Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Not a bad quick little trip.  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Not a bad quick little trip.
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:38 PM »

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Not a bad quick little trip.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Good times, nice shack!
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:10 PM »
Looks like fun. Where did you go?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:11 PM »

Spirit lake......at the IGL since I couldn't go very far after kids ball games on Saturday

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:46 PM »
Awesome!

Eh......I got out so it was nice, but if you've seen some of my other post I'm not a huge fan of the IGL. To much fishing pressure. Caught a lot of perch but all 6in or smaller. Walleye was a nice one, but a slot fish.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Nice job! Did ya get any on the rattle reels?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:03 PM »
Nice job! Did ya get any on the rattle reels?

Not a sniff.

All small 6in perch. Then this 19in walleye on my dead stick at about 11:30 at night.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:13 PM »
Keep it up! My biggest eye came from my rattle reel last week. Great way to wake up.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Looks like fun, is that your rig - looks pretty nice

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:05 AM »
The IGL'S is pumping out lots of quality fish. Have to move until you find them, can't just sit and wait.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:18 AM »
The IGL'S is pumping out lots of quality fish. Have to move until you find them, can't just sit and wait.

Yes it does. You will never hear anyone who lives up there say this however. According to them the lakes suck, are over fished and there is nothing in there worth a crap 😉

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:28 PM »
That’s right. They are in my freezer. 🤐

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Yes it does. You will never hear anyone who lives up there say this however. According to them the lakes suck, are over fished and there is nothing in there worth a crap 😉
Well I have to disagree with you on this. I live up there and there is only one person I know of that says the IGLs are overrated and a waste of time. And that would be the person who started this thread. He always seems to be bashing the fishery on this site but yet he still fishes it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:50 PM »
Well I have to disagree with you on this. I live up there and there is only one person I know of that says the IGLs are overrated and a waste of time. And that would be the person who started this thread. He always seems to be bashing the fishery on this site but yet he still fishes it.

I fished it twice in the last few weeks. Since it was close and had enough ice to get my wheel house on.

Other than that I haven't fished it for a long time. I would say maybe a year ago with a co-worker.  I don't know why people get so upset over others saying the IGL sucks. It is just someone's opinion. Which I still will stand by today. Also, there are a lot of people the think the IGL is over pressured and is an over rated fishery. I guess it's kinda like girls.....some guys have higer standards then others. Fat ones need loving to......so go ahead guys fish the heck outta the IGL I could care less. I just try to help the poor souls trying to plan a fishing, and point them towards better alternatives.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I fished it twice in the last few weeks. Since it was close and had enough ice to get my wheel house on.

Other than that I haven't fished it for a long time. I would say maybe a year ago with a co-worker.  I don't know why people get so upset over others saying the IGL sucks. It is just someone's opinion. Which I still will stand by today. Also, there are a lot of people the think the IGL is over pressured and is an over rated fishery. I guess it's kinda like girls.....some guys have higer standards then others. Fat ones need loving to......so go ahead guys fish the heck outta the IGL I could care less. I just try to help the poor souls trying to plan a fishing, and point them towards better alternatives.

So you fish the IGL'S a few times a year and can't catch fish and then say it's over pressured and over rated? Yet thousands of people go there and do fantastic. Why would anyone trust your opinion on the IGL'S?  Seems to me you settled for the big bone woman, like your fishing.  My opinion only.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:07 PM »
So you fish the IGL'S a few times a year and can't catch fish and then say it's over pressured and over rated? Yet thousands of people go their and do fantastic. Why would anyone trust your opinion on the IGL'S?  Seems to me you settled for the big bone woman, like your fishing.  My opinion only.

They don't have to trust my opinion, nor do I care if they do. Some people have differing opinions on what fantastic is. If you love it great for you. I catch fish when I go to the IGL, but it surely does not impress me with the fishing when it comes to quality or quanity. Plenty of other lakes around that turn out better quality and quanity consistently. 

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Plenty of other lakes around that turn out better quality and quanity consistently.

I'd like to know which lakes those are!  ;D   

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:54 AM »
I live in SD, born and raised. But now basically live on the border of SD/IA south of Sioux Falls. I often times go to NW Iowa to fish as its basically an hour drive and quicker for me to get to, then heading North in SD to fish some of those lakes. Both places have their pros and cons but to completely write off the IGL would be a huge mistake. We have caught some nice bluegills this year, and a few perch and crappie mixed in to also. I would say the perch and walleye are sub par compared to SD but still some great fishing to be had if you put the time and work in.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:57 PM »
I live in the area (Spirit Lake to be exact) and fish the IGLs 95% of the time due to proximity. I'd definitely had bad days but I've also had really good days. One nice thing about the area is the variety of opportunities available. From sight-fishing bluegills to perch/walleye combo days to hunting yellow bass to targeting big pike, there's a variety of option on the table due to the differences between the lakes and how they fish.

I'm no expert/guide and probably wouldn't put the area on a 'fishing bucket list' (it's not a Devil's Lake or LOTW by any means) but it's a great area to scratch the fishing itch. That said, I've still got my first family trip to the NW Angle for next December ;D.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.