Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips

No-stick shack

(1/3) > >>

jvmate:
Any sugestions for a floor that won't hard freez into the ice. I am in da UP and our weather is flaky as all heck. A common thing to happen is a thaw and then a hard freeze the next day. This results in the floor sinking into the ice and then frezzing over. Very hard to remove a frozen in shack in the spring. Ya know what I mean?

Any tried and true plans to avoid this?

mnfisherguy1983:
set the shack up on some 4x4 beams, so then only the beams sink into the ice

wisconsinboy:
we use 2x4's in each of the corners of our shack and then just chisel them out at the end of the year.

ctimfish:
Don't know how big your shack is but this works on mine(4'x6').  I set the shack on 8-10 foot 2x6s under the short sides and keep a bucket of 12" 2x4s inside to place under the ends of the 2x6s as needed.  I also screwed 8 foot 1x4 30"s up on the long sides to lift corners making it relatively easy to lever the shack and block it up. If (more like when) the 2x6 freezes in, I just block the corners on using the 2x6s as base. Many use the blocks on the lake I fish.  Since I live on the lake I usually gather all the blocks that many leave imbedded in the ice.  I haven't had to cut a block in 9 years!  I'm in NW lower MI and our ice is always topped with slush and snow.  Good luck.

jvmate:
DNR or anyone else say anything about leaving the frozen in blocks there for spring thaw?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version