Canada > Ice Fishing Ontario

Petrie Island - Walleye bite

(1/1)

Seaweed:
Well I am pleased to report that the Petrie Island walleye bite is better this year and seems to be improving every year since they stopped dredging sand from the big bay on the Ottawa River.

Size seem to be mixed.  A lot of one to two pound fish and many smaller sauger have been caught but also some nice six pound fish have come up through the ice.

Conditions improved greatly after the cold spell we had last week and vehicles are now cruising around on the over a foot of ice.  Huts are now out on all bays and fish are being caught everywhere.

Good minnows and fish licenses can be had at the Bait Shop on Trim Rd as you enter Petrie Island. 

The only downside is that this morning when I went down there was a lot of garbage thrown about by a few people.  I collected what I could and put it in the can that was about fifty feet away from where the garbage was tossed.  Lets keep this place clean people or they will clamp down hard on us and start ticketing cars not parked in the lots provided for us but a long distance from where we fish.  So far they are letting us park on the road but I am sure if they have to hire someone to clean the site they will pay for the person with tickets left on our cars. 

There is no clean-up fairy that follows after us.... SO DON'T LITTER!   >:(

Further info about Petrie can be found at :

http://www.angelfire.com/on4/petrieisland/

joco:
HI SEAWEED

it was nice to meeth you yesterday.......the walleye bite was not great for me,,,,,,,,but like you said,,there seems to have a bit more then other time i went there last years and year before,,,in walleye bay....

i saw some left over tim cup all over the place........ :(.people pick up your stuff.... >:(

joco.

tip-uptwo:
Hey Seaweed..

Jig head got into some really nice fish on Bait Shop Bay a few nights back. If I can recall a 5,3 and a half, and abunch of dinks fell prey to his forage minnow! Nice to see the action at Petrie is picking up, with this new apartment complex, marina, cafe and bait shop, things are going to get busy......I can just imagine what the place is going to look like in the near future.....

-Andrew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version