Author Topic: Made it out for a little while today  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Made it out for a little while today
« on: Nov 13, 2010, 03:15 PM »
The title says it all.
Got out on the hard water for a couple of hours this afternoon.       
I wasn't able to get to where I wanted to be unfortunately.
I was trying to get to a 10' to 20' break but ran into some ice that was only an inch thick between me and my spot.   :'(
I ended up fishing a big flat about 7 or 8 feet deep and had 2 or 3 looks but no takers.
Ice was about 3 to 3 1/2 inches clear black.

Winter is supposed to get here with a vengence next week with lows to about -20 and highs to -15.  

Here's a few shots from todays outing.   ;)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Made it out for a little while today
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Good on ya bud for getting out. Next time you should be able to make it out to your spot.
Look forward to your future pics.

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Keep those pictures comin  and updates also.

Always interesting to read your posts.

Offline esox1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:05 AM »
man i wish i lived up there!! :tipup:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:32 PM »
man i wish i lived up there!! :tipup:

You can.....just be prepared to buy a house for 500,000.00 $ or rent for 1,500$ a month (If you can find a place). But at least the wages there are fairly high. Anything is possible except the impossible just takes lots of money ;D

Fishing is awesome for sure.

Offline Imported

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:56 AM »
Well seeing as how the ferry across the Mackenzie river unexpectedly went out last week and Yellowknife had a temporary gas shortage, I walked/ ran around town all of last week to make sure I had enough gas to go out fishing on Saturday. We had decent day, a bunch of pike, probably the biggest around 5 lb and one small walleye. The ice ranged between 10-12 inches where we were fishing so next time out we'll take the sleds. We got out around 10:30 and left around 3:30 but the fish didn't really start biting until probably noon and the walleye came closer to 3.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Well seeing as how the ferry across the Mackenzie river unexpectedly went out last week and Yellowknife had a temporary gas shortage, I walked/ ran around town all of last week to make sure I had enough gas to go out fishing on Saturday. We had decent day, a bunch of pike, probably the biggest around 5 lb and one small walleye. The ice ranged between 10-12 inches where we were fishing so next time out we'll take the sleds. We got out around 10:30 and left around 3:30 but the fish didn't really start biting until probably noon and the walleye came closer to 3.

What! You didn't want to spend $2 a liter for flown in gas?   :whistle:
I was out yesterday with less spectacular results.
We also had 12"+ of ice where we were fishing so the sled hits the trail next week.   :clap: :clap: 
Good thing too 'cause I don't know if I could handle dragging a 100# sled around by hand anymore.   ;D
We had one really nice pike on a tipup but I hit him too early (was going to release anyway and didn't want to gill hook him).

PS I knew of the impending gas shortage and had enough for fishing stored at the house.   :whistle:

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Hey Drifter, with the high winds and cold temps, what tip ups do you use? There is a company that I think you should check out. Indian Hill Ice traps. They are amazing tip ups. Never get a wind flag, and each one is hand made. I have a set of them and I have almost gotten rid of all of the others that I have owned. Give them a try...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Hey Drifter, with the high winds and cold temps, what tip ups do you use? There is a company that I think you should check out. Indian Hill Ice traps. They are amazing tip ups. Never get a wind flag, and each one is hand made. I have a set of them and I have almost gotten rid of all of the others that I have owned. Give them a try...

We are only allowed 2 lines so I have one tipup and I jig with the other line.

My favorite tipup is a BPS Extreme Ice Classic Tip-up.
Only $20 and no wind flags so far.   ;D

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-Ice-Classic-TipUp/product/10203326/-1522879

I've never had any of the mo fancy ones because tip-up fishing is secondary to me.
I would much rather get 'em on a jig.   ;)2

Offline Imported

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:40 PM »
I agree, I would rather catch them on a rod, and it seems like a little bit of controlled movement with a rod often helps the bite. We have started to use mainly rods with rod holders and then go around from hole to hole and jig each rod for a bit (between warming up by the fire/in the tent and trying to keep our beers thawed). On a side note, has anyone ever visited any of the nearby (Yellowknife) lakes that were stocked with char around 1990?? I would really like to take a shot at them this winter if anyone could give me a headstart I would appreciate it very much

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:28 PM »
I don't know if there are any left or not. They haven't done any stocking in quite some time.
If you find some let me know will ya?   ;D
I know there is one near Hidden Lk.   :whistle:

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Tipups??? All we ever used was red willow branches and line wrapped around the end. Had a piece of flagging tape tied on it so we could see it go down the hole!! That was one line, the other was an ice rod. Had a few of those go down the hole too! Tipups!!!...dang whippersnappers!!!!!!! :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.