Author Topic: locating smelt?  (Read 5604 times)

Offline swamp puppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
locating smelt?
« on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:32 PM »
does anybody have any tips for locating smelt without a flasher? what type pf bottom structure or structure to fish and how to find them in the water column? i have caught them before but always while perch jigging and i would like to go out and target them specifically.

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: locating smelt?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:49 PM »
It will be hard without a flasher. Best place to go is where everyone else is. This is because the lights everyone is using will attract food for the smelt. Ask someone where they are marking the smelt or start at the bottom and work your way up till you find them. Depending on what lake your on you may be able to look down the hole and see them. Remember the more light there is the more the smelt will be attracted. Hope this help.

Offline ScreaminReels

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:36 PM »
One of my favrotive places to jig for Smelt has a huge dead fall Birch tree that was right on the shore before falling in the lake. The water goes from 2-10 ft. It's right next to a small brook that feeds into the lake. I think between the brook and the cover from the tree it's prime spot for Smelt. In this same cove I've caught Lakers, Rainbows and Salmon. My father caught all three on the same day. Once while jigging up Smelt I landed a nice Salmon, we were pounding the Smelt and I hook up on the Salmon.  Must have been feeding on the Smelt.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2015, 12:47 PM »
Yeap, follow the smelt crowd.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:46 PM »
We put lines down to different depths and once we start catching them  we ajust our lines. We put one just off the bottom   ,one just under the ice a few feet and then 3 or 4  in between
hook and cook

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.