Canada > Ice Fishing North West Territories

Finally made it out. :)

(1/3) > >>

Drifter_016:
After a warm early winter followed by two months of liquid nitrogen like temps it finally warmed up and I made it out for the first time this winter.    ::)
I loaded up the sled to head to my favorite little laker lake but missed my turn off. >:(
I ended up riding for a while because the trail I found myself on was just too much fun plus I need to get myself into shape for the big trip in March. I ended up putting about 110 KMs on the sled today with a lot of the riding on tight and twisty trails like this.

I eventually made my way back to the big lake and decided I would run out to some islands and see if I could find some whitefish. The wind had picked up so I took shelter behind one of the islands and checked depth through the ice with my trusty LX-5. First spot 20', nah lets look a little deeper  ;) second spot 30' and I'm marking fish through the ice.  :unsure:
I start up the auger (after changing the plug because I went and flooded it    :pinch:) and drill through 3 1/2 feet of clear black ice. Dropped the transducer in the hole and start marking fish, a good sign.   :thumbsup:
Start my jigging with a 3" hammered 1/2 & 1/2 williams, got a lot of looks but no takers. So I switched to a different rod with a Badd Boyz jig and crappie tube, as soon as I dropped it down the hole fish started swarming it but wouldn't commit.   ???
I eventually tried thumping bottom with it and then slowly raised it about a foot off bottom had a follow and as I moved it up a little bit more the fish drilled it!!!!    :clap: :clap: After 4 or 5 min I get the fish close. I had visions of a sweet 24" whitefish but it wasn't to be. Ended up being a pike about 24". Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.   ;D

Dirtofak:
Dave,
Nice snotrocket!!! Pretty country too!
Mike

TGF:
You big tease.....teased that fish into biting, didn't you ;D
Looks like you got more snow than us right now.
Congrats on getting out.
Nice pike to ward off the dreaded skunk ;)

Drifter_016:

--- Quote from: TGF on Jan 18, 2010, 02:40 AM ---You big tease.....teased that fish into biting, didn't you ;D
Looks like you got more snow than us right now.
Congrats on getting out.
Nice pike to ward off the dreaded skunk ;)

--- End quote ---

More ice too!!!!!   ;D

I did have lots of interest but they just were'nt hitting. 
I only ended up fishing for about 1 1/2 hours because of all the sledding too.   :whistle:

fishingypsie:
how much ice do you guys usally get?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version