  sounds better than the runners I was thinking of installing... maybe a bit heavier than the plastic runner kit though.  would love to see a pic.

downside I foresee is with a flip hut style shelter it won't flip over enough to hit the ground if I elevate it as much as 2x4

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2024, 08:24 AM »
Theres lots of ideas on youtube, smitty sled, remove it from skis or there hardware that lifts up and down.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2024, 10:35 AM »
Great read ...quick take aways ...down hill skis ...15 foot rope tied to the tips of the skis ..weight to the rear

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.