Canada > Ice Fishing Saskatchewan

Anyone ever targeted sturgeon through the ice?

<< < (2/3) > >>

ran7ger:
 thanks for that toon, i stand corrected.

none the less, if you were to get one through the ice i think it would be wise to stop in and buy a 6/49 on your way home.

Baetis62:
Ive caught a number of them open water and through the ice while fishing for eyes and even pans.  I grew up on Lake Poygan in Wisconsin where they have a legal spearing season through the ice by draw.  Its a handful for sure but after a couple its kind of a hassle...they tend to destroy the lighter weight rigs. 

DoubleHookSet:
There used to be a really interesting documentary on Amazon prime called The Frozen Chosen. Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin has a legal sturgeon season. It's only lasts 16 days on the ice and you have to sight fish and spear them for it to be legal. I recommend checking it out if you can find it.

ToonFisher:
I read that they are mounting a comeback, especially in North Saskatchewan River. The only ones I saw were in the little aquarium in the Geology Atrium in the university.

Baetis62:

--- Quote from: DoubleHookSet on Nov 24, 2021, 07:05 PM ---There used to be a really interesting documentary on Amazon prime called The Frozen Chosen. Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin has a legal sturgeon season. It's only lasts 16 days on the ice and you have to sight fish and spear them for it to be legal. I recommend checking it out if you can find it.

--- End quote ---

That's a pretty accurate documentary.  Poygan is an upriver lake in the Winnebago "chain" and spearing is the "event" on the ice and at the weigh stations and taverns around the area during the season.  There used to be a radio broadcast with Polka Music (Jerry Schneider I believe) featuring updates and interviews from people around the lakes.  Its a wonderful cultural event.   Water clarity is a significant factor in the success rate.  Spear fishers hang "decoys" of all shapes and sizes down the hole...primarily to guage the size of anything swimming by. There's even been a bit of drama the last few years...they busted a black market caviar ring.  Caviar was being purchased in WI and sent to fancy eateries in Chicago...allegedly. ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version