Idaho > Ice Fishing Idaho

After your catch.. Fish recipes

<< < (3/7) > >>

SlaptheFish:
Had my eye on these recipes for a bit now.  Can't wait to try all of them here soon.

Thanks

Bigggcountry:
Perch Butter

1 can sweetened condensed milk   
1/2 cup vinegar   
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper   
1 tsp paprika (smoked)
2 cups Miracle Whip Salad Dressing

I make this spread when making perch sandwiches. Make sure you toast the buns. Cook the perch fillets however you like. I prefer to deep fry em.  Even my picky kids love it.

FG Steve:
Basic Fried Trout

One of my very favorite foods since I can remember.  In my effort to do the best job possible it appears that I have overdone it with the pictures.  I hope that's OK.

Rules

1. No guts make it home.  Clean fish and put on ice ASAP.  Easy in the Winter!  Entrails are good for the ecosystem.  Just don't clean 'em in shallow water or by the boat dock (unsightly).
2. No heads or tails make it to the pan.
3. No bones make it to the pan or the table (that includes pin bones come on don't be lazy).

Recipe

Boneless Trout Fillets, fresh or completely thawed, skin on
Iodized Table Salt
Lawry's Lemon Pepper
Yellow Corn Meal
Hard White Whole Wheat Flour
Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon

Before cooking the fish, get the rest of the meal ready to eat and the table set, so that the fish can be eaten hot.

1. Prepare a heat-resistant plate with two paper towels on it.  Set aside with a third paper towel.
2. Slice the lemon into wedges.
3. Salt and pepper the fillets to taste.

4. Mix equal parts flour and corn meal.  If unsure how much to use, 1/4c of each should be plenty.
5. Dredge the fillets in the corn meal / flour mix until well coated.

6. Preheat oil in a non-stick pan at medium-high heat.  If using an electric griddle, set to 400 deg F.  Preheat until the oil just begins to smoke.
7. Cook fillets skin side up until the skin starts to bubble and/or the flesh is lightly browned.

8. Turn fillets skin side down and cook until the skin browns.

9. Turn fillets skin side up and cook to brown the flesh side just a little more.  This will freshen and seal the crispiness of the flesh side.

Perform the following steps promptly:

10. Remove each fillet and place it skin side down on the prepared plate. 
11. As each fillet is removed, use the third paper towel to quickly blot the flesh side, to remove any extra oil or juices.

12. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.  Fish will stay at optimal crispiness for a few minutes.

Notes

Fish is cooked when the flesh is opaque.  This method can somewhat overcook the fish, but leaving the skin attached helps retain moisture.  I love crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.

While the skin and darker flesh are both edible, most of us peel off the skin and use a fork to scrape away the darker flesh on the back side, just before eating.

Zolar:
Fish Tacos with this sauce.  http://soupaddict.com/2009/06/wickedly-good-fish-taco-sauce/

donnie2guns:
Boiled some perch fillets in salted water until they started to flake. Dipped in garlic butter and also sriracha sauce. Very good! Quick, simple, poor mans lobster! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version