Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Brushy Creek Ice  (Read 23273 times)

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Brushy Creek Ice
« on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Any reports on the ice in any of the bays/fingers? Specifically would like to know what the south boat ramp bay looks like around Taylor's Island.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brushy Creek Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Don't know about the Island but their was a few guys off the north ramp this morning to the east in the trees.

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:27 PM »
were fishin the north end. unknown about the south ramp. good luck.

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Probably about 4-5" by island. Went out today and it was 5"

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:36 AM »
Thanks guys. Good luck.

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:02 PM »
When ya heading over spoonie?

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Waiting on a report of good ice would possibility of heading that way.tomorrow

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Not biting at all went out for 6 hours and caught a dinky bluegill and one 9" crappie. Only marked a few fish!

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:56 PM »
i was out there for 4 hours this afternoon, set up in a stand of trees at the north end, good 5 inches of under me sittin in the sun and i pulled in a few nice bluegills i just finished cleaning, great day on the ice!

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Toofusd, I live in the area and know the llake well shoot me a pm if youre ever in the area and wana go.

Offline fishwater45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Fished it today from sunrise to 2pm.  Solid 5 inches everywhere on north end.  didn't catch any big ones, but did get a mixed bag of perch, walleye, gills and crappie.  Sorry didn't take pics (i know it didn't happen then).  It was a great first day of the season.  wouldn't say fishn was hot, but it was consistant.  Others around me seemed to be doing much better than I, like that's a news flash.  that was my first time there and would recommend it to anyone.

Offline jgmx1012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:57 PM »
First time out this year! I was on the ice from 930 til dark. Great day of fishing a lot of crappie and blue gill. All nice size fish. Caught and released :)

Offline holdem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Any new updates on Brushy? Is there safe ice all over now or just up north. Wanting to come up early tomorrow morning but a little concerned about walking out in the dark not knowing the ice conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

Holdem
Genesis 27:3

Offline dreed2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:39 PM »
We fished the North side but that's where we always fish..... as far as i could see there were people fishing all the way down the lake. We had 6" of the best ice i have seen seen in a year. If the weather holds i will be driving on it next Saturday! By the way... we started to catch and release after a couple hours of fishing as we didn't want to clean over a 5 gallon pale of selectively kept fish!

Offline jsdad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Yeah just start out on the north end I've been out every day since christmas. The fishing has been so good on the north end i havent even got the desire to venture further although im sure I could. Seen plenty of quads and some wheelhouses out.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Yeah just start out on the north end I've been out every day since christmas. The fishing has been so good on the north end i havent even got the desire to venture further although im sure I could. Seen plenty of quads and some wheelhouses out.
Also saw a couple trucks today.

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:27 AM »
Morons asking for a $5000 truck bath hahahahaha ???  ???

Offline THUNDERICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:46 AM »
There is a large area of open water on the south end of the lake running from the beach area east accross the lake.  Geese and ducks are keeping it open.  Keep that in mind when driving around the lake later this year.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:52 PM »

driving on 8" of ice?

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:25 PM »
driving on 8" of ice?
closer to 7 1/2".....  :o

Offline jsdad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Was out yesterday with a buddy and the fishing has been slower on the north end so we made the decision to head south and try. The cove behind the equestrian campgrounds off the main entrance is about as far as we went, there was a crack about 4" or so wide and from what i can tell we were most likely the first to put holes that far down. We fished both sides of the crack and the icewas the same on both sides. 7". We found 6" in one area on the west side across from the campgrounds. Found slightly better fishing we each managed a limit of crappies 9"@10" all selectively kept and countless dinks got thrown back. We did manage to find some perch that were to small to keep and they were only around for about 45 minutes before they disappeared.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:27 AM »
So from the sounds of it then the ice should be ok down by the island area?  Just trying to clarify because we're thinking of heading that way this saturday ;D

Offline jsdad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:30 AM »
its fine down that way to there have been people getting on at the south ramp. There was open water down by the beach last i knew and the last time i was out there were a bunch of geese coming from that direction.

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:21 PM »
About 10" out there today. But a kid fell through around a group of trees , up to this chest too. Be careful around the bid clusters of trees. Spot was off the north ramp south about 1/2 and in trees to east.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Wood absorbs a lot of heat, the best areas for structure will probably have less ice. Everyone please be safe, bring your picks with you!

Offline thunderbutt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Everyone  needs to be safe and smart. Was at north boat ramp this morning  11 inches of ice people driving cars vans and trucks on the ice  we got off when a 4wheeler  pulled a slide-in pickup camper mounted on a trailer 75 feet from us and water came up the holes guess u can't fix stupid

Offline jsdad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:47 PM »
So hows the ice look lately? I've got zero time to get out and check myself and sundays are gonna be my only day off for quite awhile. Have any of you been in the cove behind the equestrian campground on the westside?

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:32 AM »
So hows the ice look lately? I've got zero time to get out and check myself and sundays are gonna be my only day off for quite awhile. Have any of you been in the cove behind the equestrian campground on the westside?

I have some buddies who fished there yesterday. I'll see what I can find out.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:26 PM »
We fished out of the north ramp Thurs. with the ATV and the ice was fine 10" plus almost half way down the lake. We heard there is open water close to the dam from geese  I guess. Today there will probably water all over on top and will make it very slick. Oh, fishing sucked for us.
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:29 PM »
it usually does at this lake when u dont know what u are doing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.