The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Is catch and release legal after I caught my limit?  (Read 8748 times)

Offline dalhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
Is catch and release legal after I caught my limit?
« on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:29 AM »
My buddy says I have t stop fishing after I catch my limit, I say I can keep fishing but just cant keep anymore! who is right?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Is catch and release legal after I caught my limit?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:36 AM »
As long as you target a different species after you've reached your limit on the first one you can still fish

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:50 AM »
If you are releasing the fish that you have your limit on and not giving them to someone else then I don't see you breaking any laws. I would still either call the DNR or send them an email and ask them this question to be safe. I don't think telling a CO "Well someone on the internet said it was legal" will get you out of a ticket if doing something illegal.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:07 AM »
Wouldn't be doing it they will ticket you,stop one short and release.

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:11 AM »
DNR officer told me that as long as the fish are going back alive you are in no violation. You can keep the first whatever the limit is you catch and fish the rest of the day without issue. We asked about walleye fishing in particular, but it pertains to any species.

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:31 AM »
what tazdevil300 said ^^^
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:07 AM »
No No NO, this is why you should ask a DNR officer.  I asked about Lake trout since East/West bay have a slot limit and limit of three fish.  If you have caught your limit, you allowed to continue fishing....as long as you aren't specifically "targeting that fish".

So for example, if I catch my three keeper lake trout, then I can continue fishing my hole for white fish, bourbot or perch....if I catch a lake trout then you have to simply take the hook out of it's mouth and watch it swim back down the hole. 

You are NOT allowed to put a previously caught fish, back down the hole simply because one you caught later in the day was "better". 
Flag up!

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:25 AM »
just bring your kids and have them carry the extra fish of the ice ;D ;D ;D
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:27 AM »
What Taz said. If you ask 10 DNR, you will probably get 10 different answers.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:56 AM »
its called "culling" when you return one for a better one, alive.
it is up to the CO if you have a fish in your possession or not. hooking one and releasing it immediately is not considered in your possession.
if you "target" fish you are not supposed to catch, then you are in violation. so if the man asks you questions like what are you fishing, you better not say bass right now for example.
so if you have 25 pans and keep fishing you would have to be able to say you are fishing for some other than pans. if you are with some one else, you can say the 25 fish on the ice are both of yours and both keep fishing. 25 pans per license and 3 days keep in your possession (freezer/fridge/cleaning/bagged) maximum or any species. being bass is out, not sure what you could say you are fishing for if fishing alone. its 25 pans per day limit. i read its 500$ for first fish over the limit and 50$ per fish after. just thought of one, say "carp" is your target.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2015, 10:00 AM »
when I catch my limit early.i still fish all day and release all others.i can fish for panfish all day but can only keep 25.ive met dnr officers with my limit on the boat at miner lake and they watched me throw back many other bluegills without a question.

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I got 25 pans I'm fishing for perch now........
I got 50 perch time to go!!
I got 5 eyes (I don't have that problem!)
I got 3 steel I'm trying for browns
I got 5 salmon I'm trying for lakers and steel
And so on....
I don't fish for bass....

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:27 AM »
My buddy says I have t stop fishing after I catch my limit, I say I can keep fishing but just cant keep anymore! who is right?

Guys can put all the frosting on this they want, but it still is not a cake. You can and will get a ticket much of the time if you "Attempt" to take additional target fish after your limit is retained. Good luck trying the "I am now trying for Browns and Lakers" routine. Just be an honest sportsman that exercises proper judgement. Why even risk a ticket or incident that makes us all look bad?

If you want to continue fishing, be a good sportsman, do not keep the last fish of your limit till your ready to leave for home. So easy a Caveman could do it. And legal.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Guys can put all the frosting on this they want, but it still is not a cake. You can and will get a ticket much of the time if you "Attempt" to take additional target fish after your limit is retained. Good luck trying the "I am now trying for Browns and Lakers" routine. Just be an honest sportsman that exercises proper judgement. Why even risk a ticket or incident that makes us all look bad?

If you want to continue fishing, be a good sportsman, do not keep the last fish of your limit till your ready to leave for home. So easy a Caveman could do it. And legal.

I 100% disagree with you. Because this example is very good for winter and specifically the fish we are discussing...as "Joe in TC" can relate.  When we fish in east or west bay in the winter time, I use one particular lure type for Lake trout, Whitefish, Cisco, and if I am lucky Bourbot.  So if I limit out on lake trout, than you just unhook them and throw them back in the water.  The same goes for summer time, if you are limited out on a species and want to "Target" another then that is allowed.  As I said, we asked the DNR on this, and yes they are known for their goofy answers...but I abide by the rules.  And if I limit out on lake trout...then I am totally in my rights to continue fishing for white fish or cisco. You just aren't allowed to "Cull".

So if a DNR officer wants to give me a ticket for fishing legally, I will gladly take it to the local District Court. And thats all coming from myself, a guy who works in law enforcement
Flag up!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Wouldn't be doing it they will ticket you,stop one short and release.
                     X2

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2015, 05:38 PM »
I think zmantc54 is right on point.

I have had three Lakers on the ice more than once and kept fishing and ended up taking a Burbot or Whitefish home with the lake trout.

In the summer trolling if I  pick up three Lakers and continue fishing, I can end up with a salmon or brown to go along with them.

RL Wagner, I think the guy was just asking a question, making judgments on sportsmanship, honesty and intellect may be a bit harsh.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2015, 05:48 PM »
its tempting fate? conservation officers here say if you have your limit and keep fishin and target another species and incidently catch a gut hooked fish you already have a limit of, he said ill fine you?why take the chance.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Myself and 2 friends had our limit of walleyes on the ice at the Bay of Quinte and we were told by the dnr to reel up.  When we asked if we could give a fish to another nearby angler we were told we would have to give away 3 fish if we all wanted to continue fishing.  Catch and release was not allowed, nor was a combined limit.  When perch fishing I normally stay one shy until it's time to leave.

Offline 19rabbit52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:10 PM »
If a DNR officer "thinks" you are still targeting a species after you have you limit he can (and usually will) ticket you. Oh, the judge will always side with the DNR.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:21 PM »

Spot on. Why are some people so greedy about getting a limit. Who cares if you let the one go before your limit and never get one to replace it. Lots of times I catch a 100 panfish a day and only bring home enough for a meal, and sometimes none. Why does a limit mean everything to so many people? Why do you need to go around tooting your own horn how great you did. Personally I believe most of these greedy people are new- Be's or inexperienced anglers.

Offline wyatt_8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:56 PM »
For what it's worth this same question came up on another forum a few weeks ago with the same back and forth.  The general response was that that actual rule in Michigan was ambiguous, so one guy emailed the DNR and got a response, and then posted it.  The response read:

"Thank you for your question.  It is legal to fish catch and release fishing once your daily possession limit has been filled.  However, you need to immediately release the fish above your possession limit or you could be ticketed."

If you search "Limit and done..or limit and fun" on MS you can find the post, it includes a screen shot of the email. 

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:16 PM »

Spot on. Why are some people so greedy about getting a limit. Who cares if you let the one go before your limit and never get one to replace it. Lots of times I catch a 100 panfish a day and only bring home enough for a meal, and sometimes none. Why does a limit mean everything to so many people? Why do you need to go around tooting your own horn how great you did. Personally I believe most of these greedy people are new- Be's or inexperienced anglers.

Sir, it's not about tooting your own horn or being selfish.  You make the answer sound simple when you are referring to most pan fish when you keep dozens.  The issue is when you can only keep 3 or 5 fish...You can literally do that in 5 minutes or an hour.  The point is you don't have to stop fishing after 5 minutes of fishing because you "limited out on a specific species." 

I also take your point of fishermen being greedy very personally....hunting and fishing at it's roots is to support eating habits and manage population.  I don't myself, but am aware of families that count on a significant amount of their food to come from hunting or fishing.  So with all do respect, how dare you.
Flag up!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:19 PM »
For what it's worth this same question came up on another forum a few weeks ago with the same back and forth.  The general response was that that actual rule in Michigan was ambiguous, so one guy emailed the DNR and got a response, and then posted it.  The response read:

"Thank you for your question.  It is legal to fish catch and release fishing once your daily possession limit has been filled.  However, you need to immediately release the fish above your possession limit or you could be ticketed."

If you search "Limit and done..or limit and fun" on MS you can find the post, it includes a screen shot of the email.

Great information!  I also am one of those individuals that is really concerned with the ambiguity of our conservation laws.  Unfortunately most of the time it is "ticket first" and figure it out later.  I just think the laws are too complicated and it puts those officers in tough situations.
Flag up!

Offline dalhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Wow, I thought I was asking a simple question! but as far as my sportsmanship, greed or experience goes... I think asking the question shows what kind of a sportsman I am... a "legal" one, and as far as greed goes, I don't fish for panfish where a couple fish doesn't make a difference. But when I drive 5 hours to fish, pay for a nonresident license, yes I want to take home my limit when it is only 5, and for experience... I am 53 yrs old and been hunting and fishing most of my life, probably longer than some of you responders to this post have been alive! Oh and by the way I was born and raised in Saginaw, so I'm not some flatlander coming up there to abuse Michigans fine resources. I plan on returning when I retire! ;-)

Offline Bob E

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:00 PM »
I think the DNR officer's mood will effect how they interpret the law and situation as much if not more than the fisherman's mood. If you give them any opportunity to nail you with a fine they are going to. That is their purpose. Good luck in court  ::)
I agree with the folks who are saying stop short of the limit then catch and release until you're done fishing.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:50 AM »

i

FYI, this advice WILL get you a ticket if your riverside with three steelhead, and continue to try and catch and release. I witness it year in and year out on Michigan rivers.

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:20 AM »
Here is a good question: Why is it illegal for a cop to pull you over just to see if you have a drivers license but it is legal for a DNR to stop by numerous times a day just to see if you have a fishing license?

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Keep 24 panfish. Then fish forever, tossing all but the last fish you catch back.

Keep 4 walleye, then fish until you find the 15 pounder - keep that one and leave.

No culling.

No CO will ever beat you up.

Dave

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Why are so many saying you would get a ticket when it is allowed in 100% of bass tournaments in the state?  You don't have to stop fishing when you get your 5 bass, so why if your panfish are alive, why can't you keep fishing and cull if you want?  Where is the rule that says it is illegal to cull panfish if they are alive?  If your 25 are fishcicles, then I can see the problem, but not if they are kept alive and capable of release.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:21 PM »
that 26th bluegill or 51st perch might die from reeling it up too fast or swallowing the hook, then its not gonna swim back down the hole and you could possibly get in trouble for being over the limit.  Anytime you catch a fish, there is a chance that fish might not make it and die after you release it, so the best thing to do is stay one short as others have mentioned or pay the price if you get unlucky and the fish dies in front of a C.O.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.