Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips

ice hut suggestions

<< < (2/3) > >>

wkules:
Tom,
I really like my Viking. It is very comfortable for two "full size" fisherman and heats quite well with a Coleman 1 burner propane stove. It sets up quickly, 2-3 minutes, and can be moved without taking it down. I would suggest an "anchor" for those really wind days however as the hut will blow away if left empty to run for your tipups (did I say "if" I am sorry, I meant WHEN!) I simply tied a 3' length of rope to the rear hinge and tied a 2" length of dowel (broom handle works great) to the other end. Drill a hole in the ice behind the shanty and put the dowel under the ice across the hole. I'm quite sure this trick would work for any shanty out there. Good luck in your quest.
  :'(Keep 'em flying   ;)

Russellman:
Wkules,
Wow, you really do like that Viking (just joshing).
I too have a Viking which is wicked roomy & not too heavy.  But, I have one question - do the folding metal runners on yours collapse at inopportune moments while pulling it along ?  I've tried bungies to hold it out, but it still can give me some grief in deeper snow.
Other than that, I really like it & wouldn't change it.

GOS:
Bought the "Fish Trap Voyager", about 3 weeks ago.  Big enough for 3 people, and all the gear you will "think" you have to have along.  81#'s dry, and it's pretty tough to get into the back of a full size p/u, by myself.  Ice anchors are a "must have".  They are available through The Clam, or Shappell people.  Gregory

The_King:
I fish on a lake ( high point ) that is always windy. I have a fish trap II. Any suggestions for anchoring?

Thanks in advance!

bosco:
Tom

I live in N.D. and it's true the wind blows every day... So , to anchor your portable on those days just mount 2 eye bolts in opposite corners , cut a cpl peices of rebar , 12 to 18 inches long , grab thee trusty ol' cordless drill & your father-in-laws longest drill bit ( the one that is the same , or larger than yer rebar ) ,  drill your holes at a little bit of an angle to your set up , tie off your sled to the rebar & there ya go a no blow set up !!!!!!      Good luck ,  Bosco ;

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version