Author Topic: Permanent shack setup  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Permanent shack setup
« on: Dec 29, 2021, 07:28 PM »
So to start off this might be a dumb question but I'm in the process of building an 8x14 permanent shack. The lake its going on there is never anything this big. Very few permanent shacks get set out. Maybe 4 or 5 on the lake. So question is how do I keep it from freezing into the ice? Do I use some sacrificial boards and block it up 6 inches? What's my best option?
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Permanent shack setup
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2021, 07:28 AM »
I start out with 2-6" blocks under each skid, as the season goes by I usually end up putting another small block on top of the original. Water will flow out of the holes at times because of the weight of the shack, causing the ice to build up under the shack, stay on top of that so water never gets to the level of your skids.  I am always able to retrieve the blocks, as in the spring the sun will melt the ice around the block, a bump with a sledge hammer will get them out when the timing is right.

I would suggest while you are building the shack to incorporate a removable drop down jack for each corner, just to be used when jacking the shack up.  I have done this with both of my shacks, it is very convenient and safer than a handyman jack.  I cut off part of the handle of the jack and weld a big nut to the shaft, then use my cordless drill to turn the jack, very fast, can have the shack blocked up in 5 minutes with little effort.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2021, 10:31 PM »
Unless you are dead set on staying in the exact same location every time, and or don't have a 4wheeler to pull it around with, would it be too much trouble to pull it up on shore after each use?

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2021, 05:42 AM »
Unless you are dead set on staying in the exact same location every time, and or don't have a 4wheeler to pull it around with, would it be too much trouble to pull it up on shore after each use?

If you are in an area that does not get much snow depth that might be an option, but once there is deep snow on a lake there is no pulling a heavy shack unless you plow a road out to it.  My shacks won't be moved again until spring when the snow melts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.