Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Eelpout

Cleaning burbot

<< < (2/2)

esox_xtm:
Can't speak for burbot livers but a few years back the fam forced me into a "non-fishing" vacation. Dad, we wanna stay in motels, swim in the pools, play miniature golf, blah, blah, blah. I said fine, I get to pick where the road trip takes us. We circumnavigated Michigan's UP. Had a boat load of fun. I never even took a rod along.

OK, to the point, every place we stopped for dinner had the same entree' on the menu, whitefish livers and onions. Hmmmm. I happen to like liver. A lot. But fish livers? Meh. Finally, after about the fifth day up on Lake Superior I caved. I am a culinary adventurer and will try most anything so I figured why not? What's the worst they can be? It was a very pleasant surprise. Perfectly fried (like NOT to shoe leather) and seasoned with a pile of traditional caramelized onions. Not as soft as chicken livers, which are not my favorite, not tough, not fishy tasting at all, really nothing negative I can say about them. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I say: Go for it! Gonna take a bunch of burbot to make a meal but what the hey. If you like liver my bet is you'll like these. Bet most of your friends will chip in their catch. Liver, after all, is an acquired taste. Salt, pepper, dredge 'em flour and fry 'em in bacon grease if you got it. Mmmmm!

fishall30:
Thanks Matt great video.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version