Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips

ice shack?

(1/2) > >>

red eyes:
I was wondering if u could use one of those fold out campers as an ice shack?just put holes in the bottom. its already has the wheels 4 moving it. they have sleeping bunks already in it. and  a stove.

Hard_H2O:
Why not? I have seen lots of things converted to ice fishing shacks.

The keys are ease of getting it on the ice, room to fish, comfort, cost, heat, safety, ease of getting it off the ice.

Prioritize these any way you want and rate your options.

A pop-up camper should be easy to move on and off the ice. Used ones are relatively cheap. They should prove to be comfortable. They are probably already setup for lighting. Depending on the unit I would think you would have room to fish. You may just need to think about heating it.

Bob_D:
Some folks here in VT use the old style campers like that. They gut them, put in bunks,stove, etc.. They use "damaged" paneling for the inside walls and put rubber roofs on them. They will last a long time.

If I did not have all of the spare lumber, I probably would have done that instead.

red eyes:
thanks for the input guys. ill think about getting a used one.depends on how much ice we get here in MA. Ill take out some heavy things so the camper will be lighter.

HARDWATER:
I've have been thinking of making something similar to this, but my idea involves a flatbed trailer that is 6' x 8' or so and then build your ice shack on it. The back door either swings open or folds down, then you drive your 4 wheeler into it. When you get to the lake unload your 4 wheeler and hook the trailer up to the bike and off you go onto the ice.
Some other added feature would be fold down bunks, tables seat etc, to keep the wind from blowing up the holes in the bottom off the house you can buy 10-12" diameter pvc pipe and slide that down through the floor and over your hole. Just an idea I've been kicking around. Tell me what yopu think.

Maybe I've got to much time on my hands!?

Steve    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version