Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536764 times)

Offline TJdrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3450 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Thinking of checking out kelso this weekend with the kid. Anyone have an ice report?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3451 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:50 PM »

Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline TJdrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3452 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Thanks! Need to join that page.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3453 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:53 PM »
No problem
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline cocolallakid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3454 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:26 PM »
Tried gam today. Ice 5"+ caught 10 perch 8"-11"and 3 bass under a pound. Green n silver spoon n maggots. If the rod wasn't jigging you weren't catching nothing. Lost one big fish at the hole. Most fish were in 20' of water

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3455 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Tried gam today. Ice 5"+ caught 10 perch 8"-11"and 3 bass under a pound. Green n silver spoon n maggots. If the rod wasn't jigging you weren't catching nothing. Lost one big fish at the hole. Most fish were in 20' of water

I remember going there once when I was REALLY young with my dad. Is there public access? I have not been in decades...

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3456 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Lots of public access along the road.  Helps to stop and pray for fish at the Church of the Woods along the way.

Offline EL GUAPO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3457 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Hey all, first time logging in here this winter.  I've yet to get out ice fishing.  I've been following the Idaho Ice Fishing Reports on FB but doesn't seem like there's much info for North Idaho there.  Came here to see if there was safe ice anywhere.  The weekend before last I ventured down to the chain lakes to check things out.  The water is very low and the ice isn't safe.  I ended up fishing open water for pike in the channel (puddle) between Cave and Medicine, had a nice campfire with the family, and the kids enjoyed playing in the mud.  Then this last weekend I went to check on Sportsmen's at Hayden.  Almost all open water.  Ended up once again fishing open water off the dock.  Then yesterday drove around Fernan.  East end looks sketchy (actually it all looks sketchy) but there were about a 1/2 dozen guys fishing under the powerline near the west end boat launch.  I read here about Bonner lake having Burbot and have read the F&G articles regarding the new fishery in Kootenai River.  Anyone have tips for catching them in the river or at Bonner through the ice?  What are you using?  How do you fish for them?  What public access points are there along the Kootnai River that might be promising?  Anyone been to Gamble lake? Safe ice?  I'm just in a lazy winter slump.  I need to get out.  Someone give me some ideas and hope.  Thanks all!  Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. 

Had to re-register because it's been so long since I last posted. Upper Twin had decent ice (4-5+) and Lower Twin had some too. Blue Lake near Priest River & Kelso (as reported by others above) also has some ice.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3458 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Lots of public access along the road.  Helps to stop and pray for fish at the Church of the Woods along the way.

Ha! will do.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3459 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Ice report for Avondale Lake after you get past the Zone where the fire department did they're rescuing training you have a solid 3 to 3 and 1/2 in where they did their training you have a to 2 and 1/2 in heavy enough to hold my fat rear

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3460 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Went out on upper Twin today.  Ice was better then I expected.  About 8" of pretty good ice with 4 to 6" of snow and slush on top.  Fishing was slow for small perch.  But, its a start.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3461 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Went out on upper Twin today.  Ice was better then I expected.  About 8" of pretty good ice with 4 to 6" of snow and slush on top.  Fishing was slow for small perch.  But, its a start.

Did you check out the ice on Lower Twin?
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3462 on: Jan 26, 2019, 12:37 AM »
Did you check out the ice on Lower Twin?
ice has been close to the same  as upper twin

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3463 on: Jan 26, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Thanks I hope to get over there today.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3464 on: Jan 26, 2019, 09:28 PM »
We hit upper twin today. Fishing was slow but we managed to scratch out a fine bag of fish by midday when we called it quits. Mixed bag of mostly blue gill, half a dozen crappie, a nice sized largemouth and a couple of perch which I probably wouldn’t have kept elsewhere. Not a bad day on the ice.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3465 on: Jan 26, 2019, 10:37 PM »
 ;D you left too some hugeinchina another big bass was caught out of the hole you were getting  the bluegills in before  I showed  up

Offline teamcoco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3466 on: Jan 27, 2019, 12:32 AM »
We hit upper twin today. Fishing was slow but we managed to scratch out a fine bag of fish by midday when we called it quits. Mixed bag of mostly blue gill, half a dozen crappie, a nice sized largemouth and a couple of perch which I probably wouldn’t have kept elsewhere. Not a bad day on the ice.

What was the ice thickness like? Looking to get out in the next few days.

I'm new on the forum btw. I'll be checking coco once every week or two and keep it updated here. (last time i was up there it was not good)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3467 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Fished Round lake today.  Fishing was very slow.  Saw quite a few (probably perch) near the bottom on my flasher, but they didn't want much to do with me.  Ended up with a couple of perch 8 to 10 inches.  8 inches of ice with 4 inches of snow and slush on top.  6 other people out there when I was and they didn't catch much either.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3468 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:39 PM »

I'm new on the forum btw. I'll be checking coco once every week or two and keep it updated here. (last time i was up there it was not good)

Ice thickness was good. 7”-8”. Much of that is cloudy, but 3”-4” of clear near the bottom.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3469 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:14 PM »

Plenty of ice on lower Twin people going clear across, fishing was really slow though. Lots of kokanee on the electronics just no bites.

Offline arborfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3470 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:45 PM »
does anyone know the thickness out on sportsman access on Hayden?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3471 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:46 PM »
does anyone know the thickness out on sportsman access on Hayden?

oh about  1-2 inches  if lucky  might get some safe ice after this weekend

Offline arborfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3472 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Thanks for the update

Offline Stiks32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3473 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Anyone been out to Spirit Lake lately? Hit Kelso over the weekend. Solid 8" of good ice, and bite was great for 12-14" bows if you stayed 12ft> of water.  Looks like it's actually going to be winter here next week!
Thanks

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3474 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:15 PM »
I'll be checking  spirit on Friday  don't  think  it's safe only just recently froze

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3475 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:16 AM »
someone was on nautical loop access a couple days a go-I'm hitting it on friday and I'll go to lower twin if its sketchy.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3476 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:07 AM »
someone was on nautical loop access a couple days a go-I'm hitting it on friday and I'll go to lower twin if its sketchy.

I might see you out there

Offline Stiks32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3477 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on Spirit. I'm gunna run up there and check it out today. Will let you know how it looks. If it's no good, I'll probably go check out mirror.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3478 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on Spirit. I'm gunna run up there and check it out today. Will let you know how it looks. If it's no good, I'll probably go check out mirror.

I was on Mirror 2 weeks ago and ice was good, 3'' of clear and 4'' of milky but solid ice. I didn't have my traction devices for my boots with me so only went out about 200 yards. Brookies were biting but nothing else.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3479 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Rose Lake has open water and skim ice.  Hauser has good ice and people are fishing.  Upper and Lower Twin have good ice and people are fishing both.  Fernan has thin ice at pull outs, but people are fishing inside the power line on the West end.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.